PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding drop zones

welliewanger
15th Dec 2007, 21:34
Hi all,
I visited an airflied today which has a DZ very near to the runway. There were no meatbombers at the time because of cloud. There was no ATC, just "XXXX Radio". In this situation I have two questions:

1. What is the system to let pilots know it's about to start raining people?

2. How large should the circuit pattern be to avoid the DZ?

Thanks

Spitoon
16th Dec 2007, 07:27
XXXX Radio would probably tell you. Take a look in the AIP if it's a licensed aerodrome. You may find some useful information in CAP660 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP660.PDF)

2 sheds
16th Dec 2007, 09:44
As Spitoon says, surely the AGCS would have that information - if not, they jolly well should have if it's as near as you suggest. One of the few useful things that such a service could do. If there is an ATZ and the activity is within it, then the AGCS must have that info.

Jerricho
16th Dec 2007, 14:06
Do they not NOTAM the activity hours over there?

chevvron
16th Dec 2007, 15:25
Not NOTAMMED but usually 'HJ' as notified in the AIP

Diddley Dee
17th Dec 2007, 06:14
Chevers

Off at a tangent a bit. Would you on radar outside CAS, route an ac over a DZ say at FL100 that you know to be active throughout the day up to FL150 when you cant see anything airborne in the immediate area let alone squawking 0033?

DD

twelveoclockhigh
17th Dec 2007, 06:49
At the airfield I fly at, which is licensed, there is parachuting and has no engines running on the field whilst the drop takes place.

What happens is that the jump aircraft calls 5 minutes to drop, which usually gives enough time for anyone on the ground to go if they have started already. No engines can be started - the local rule is to call for start - after that point until all the canopies are on the ground. Any aircraft which can't land within the five minutes has to remain outside the ATZ. The chutes usually take about 5 mins to come down and after that the aircraft can start etc.

ATCO Fred
17th Dec 2007, 08:57
I work at a Licensed airfield with a paradrop site nearby ......and......regardless of how many times we tell visiting GA and Biz Jets to avoid it they regularly fly through it's activity.

You really would have thought - that with the technology available today, these things would not happen.

C'est la vie!