PDA

View Full Version : Tibenham Fly-In - Sunday 30th December

SkyHawk-N
13th Dec 2007, 19:11
Last year we arranged a fly-in at Tibenham at the end of December. Unfortunately the weather wasn't brilliant but a reasonable number of people turned out and we had a very pleasent time eating and having a chat with fellow aviators. Not to be deterred we are arranging another fly-in on Sunday 30th December and everyone is invited.

One of the local aerobatic pilots may well put on a bit of a show (weather/availability permitting), as he did last year (thanks again DJ) and I'm sure StiknRuda will not want to miss the opportunity of showing off his new two ship team to an appreciative audience. ;)

This year we are celebrating the opening of our new AVGAS fuel pump which is now available 7 days a week and is open to visitors (PPR just for an airfield briefing and to ensure someone is available to help) as well as club members.

It would be great to see any of you who can make it, there will be good food, a very warm fire and the chance to talk aircraft to other like minded folk.

Here is the Norfolk Gliding Club's web site for information on our airfield and local weather.

Tibenham Airfield (http://www.norfolkglidingclub.com/TibenhamAirfield.aspx)

stiknruda
13th Dec 2007, 19:17
IF
Nelson2 is free, then we'd be delighted to come the full 6 nm and show you our 2008 formation aerobatic display routine.
IF Tib has a 500' CAA waiver we can perform down to our minumums?
ELSE We'll do the fun stuff a bit further away at 500 agl.
Nelson Lead

SkyHawk-N
13th Dec 2007, 19:30
Stik that's fantastic, extremly generous of you, thanks. :ok: Not sure about the CAA waiver thingy, probably haven't got one but will check.

Zulu Alpha
13th Dec 2007, 21:11
Its in my diary as long as the weather is OK for a long X country and I can find it when I get there!!

DJ

TheKentishFledgling
14th Dec 2007, 09:17
See you there - looking forward to it.

tKF

stiknruda
14th Dec 2007, 15:07
I've just heard that subject to some decent practice weather, Nelson Two will be available.

So our offer to show you guys our 2008 formation aeros display is down to the following things:

Weather
Serviceability
Currency
Someone with a modicum of sense to be on the A/G freq

I can handle 2 and 3, Chris - please make sure that 4 is covered, it wasn't on the last 2 occasions that I ventured that far westwards!

I'll bell you before the occasion and sort out a slot time, early afternoon will probably suit us best.

Nelson Lead

Justiciar
14th Dec 2007, 15:37
This I shall look forward to seeing :)

I must get over before then - I have forgotten what the Pioneer looks like! Still, I have had some other distractions :ok:

Rallye Driver
14th Dec 2007, 16:41
Planning to bring a formation of three Bulldogs from North Weald.

RD :ok:

stiknruda
14th Dec 2007, 17:51
Ah well, if there is competition from RD and 3 bulldogs, you'd better book them instead.

;);):E

SkyHawk-N
14th Dec 2007, 18:08
I've just heard that subject to some decent practice weather, Nelson Two will be available.
Great news Stik. Of course, Nelson 3 will also be there. :cool:

Chris - please make sure that 4 is covered, it wasn't on the last 2 occasions that I ventured that far westwards

Radio? wots that? sounds a bit complicated! :confused: Actually I will be on the radio, or Andrew will be if I can rope him in (are you out there Andrew? :ok:)

SkyHawk-N
14th Dec 2007, 18:15
I have forgotten what the Pioneer looks like!
Justiciar, that got nicked a few weeks ago if I remember rightly. :E

Planning to bring a formation of three Bulldogs from North Weald.

Great RD, look forward in seeing you all.

DJ, I'm sure your excellent nav skills won't let you down. If you hit Norway you've missed us. ;)

S-Works
14th Dec 2007, 18:20
methinks I might come and visit!

SkyHawk-N
14th Dec 2007, 18:28

...and you will be most welcome bose-x, although be aware we do not possess an instrument approach procedure. ;)

Rallye Driver
14th Dec 2007, 19:40
Stik, there's no competition from us. :}

We're coming for the Cow Pie and using it as an excuse for a bit of gentle formating.

RD :ok:

Zulu Alpha
14th Dec 2007, 20:42
We're coming for the Cow Pie
There is a very good deal on Turkey pie at the moment in this part of the country
Just remember not to cough afterwards or DEFRA will pounce. We've been feeding fishermans friends to our chickens, just in case. Does give the eggs a rather distinctive favour
If you hit Norway you've missed us
Is that before or after Norwich!!!
I'll be in close formation with myself.
DJ

ps, anyone manning or womanning the pumps this Sunday?

Biggles1049
15th Dec 2007, 08:08
Great news , lets hope for better weather this year.

Hope you're spreading news of the event far and wide - the more the merrier - not on the Tibenham Web site events page at the Mo

See some of you there ?-

My steed for the day Mk1 Ford Focus !! :)

SkyHawk-N
15th Dec 2007, 14:33
Biggles1049, you can't have looked hard enough! ;)

Here it is! (http://www.norfolkglidingclub.com/DecemberFlyIn2007.aspx)

There are also details on getting AVGAS at Tibenham on the web site, click on the 'AVGAS' option on the main menu.

Justiciar
15th Dec 2007, 17:44

Bose-x wonderful. We can talk EASA and the IMCR :E:E

Major Major
15th Dec 2007, 22:28
My parents live in Tibenham - I've promised myself that when I've passed Barton to Tibenham is going to be my first big xcountry.

Wish I could make it - hopefully next year (and I'll give Shemy a ride down).

You guys going to post up some photos?

stiknruda
16th Dec 2007, 06:40
MM - with a lot of thought and some time spent planning, Barton to Tibs is quite acheivable! I've done 6 miles east of Tibs to Barton a few times and would be delighted to help you plan.

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
16th Dec 2007, 08:49
For a minute there stik I thought you were saying that 6 miles east of Tib to Tib was the achievment :eek::}

tKF

S-Works
16th Dec 2007, 09:17
Quote:
Bose-x wonderful. We can talk EASA and the IMCR

Shall I route via Brussels for you.......:p

Justiciar
16th Dec 2007, 12:44
Shall I route via Brussels for you......

Lets not spoil Christmas:ugh:

stiknruda
16th Dec 2007, 20:55
Justiciar - why only this afternoon was I explaining your high regard of student pilots of Benelux! Whilst enjoying a post-sportif port courtesy of your very good self!

I'm out all next week but the helicopter-fiend can show you how doors open as N2 is about - we almost held hands today!

Stik

formationfoto
17th Dec 2007, 07:53
Chris

Will aim to get something over from Seething. If we can muster the Chipmunk and Jodel three ship we will, otherwise a random selection of aircraft.

Cant compete with ZA or Nelson duo but happy to put on a brief formation / display practice (If I can get the Chipmunk pair organised we will prac the 08 pairs routine).

You really should get a rule 5 exemption there. We could bring the poles over and prac the limbo.

Ian

SkyHawk-N
17th Dec 2007, 16:56
Ian, that sounds brilliant. It will be great to see you guys again.

I really must make an effort to visit Seething before it's too late, I've never flown in there before...and, allegedly, I don't have to pay a landing fee! :ok:

gcolyer
17th Dec 2007, 17:13
Count me in. I will be flying up from Upfield farm. I can stop en-route (or minor detours) if anyone wants picking up.

Justiciar
17th Dec 2007, 17:31
high regard of student pilots of Benelux

Stik: Yes a very entertaining exchange .... I thought I only got immature scarcasm from my children:(

I thought N2 was away until Christmas?

Mariner9
18th Dec 2007, 08:30
We'll prolly be along too, raising the Upfield Farm squadron attendees to two. Will only be using about 10% of the fuel as gcolyer though :E

gcolyer
18th Dec 2007, 10:10
My cabon foot print is bigger than yours:eek:

Mariner9
18th Dec 2007, 10:40
My cabon foot print is bigger than yours

Perhaps so but probably not - as an employee in the oil industry I feel duty bound to consume (at least) my share :ok:

Skyhawk - following a conversation with Mrs Skyhawk at a previous flyin I'm gonna try to persuade you to come along to the Templehof flyout next May :=

SkyHawk-N
18th Dec 2007, 17:20
Mariner9 said..

Skyhawk - following a conversation with Mrs Skyhawk at a previous flyin I'm gonna try to persuade you to come along to the Templehof flyout next May

You could always try but I fear it will be too late as I should be retiring from flying in EASA-land around that time. :D

Look forward to seeing you and Mrs Mariner9 again.

Zulu Alpha
20th Dec 2007, 12:10
The shiny new fuel bowser is very impressive. Well worth a look.

gcolyer
25th Dec 2007, 15:03
Is everyone still on for the fly in? and does anyone need picking up?

SkyHawk-N
25th Dec 2007, 17:10
Is everyone still on for the fly in? and does anyone need picking up?

The fly-in is definately still on. Looking at the super accurate BBC Weather web site (:rolleyes:) the winds look like they may be a bit stiff, but at Tibenham we are blessed with runways (03 08 15 21 26 33) so getting in and out won't be a problem. I really hope the winds aren't strong, I'm looking forward to seeing Stik, Zulu Alpha and maybe the Seething Chipmunks strut their stuff.

Zulu Alpha, you are right about the fuel store, it is a thing of beauty. :ok:

SkyHawk-N
25th Dec 2007, 19:25
BBC Weather update. Apparently the weather next Sunday will be;

Full sun
4 degrees C
9mph wind from the northwest
Very good visibility
1029mb
and 74 relative humidity

:D

Oldpilot55
26th Dec 2007, 11:29
Lets hope it stays good then..some of us are planning a visit from Sturgate!

Ni Thomas
26th Dec 2007, 12:30
There's a chance of one or two Grummans coming from sunny Bournemouth .... If she's decided we've remained good boys!

Cusco
26th Dec 2007, 14:58
I'll nip over from LKI: can you fix good Wx please as
I'm hoping to combine with short coastal bimble for pax..............
Cusco;)

Johnm
26th Dec 2007, 15:40
I'm planning to come over with Mrs Johnm who is interested in aeroplanes only as a mode of transport. Is there anything nearby for her to do and will there be food for us a well as the aeroplane?

SkyHawk-N
26th Dec 2007, 15:56
Cusco said...
I'll nip over from LKI: can you fix good Wx please as

Good news, your first visit. The BBC are still promising good weather which is extremely reassuring :rolleyes:

Johnm, there will be plenty of food available, no worries there. Not much to do in the area this time of year but I'm sure Mrs Skyhawk-N will keep Mrs Johnm entertained for a while.

Ni Thomas & Oldpilot55, be good to see you guys. Bournemouth could win the Furthest Point of Departure prize, which happens to be a free cup of tea or coffee. :hmm:

Zulu Alpha
26th Dec 2007, 21:29
Is there a nearest point of departure prize as well? I think I'll beat Cusco by about 10 ft or so.

Met office forecast looks good for Sunday, which is ominous as the weather always seems to do a 180 as we get nearer the actual date.

Today was luvverly
ZA

SkyHawk-N
27th Dec 2007, 09:58
Is there a nearest point of departure prize as well? I think I'll beat Cusco by about 10 ft or so.

I think your mate Stik will better that, and I believe we will have a visitor or two from Priory Farm, which is half a mile away. Good try though! :D

Legalapproach
27th Dec 2007, 14:25
Priory L4 should win the shortest trip - will even beat the other PF aircraft as we are at the front of the hanger!

LA:ok:

Mariner9
28th Dec 2007, 19:09
Bournemouth could win the Furthest Point of Departure prize, which happens to be a free cup of tea or coffee.

Bournemouth? :yuk:

Upfield's a whole 9 miles further from Tibs:=

gcolyer
29th Dec 2007, 10:12
What time are you departing Upfield? I was thinking on leaving at about 08:00

SkyHawk-N
29th Dec 2007, 11:51
Appologies Mariner9, so one of you Upfield guys MAY win the tea or coffee.

I've been asked about AVGAS, and also need to correct some incorrect information given out on the telephone by someone. :rolleyes: For visitors it is currently £1.38/litre, for Regular Visitor Members (details available during the fly-in) it is £1.33/litre.

The weather is looking very promising so hopefully we will have a good turn out.

I can be reached on 0791 9100004 if you would like more information.

Zulu Alpha
29th Dec 2007, 13:03
Hoping to arrive at 11.30/12.00.

Will whizz about a bit with smoke on my way in if thats OK.

I'll call your mobile before setting off.

ZA

REF
29th Dec 2007, 13:37
I'll be making the short drive up to Tibenham tomorrow, looking forward to seeing everyone there. Weather still looks good according to metoffice website.

stiknruda
29th Dec 2007, 16:15
Today's warm-ups went well, so...

Nelson will arrive before noon, refuel, arrange a slot time, poke off and rehearse before arriving at display PRACTICE central OTOT.

Chris - we'll speak befor our our first launch inbound to you.

Weather today was stunning. If the wind abates Sunday we'll be up for some fun.

N1/N2

SkyHawk-N
29th Dec 2007, 16:28
Sounds good Stik, my phone will be switched on.

Just a few notes for tomorrow.

Looking at the wind for tomorrow we will probably be using runway 21.

If this is the case.....

It will be a lefthand circuit.

NO OVERHEAD OR CROSSWIND JOINS!

Gliding may be taking place but only a couple of gliders and a tug will be active. Winch launching will take place off of the grass, tug launching will take place from the runway. Notification of launching will be broadcast on the radio.

Make an initial call at Diss or 5 miles out. Make a downwind join at 1,000ft, following the railway line to the east of the airfield. Try and keep a tight circuit and aim for a 0.5/0.75 mile final if you can. Myself or someone else will be on the radio, if you receive no response make blind calls on Downwind, Base and Final. Please remember we are Air/Ground radio.

After landing take a left on runway 15 and you will be directed to the parking area which will probably be near the clubhouse or along runway 15. If you require fuel make you intentions known on the radio and directions will be provided.

I'm sure you will enjoy your visit to Tibenham.

yawningdog
29th Dec 2007, 17:00
Is there an online airfield chart for Tibenham? Nothing in AIP or my Jeppesen...........EDIT THAT, I found it:

http://www.norfolkglidingclub.com

SkyHawk-N
29th Dec 2007, 17:20
Here are the Tibenham Airfield details
http://www.norfolkglidingclub.com/TibenhamAirfield.aspx

Here is a picture taken from lefthand downwind for 21
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/TibenhamAirfield.jpg

and here is a video of a landing on 21...

Click Here (http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r203/Skyhawk-N/?action=view&current=LandingTibenham21.flv)

stiknruda
29th Dec 2007, 21:46
Chris,

Will you have a "rep" at PF, as if we do our whole thingy, we might get perilously close to their overhead. Once we are at our start gate, we only need to deprive them of 6 minutes of their lives - for safety's sake!

We'll be happy to R&B at Bob's behest - just to show good-will ;):E.

TheKentishFledgling
29th Dec 2007, 23:41
Once we are at our start gate, we only need to deprive them of 6 minutes of their lives - for safety's sake!

"Seemed more like 11 to me"

REF
30th Dec 2007, 00:11
Shemy

The airfield was built during the war for the Mighty 8th, USAAF although flying is alleged to have taken place from the site since 1916.

It was in use by the 445th Bomb Group (Heavy) operating Liberators. I believe the runway was extended after the war for jet operations that never really materialised at the base.

I am not sure how long it has been owned by the gliding club but as you can see by the photo above most of the airfield layout is still evident and in very good condition. Not much remains of the technical and communal sites.

There is a memorial on the airfield near the club house and a memorial in Tibenham Church. A few photos of these can be seen on my website here;
http://www.airfields.fotopic.net/c1077505.html

Hope this is of help

Richard

Zulu Alpha
30th Dec 2007, 09:22
Norwich ATIS is available on 01603 420 640 for those coming to Tibbenham. Norwich is 10 miles north and the ATIS gives current and forecast weather.

Hope to see you there.

ZA

Charles Sierra
30th Dec 2007, 14:53
Arrived early for a friendly cuppa ,departed just before the rush. Monitoring Norwich seems it all got very busy very quickly .Thanks for the warm welcome.

SkyHawk-N
30th Dec 2007, 17:56
Arrived early for a friendly cuppa ,departed just before the rush. Monitoring Norwich seems it all got very busy very quickly .Thanks for the warm welcome.
It sure did get busy, in the end we had over 70 visitors! :eek:

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and so did everyone else at Tibenham. The turnout was more than we could have imagined and it tested my RT skills to the max. Apologies for asking people to repeat their messages and for the messages that went unanswered. A few times there were eight aircraft on downwind and knowing which one was which, was a challenge which I failed miserably.

Unfortunately the weather halted stiknrudas Nelson Formation two ship display but Zulu Alpha managed to put on a great show in worsening condtions. Thanks guys, it was very generous of you to volunteer your time and good to see you again. Good luck in the 2008 season.

Sorry for the queuing in the club house, the demand for grease was unprecidented, hopefully everyone had their fill before the food ran out.

As always it's great to actually meet the people behind the PPRuNe names. Hopefully everyone got home safely through the dodgy conditions which, apparently, Norwich was describing as all the 9s.

stiknruda
30th Dec 2007, 21:33
Chris & all at Tibs - thank you for a "grand day out"!

However, the r/t discipline was frankly abyssmal - so much chit-chat, that spatial awareness was comprimised.

Our formation had been practicing locally and at 10 miles out, changed to Tib on 129.975. Inbound at 150mph, I called twice for for information but never had a response - but ascertained the runway and pattern direction, which was enough. Certain "muppets" although VFR kept demanding a QFE, which never materialised.

There were 4 different circuits in progress when we decided to go-around and stream. The tight circuit, the loose circuit, the relaxed circuit and some chump in a personal contra-flow circuit. Aircraft entering at mid section to depart, a/c on short finals - as usual it al worked well BUT better awareness would make it all more relaxing!

ZA's display of aerobatics was as amazing as ever - ADVANCED next year!!

We didn't get to do our stuff because of the rain and low cloud base, we need an honest 2000' to do our full routine and as it is end of season and we have not flown our flat or rolling progamme since September decided to retreat gracefully to base.

We'd be pleased to be invited again - but we will arrive late to miss the potential chaos:E

Zulu Alpha
30th Dec 2007, 22:16
Skyhawk said
Apparently the weather next Sunday will be;
Full sun
4 degrees C
9mph wind from the northwest
Very good visibility
1029mb
and 74 relative humidity
So of course sods law dictated that it would be a little different. Glad it cleared up for everyone when they got out of Norfolk.
Many thanks to Colette and Chris for organising it all. Hope you are now recovering behind a beer or two. It was nice to meet those that I got a chance to talk with. Didn't get the chance to talk to Cub because he was disguised as Citabria for the day.
Happy new year
ZA

REF
30th Dec 2007, 22:36
Just a couple photos from me so far today!
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/DSC_0382-2.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/DSC_0430-1.jpg
The rest will be up on my website (http://www.richardflagg.fotopic.net/) in the next couple days.
The met office got the weather spot on again, bright sunshine the website said at 0915 this morning!!
Still, it was a great day and it was nice meeting everyone.
Richard

Rallye Driver
30th Dec 2007, 22:54
Sorry the Bulldogs didn't make it from North Weald. We got about 10 minutes out when my CSU started dropping in revs and I just managed to limp into Willingale. Thanks to the guys there for their tea, assistance and transport back to NW. Let's hope we make it to Tibenham next time. Glad you had a good turn out.

RD

eharding
30th Dec 2007, 22:57
At least one RV8 of this parish was in attendance, understand a good time was had by all....also saw on another thread that Fuji Abound had a tech problem on the way, glad it was resolved happily....

ZA's display of aerobatics was as amazing as ever - ADVANCED next year!!

One hopes so! - attempted the new Intermediate Apprentices non-Aresti today - decided it was better to get some early practice in to avoid this years personal muppetry - all new muppetry for 2008! - and I have it on good authority that the current Advanced Champion is completely smurfed if he could fly the Krysta loop from the Masters.......

gcolyer
31st Dec 2007, 10:07
I was the second aircraft in (G-CSBD). The RT was fine at that point :)

However it was busy just behind me with everyone asking for QFE. I did give the QFE (according to my altimeter) once I had landed.

Glad to see that the met office has not dropped their forcasting standards and accuracy.

WHich airfield is hosting the next fly in?

yawningdog
31st Dec 2007, 14:07
Certain "muppets" although VFR kept demanding a QFE

Doesn't seem to be such a strange request to me considering the amount of aircraft in the circuit. It wasn't so much about knowing how high you were for landing, but more so that everyone might be on the same benchmark for circuit height.

stiknruda
31st Dec 2007, 14:40
Given that there was no effective manning of the ground part of the A/G partnership, repeated requests that were never answered just clogged up the frequency.
As did these clowns:
"Charlie Romeo, finals"
"Charlie Romeo - I though that you were blue"
"Negative Charlie Romeo is silver, my other 'plane is blue"
"I used to have an RV in blue"
"Was it [then stamped on by somebody else]
"My other ones a 747"
Beggars belief in such a busy piece of Norfolk!

yawningdog
31st Dec 2007, 15:15
I see your point. I got a little bit annoyed by someone deciding to taxi across and stop in the middle of the runway, just as I was about to touchdown. I flew a go around.

formationfoto
31st Dec 2007, 15:27
Im glad it was a roaring success. The seething formation shose to give it a miss given how busy it was and rports we were getting of 'chaos' (In sure it want that bad!).

The last thing you needed was some clowns from SJ looking for a bit of clear airspace to practice not hitting each other and I couldnt get two Chipmunks so Chipmunk, PA28, and Jodel wouldnt have impressed your visitors enough to justify us getting in the way of movements for fifteen mins (though some shows in the Norfolk / Suffolk area have been party to such a ramshackle formation in the past!).

Next time....

Oldpilot55
31st Dec 2007, 15:38
Well done to all the organisers..the flight there was "interesting" and the flight back was "challenging".

skyfly150
31st Dec 2007, 16:04
Hi Chris and all at Tibbenham.

We called in early and thought it was a great fly in with plenty of visitors.

Radio was not bad considering carried out with a hand held......they are not the best for clarity and range, especially as it was busy. If you need a hand with A/G radio at the next event, give us a call at Seething. Satco and his assistants would be pleased to come and help. Can also provide a base station and fire cover, if it would be of any help.

Looking forward to the next fly in !! Fantastic airfield with lovely new fuel installation and hangar. A credit to you all.

GK430
1st Jan 2008, 08:17
Make an initial call at Diss or 5 miles out. Make a downwind join at 1,000ft, following the railway line to the east of the airfield. Try and keep a tight circuit and aim for a 0.5/0.75 mile final if you can.
What altimeter setting would 1,000ft be on - assuming of course you had self-briefed:ugh:

Cusco
1st Jan 2008, 10:03
How about getting the Yarmouth QNH from Norwich ATIS (128.625) or even 01603 420640 ?.
Blimey, you could even look up Tibenham's elevation of 186 on the half mil and knock off 6mb to get the QFE.......
Or just listen out: I heard the QFE given at least5 times from 12 miles out........
Spoon feeding or what?
Cusco :rolleyes: