PDA

View Full Version : Good news at Lee on Solent

Mike Cross
14th Dec 2007, 17:22
Hampshire Police have again extended the deadline, See Press Release here (http://www.hampshire.police.uk/Internet/news/releases/Flying+extended+by+five+months+at+Daedalus+airfield.htm).

This is the most important bit:-
This newly agreed extension to May next year will allow Lee Flying Association Limited to pursue consultation with other interested parties, regarding the potential development and future operation of the airfield. Hampshire Constabulary has agreed to this on the basis that it will agree to any suitable solution reached by the other parties during this period, providing it does not affect the constabulary’s operational requirements or involve the constabulary in any additional cost.

More info at www.eghf.co.uk

TheOddOne
14th Dec 2007, 20:32
Great, well done to those of you who have worked so hard to make this happen.

However, having read the press release it doesn't appear to be a done deal just yet. On the face of it, the view taken that Hampshire Constabulary shouldn't be paying for any facilities beyond those required to run their own operation is a reasonable one, but the not-very-subtly hidden agenda at the bottom of the release is that Lee is just for blue-light services and serves no other purpose. This is of course completely at odds with the declared intention elsewhere that the aerodrome should be open as a General Aviation facility.

GA, of course, on its own can never make money or even break-even; it needs imaginative funding scheme to take full advantage of every facet of the site in a long-term plan. It's beyond me, I'm afraid, but I look forward to being able to fly in to see my sister in Alverstoke next year!

As to the restrictions placed upon fixed-wing power operations by the presence of gliders on the aerodrome, I strongly suggest a visit to Wycombe to learn how the two can exist alongside one another.

TheOddOne

paulc
19th Dec 2007, 14:16
This news is too late for 1 business at Lee - they are moving to another airfield next year because they have lost a lot of work as a result of the situation and cannot afford to have the threat of closure hanging over them any longer.

DBisDogOne
19th Dec 2007, 16:27
Mmmmmm, anyone else forming the impression that some folk in Hampshire Constabulary are thinking:

"Bugger, we've rather misjudged this situation haven't we, where do we go from here?"

rans6andrew
19th Dec 2007, 20:48
I heard that some on airfield flight operators had been offered a lease until May which did not include access to the hard runway!

If anyone is looking at how Wycombe Air Park (Booker) they should know that not only do power aircraft operate with gliders but also with helicopters (inc training) and a microlight flying school. Has been like that for years.

Andrew.

No Foehn
19th Dec 2007, 21:29
Or what about Gap Tallard?

Four parallel runways, two grass and two hard, all often in use simultaneously by group A, microlights, autogyros, gliders, their tugs and parachute aircraft. Plus there's the military helicopter base at the side of the airfield and two helicopter maintenance facilities all with frequent movements. And intensive parachuting onto the DZ right by the main runway, again simultaneously. And the EMS heli out and back again all day from its spot by the tower. And it's run by AFIS agents. And it's got restrictive high ground all around. And to cap it all the parachute Pilatus's always land against QFU, switching runways on short final to accommodate everyone else.

And it works fine.

jonkil
20th Dec 2007, 09:33
Or what about Gap Tallard?
Four parallel runways, two grass and two hard, all often in use simultaneously by group A, microlights, autogyros, gliders, their tugs and parachute aircraft. Plus there's the military helicopter base at the side of the airfield and two helicopter maintenance facilities all with frequent movements. And intensive parachuting onto the DZ right by the main runway, again simultaneously. And the EMS heli out and back again all day from its spot by the tower. And it's run by AFIS agents. And it's got restrictive high ground all around. And to cap it all the parachute Pilatus's always land against QFU, switching runways on short final to accommodate everyone else.
And it works fine.
The French seem to be able to do thing with so little fuss... its a pleasure to fly there