PDA

View Full Version : Serco Dubai offer-Heathrow,Marriott Hotel

nodi
14th Dec 2007, 05:03
Hallo guys,
Does anyone know was the meeting held on Tuesday 11th December 2007?
And if yes, what was the offer, which like they said "has to be seen to be believed"!
How many ACOs they need for Jebel Ali Airport?
Were there many ATCos there and were there many ATCos who were interested in applying?
Any news from there?
This is for all of us who are far from there!
Thanks.

Yellow Snow
14th Dec 2007, 10:41
Hi offer was:-

400k AED per year, rising up to 490k with OJTI and Supervisor role.

Add on to this yearly housing allowance of 160k for married and 180k for married without kids.

Add on full family private medical and schooling allowance for up to 2 children, plus other little extras such as telephone line rental, travel allowance and 2 flights home each year for a single or 1 flight per family member (up to 4)

The salary alone without the housing and other allowances works out to about £4600 per month, providing the Dollar doesn't weaken any further and the projected UK interest rate cuts happen, this salary will only increase, or if you believe the dollar could go any lower against the pound, then this GBP figure could decrease.

They are looking for about 50 odd controllers over the nest few years, with either tower or approach, you don't need both! You'll initially work at DXB to release more experienced controllers to JXB. The plans for JXB look very rude indeed:eek:

ATCO turnout was low on the night, but those that did go were certainly interested in what was on the table, and I don't mean the nibbles:}

Tubular_belle
14th Dec 2007, 11:57
Was this solely for experienced controllers?

Red Dragon
14th Dec 2007, 12:07
Tubular Belle,

Yes it's for experienced controllers, preferably from busy international airports.

:ok:

smallonions
14th Dec 2007, 17:39
Did they say if they are planning any more road trips to other places around the globe or will a C.V. with an expression of interest suffice?

Did they specify a contract length?

Ta in advance!:)

prowler
14th Dec 2007, 18:27
Normally, SERCO offers a 3 Year Contract......After that it is up to you to stay or go away.....:hmm:

BUT....

If you sign the Contract & you decide to leave BEFORE the Contract expires, then you will probably have to pay a 'fine', to cover the Costs incurred by SERCO, proportional on the no.of months you have left in the Contract!!

smallonions
14th Dec 2007, 19:17
Thanks Prowler:ok:

man friday
15th Dec 2007, 08:10
was the salary tax free?

Tin-Bullet
15th Dec 2007, 11:04
was the salary tax free?

What have you been drinking before posting here?:ugh:

Yellow Snow
15th Dec 2007, 13:42
Just send a CV if interested.

Forgot to say that the deal includes 56 days a year leave.

And yes, it goes without saying that it's tax free!

Point Seven
15th Dec 2007, 13:54
And how much is your allowance for acting as their chief promoter in the UK then YS?

Yellow Snow
15th Dec 2007, 14:18
Very good P7:)

Merely a man with info.

I'm no Serco Don King;) But as you ask; 3 camels and 2 barrels of crude.

prowler
15th Dec 2007, 17:00
Forgot to say that the deal includes 56 days a year leave.

56 CALENDAR Days ...NOT INCLUDING OFF DAYS!!!!!!:*

Kertez
15th Dec 2007, 17:49
It's actually 36 leave days (excluding off days):eek:

RustyNail
15th Dec 2007, 18:02
Good point made by Prowler and Kertez.

With Serco you have to "earn" your off duty days by working the preceeding days as opposed to having them "rostered" as a part of your shift cycle (depending on where your from)

E.G. If you work 2 afternoon shifts then you "earn" the next day off.

If you take those 2 afternoon shifts off as leave, then you also have to take the third day as leave becaouse you havnt earned it yet. That is how the 56 days get chewed-up.

Just something to bear in mind when you are considering the package, you still get plenty of leave to use, as long as there are enough staff on station to allow you actually take the leave, and it can sometimes be a lottery with getting dates that actually suit you.

prowler
15th Dec 2007, 18:27
Good point made by Prowler and Kertez.

With Serco you have to "earn" your off duty days by working the preceeding days as opposed to having them "rostered" as a part of your shift cycle (depending on where your from)

E.G. If you work 2 afternoon shifts then you "earn" the next day off.

If you take those 2 afternoon shifts off as leave, then you also have to take the third day as leave becaouse you havnt earned it yet. That is how the 56 days get chewed-up.

Just something to bear in mind when you are considering the package, you still get plenty of leave to use, as long as there are enough staff on station to allow you actually take the leave, and it can sometimes be a lottery with getting dates that actually suit you.

A MUCH BETTER POINT made by RustyNail:ok:

Yellow Snow
15th Dec 2007, 18:37
Good points made by all:-

As this definately wasn't explained!!:eek:

So as Kertez says is 36 days a more accurate figure??

prowler
15th Dec 2007, 18:54
So as Kertez says is 36 days a more accurate figure??

You can say so, & be very close, BUT all in all you need to really get 'the chance' to take all your annual leave, BY YEAR END!!!

As you might know Staffing Levels in DXB do not help TOO MUCH!!:sad:

YS, I 'thought' P.T. would have explained all this to you....:);)

choclit runway
16th Dec 2007, 11:57
Coral,

If your definition of 'reasonable' costs 240-300k you must be a hard person to please. 200k is enough to find somewhere VERY nice (size dependent obviously) for your average family of four and with a little more legwork you can find somewhere inside the budget. They hold a few villas and apartments but availabilty can be poor. Especially now as I think the flow of staff is going to be more one way!

Working conditions are ok but the fun starts when you walk out the door and start spending your hard earned fils.

Roster m,m,a,a,n,n,s,ooo. No major problem getting leave.

Facilities and equipment lacking but you get by.

Locals? You will be working with highly trained professionals of various race, religion and nationality.

Overtime 2500Dhs for nightshift but rarely offered and optional.

I'm sure you will find some improvements on where you are working and some things that are worse but from my experience so far the Dubai experience is what you make it and I believe you get out what you put in.

Best advice as always.... Come have a THOROUGH look around and see if you like it.

Cheers, CR.

Guy D'ageradar
16th Dec 2007, 14:54
Coral,

As per Choclit, it is absolutely essential that you pay a visit before deciding to move to the ME. I, in fact, didn't before my first foray out there (young and naive) but personally, that wouldn't have changed anything and I'll soon be going back for more! Some people, though, are just not cut out for life out there and don't last long. Much better to find out before the family upheaval....

Assuming that you do go, try the driving (make sure you get an international license first!), have a look at the rental properties available and talk to the guys that are already there. Check out the prices - apart from accommodation, life, even in Dubai, IS considerably cheaper than most of Europe at least. Then go to the beach, have a beer and imagine if this is the way you'd like to spend your winters!

Good luck.

Guy.:)