PDA

View Full Version : Etihad - A flight deck visit?

Whenwe
14th Dec 2007, 06:56
I suppose I am wasting my time with current regulations in place. But if you don't ask.......
I am semi-retired, a lifetime in aviation, pilot, instructor, manager, flight inspector etc. Pax in cattle class 20th Dec. Johannesburg to Abu Dhabi. 21st Abu Dhabi to Sydney (a loo-oong flight) and return on the 12th of January.
Any suggestions?

sec 3
14th Dec 2007, 07:14
Not supposed to, but you never know 'till you ask when you get onboard. Heard one of the EY captains got reported recently by one of the trolley dollies for that and got into a little ****:bored:

Insh Allah
14th Dec 2007, 07:55
SEC3

In this day and age at EY, I doubt very much that anyone will allow you...:ugh:

tbaylx
14th Dec 2007, 11:26
Just ask on the ground before or after the flight when the crew isn't too busy, most of the guys won't mind at all once the aircraft is at the gate.

Not going to happen anymore unfortunately airborne. Wish we could still do that.

Whenwe
14th Dec 2007, 12:02
Thanks guys/dolls.
If you happen to be on the flight, spare me a thought.
Agree, much more relaxed in the old days. And as a passenger nowadays is :mad:

Jetjock330
14th Dec 2007, 12:45
Whenwe, check your PM.

Togalk
14th Dec 2007, 21:49
"Heard one of the EY captains got reported recently by one of the trolley dollies for that and got into a little ****"

Actually, the Bit.h got in sh.t, for reporting the Captain, because the visit was by one of the "approved" people.

mensaboy
15th Dec 2007, 08:00
I don't recommend asking for a jumpseat. The rules are in place for good reason. If any Captain accepts a request for a cockpit visit during a flight, other than for those individuals allowed, I think he would be crazy.
When it comes to company employees not being allowed flight deck seats or company pilots trying to get home etc, then of course that is up to each company. If you are unaware, our company pilots are not allowed flight deck visits while travelling. In fact I can't even get a jumpseat for travel. It is unfortunate that some companies have taken the opportunity to deny jumpseat access as a means of 'control' over pilots and other personel but when it comes to jumpseat access to non-company people, clearly this is not only a required lawful denial but post 911 it is common sense too.
I don't know any pilot who would accept a request for a cockpit visit during a flight. I often entertain people in the flightdeck once parked at the end of the flight though.

Insh Allah
15th Dec 2007, 16:20
YOU MUST BE OVER @ EK!!!

Here you will!!

GMDS
16th Dec 2007, 04:49
.... and I bet everyone told him what nice and shiny clothes he was wearing ....

Whenwe
16th Dec 2007, 06:18
Ahh...ahh the "Jumpseat"

Please let us not open a can of worms......

I asked a simple question and the answer is loud and clear! NO! :ugh:

However, let us not forget what these rules and regulation are suppose to stop or prevent.
We in south africa live in Fort Know to the power of 10, and crime, rape and the killing are getting worse.

The only point I am trying to make is that if someone wants your aircraft, he/she will take it. Nothing seems to stop the f:mad:rs.

Take care you guys and dolls. Have a wonderful festive period and do a good (a real pisser) landing for me!

ironbutt57
16th Dec 2007, 06:54
Togalk...thats actually a bit of a worry....why would a crewmember get in trouble for reporting what she thought to be a security breach???:confused:

Bigtitsmallbum
16th Dec 2007, 06:58
Welcome to EY....:ouch:

SuperRanger
16th Dec 2007, 08:24
why would a crewmember get in trouble for reporting what she thought to be a security breach???

perhaps, she could have asked the captain first instead of making a report?! had she done so, perhaps she would have known the visitor was on the "approved" list ;) personally, i dont appreciate these 'reporting' culture. if my crew has any issues, it would be appropriate if we sort it out. only if the matter cannot be resolve, should a report be made. at least thats what i try to encourage my crew to do :hmm:

SR

ironbutt57
16th Dec 2007, 09:04
I had perhaps made the wrong assumption she had pursued all channels including querying the capt prior to filing a report in the office...:ouch:

Bigtitsmallbum
16th Dec 2007, 09:18
in an organisation where changes occur not because they suit the organisational requirments but because they help to meet personal goals, rules fall in the gray area.

Unless you are well connected or plugged in by someone influential, whatever decision you make is not the right one, even though common sense and training does tell you otherwise.

Welcome to the Etihad culture!

Togalk
17th Dec 2007, 04:40
Ironbutt, Yes, that is the point I was trying to make. All she had to do was ask him, but instead she figured she would write a report and "get a Captain in trouble" and it would further her career. This atmosphere never existed here until recently. You can make your own assumptions about that.

funpilot
18th Dec 2007, 05:10
My Dear

according to what you ask is not even the company rules but is the GCAA rules CAR OPS 1 you can find it very clear any time i travle i dont like to be with POB but with my CPT&FO but what to do is 9/11

NG_Kaptain
18th Dec 2007, 17:14
She reported him in retaliation for allowing the crew controlled rest during a very delayed flight. She countermanded the captains decision allowing the crew to rest and then she promptly fell asleep in her jumpseat. When called to task by him on both issues she tried to get even by reporting him. Most GF cabin managers are good but there are a few bad apples who came over to EY.

Whenwe
19th Dec 2007, 05:32
"A happy crew is a safe crew"

I am not suggesting the opposite is true but I have been reading Pprune for a long time and if the opposite was true then there is not a safe airline on pprune.

Just as well you cannot program "emotion" into the FMS.

Tomorrow will be my first flight on Etihad and please "smiles" all round......its Xmas.

I have been in aviation just short of 50 years, you have the world at your feet, don't screw it up. Enjoy it.

Sadly, with the current atmosphere worldwide, visiting any flight deck is no longer a desired option.

boeingdream787
19th Dec 2007, 16:35
" I have been in aviation just short of 50 years "...........OMG....!!
How old are we NOW then Whenwe.........just curious....:cool:.

Whenwe
19th Dec 2007, 18:45
BD787,

I am 70. No longer flying but very active in Aviation Consultancy.
Could not dream of doing anything other than something to do with aviation.
Must go to bed, have an Etihad flight to catch in the morning. :ok: