PDA

View Full Version : UK's most popular aircraft

xrayalpha
13th Dec 2007, 14:30
Well chaps, CAA recently published this:

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) this month assigned its 50,000th UK aircraft registration since the UK register was established in 1919.

The 50,000th registration – G-MITC – was allocated to a brand new Robison R44 Raven II helicopter owned by Warwick-based Heli Air Ltd.

Currently, there are 19,281 aircraft in the UK fleet, including 10,342 fixed wing aircraft, 4,360 microlights, 1,868 balloons, 1,467 helicopters, 551 gliders and 273 gyroplanes.

The six most popular aircraft types currently on the UK register are:

1. Piper PA-28 (1,048 aircraft)
2. Cessna 172 (400 aircraft)
3. Robinson R44 (330 aircraft)
4. Cessna 152 (291 aircraft)
5. Cessna 150 (276 aircraft)
6. Robinson R22 (235 aircraft)

Well, I typed some microlight names into G-INFO and I came up with this:

364 Quantum flexwing microlights
236 Quik microlights (the model that replaced the Quantum, although there are two different wings, the faster Quik one and the GT450 one)
266 Flash IIA flexwings, once the dogs b******* of the flexwing world.

Bit of a CAA cock-up on the most popular aircraft front.

But also food for thought?

On the three-axis microlight side, there are also 174 Skyrangers - and unlike the Cassnas, all modern aircraft!

Very best wishes,

XA

PompeyPaul
13th Dec 2007, 14:34
Because whenever you look at rental there always seems to be many more C172s than PA28s about the place.

Saab Dastard
13th Dec 2007, 14:46
Surely PA28 covers a vast array of aircraft, from the lowly 140 through the Warriors, Archers and Arrows?

SD

foxmoth
13th Dec 2007, 15:34
Surely PA28 covers a vast array of aircraft, from the lowly 140 through the Warriors, Archers and Arrows?

I would go with that, so you should add up C150/152/172 (and probably a few more Cessna's) to give a proper comparison. It looks like the Piper/Cessna Numbers would then come out about even - though if you then add in the Pa38 Piper will come out on top again.

Arclite01
13th Dec 2007, 20:09
Misnomer in the title - 'most common' would be better than 'most popular'

I don't like any of those on your list particularly.................... they are however very common..........

Arc

n5296s
14th Dec 2007, 03:20
I've often wondered why the Piper is so much more common (proportionately) in the UK than the 172. White Waltham for example has quite a few PA28s and just two 172s. In the US (and worldwide, though the US accounts for over 50% of that) the opposite is true. Deliveries of new Cherokees are down in the noise, whereas the new 172 is doing OK. And a look round any airfield over here shows many more Cessnas than Pipers.

(Personally I think it's an awful plane, but that's just me - it's underpowered compared to a 172 and with nothing good to say about it, except that it's better than a PA38. But then so is the Wright Flyer. But the instructors at WW mostly seem to prefer Pipers. Maybe it's just habit).

n5296s

Sedbergh
14th Dec 2007, 10:16
Gliders are only just beginning to appear on the CAA register - but they will (almost) all have to be G reg by 28th Sept 08. F****** EASA!:mad:

LowNSlow
14th Dec 2007, 10:42
Amazingly there are 180 Austers on the UK register but I didn't check how many are airworthy :)

J.A.F.O.
14th Dec 2007, 12:36
1. Piper PA-28 (1,048 aircraft)
2. Cessna 172 (400 aircraft)
3. Robinson R44 (330 aircraft)
4. Cessna 152 (291 aircraft)
5. Cessna 150 (276 aircraft)
6. Robinson R22 (235 aircraft)

Mediocrity rules, they're all airborne Mondeos.

IO540
14th Dec 2007, 13:35
The more interesting thing is that practically nobody is buying PA28s anymore. Worldwide annual sales of Archers are barely double figures now.

Clearly Piper are living on their long history, and no doubt they have a highly lucrative spares operation.

And the odd Meridian a year helps to keep a Piper dealer in business ;)

jamestkirk
14th Dec 2007, 13:51
There are more C172's than any other aircraft.

How exciting for us all!

Before anyone comes back with, 'no it is'nt'....Look it up.

Rod1
14th Dec 2007, 15:07
How do you decide what is most common?

If you look at total production it is probably the Cub or the Champ.

If you look at the most popular current flying machine it is probably a paramotor of some kind.

Rod1

moggiee
14th Dec 2007, 15:39
Bit of a CAA cock-up on the most popular aircraft front.

That rather depends upon how you classify "aircraft".

I would go with that, so you should add up C150/152/172 (and probably a few more Cessna's) to give a proper comparison.
If you're going to do that, then I'm putting forward the 249 members of the A319/320/321 family on the UK register (which outweighs the 161 B737s).

xrayalpha
14th Dec 2007, 17:11
Hey,

No-one commenting on the 1,800 balloons

(many of which are literally that, kiddies' balloons with baggage labels on them!)

Now that is sad!

jamestkirk
23rd Dec 2007, 13:19
More C172's Built Than Any Other Aircraft!!!!

Rod1
23rd Dec 2007, 14:03
"More C172's Built Than Any Other Aircraft!!!!"

Mr Kirk sir, I think you may have been on another planet when you wrote this. I think total production of the 172 – all models, is about 26,000 aircraft. Total production of the Piper Cub- all models, is about 36,000 aircraft.

Rod1

SkyHawk-N
23rd Dec 2007, 15:56
Mr Kirk sir, I think you may have been on another planet when you wrote this. I think total production of the 172 – all models, is about 26,000 aircraft. Total production of the Piper Cub- all models, is about 36,000 aircraft.
Rod1

Cessna say over 43,000 Cessna 172s have been built, to date.

And what planet are you on Rod1? :p

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0292.shtml

Rod1
23rd Dec 2007, 18:04
SkyHawk-N

That is interesting. I note the web site says different sourness quote different quantities so Belvoir (my source) must be either wrong, or the factory are trying to put a spin on the numbers.

My figure for “Cubs” is only right up to the end of the fifteys.

Rod1

172driver
24th Dec 2007, 17:42
Actually, the interesting figures here concern the Robinsons - I don't think you'll find another country with that high a proportion of helos in the GA 'population'.

Whirlybird
24th Dec 2007, 17:46

The R22 a Mondeo??!! I've heard it called many things, but never that!!!!!!!!!!

Sir George Cayley
24th Dec 2007, 18:25
Dear Santa,

Just seen a piccy of the new parafin powered R66 proto in Loop! Mag. Sorry to have to admit I like reading it but nevertheless, even if it's next Xmas can I have ne please?

Sir George (good boy) Cayley

tigerbatics
24th Dec 2007, 20:46
Rod 1, a gentleman always knows what is common.

moggiee
25th Dec 2007, 11:08
The R22 a Mondeo??!! I've heard it called many things, but never that!!!!!!!!!!
No - more like a rusty Citroen AX.

The Mondeo is actually quite a good (but ugly) car.

Rod1
25th Dec 2007, 14:24
If an R22 is a Citron AX then what is a 172? It was designed in the early 1950’s, went into production in 58 so I suppose it is a Ford Anglea.

Rod1

SkyHawk-N
25th Dec 2007, 16:38
If an R22 is a Citron AX then what is a 172? It was designed in the early 1950’s, went into production in 58 so I suppose it is a Ford Anglea.

Rod1

The Ford Anglia was an extremly successful car so the comparison is a reasonable one, although I would strongly argue that the 172 is a better aircraft than the Anglia was a car. However, the 172 is still in production after 50 years, the Anglia ONLY lasted 27 years.

I wonder how long the new plastic aircraft, like the MCR, will last :p

Rod1
25th Dec 2007, 19:48
“I wonder how long the new plastic aircraft, like the MCR, will last”

The product liability laws and over regulation killed development and the light aviation world stood still from the late 50’s to the 90’s. In the 90’s kit aircraft pushed ahead at a very fast pace. Now we are seeing production aircraft catching up. My MCR will almost lift its own weight and manages about 40 nm to the imperial gal. In 20 years I hope this will be considered appalling and we will all be flying much better aircraft powered by much more efficient systems. I just hope the handling stays sharp and the fun factor remains high.

Rod1

IO540
26th Dec 2007, 10:05
The product liability laws and over regulation killed development and the light aviation world stood still from the late 50’s to the 90’s. In the 90’s kit aircraft pushed ahead at a very fast pace. Now we are seeing production aircraft catching up. My MCR will almost lift its own weight and manages about 40 nm to the imperial gal. In 20 years I hope this will be considered appalling and we will all be flying much better aircraft powered by much more efficient systems. I just hope the handling stays sharp and the fun factor remains high.

The above is rather disingenuous.

The reason for the massive decline (an approx 80% drop!) in GA sales from the 1960s to the 1980s, from which mainstream GA has barely recovered today, was nothing to do with regulation or product liability. This may suprise some people but it was caused by people (Americans, basically) not buying planes :ugh:

Then, blaming product liability / insurance costs for closing down production suited the manufacturers perfectly. The reality was that few people were buying their stuff anymore because the market was flooded with tens of thousands of perfectly serviceable used planes :ugh:

One could argue, I suppose, that tight regulation (certification) means that planes have to be continuously repaired to a high standard and this means used planes keep their value (as compared to cars which get scrapped as soon as they need a lot of welding to get through the next MOT) which in turn means the market remains flooded with used planes that are usable, whereas in the absence of this regulation the planes would not be maintained so a high standard, would fall apart, would get scrapped early, and this would stimulate the market for new planes. An interesting line of argument, and probably not wrong... this is what we are seeing in the ultralight/permit/sports (whatever you want to call the European VFR-only types) which will get scrapped just like cars on economic grounds.

moggiee
26th Dec 2007, 21:39
Rod1
I was thinking less of age than quality and durability.

The AX is flimsy and every panel rattles when idling - much an R22.

A 172 is better built but uninspiring - mk2 Vauxhall Cavalier, for example, a 1.3 litre base model in sludge brown from about 1980.

jamestkirk
28th Dec 2007, 07:57
My figure for “Cubs” is only right up to the end of the fifteys

First you tell me I am wrong. Then you list figures from the 1950's without taking account that Cessna are still in business....How odd!

Thanks Skyhawk-N:
Someone is bound to argue, even though you have provided the evidence.

Rod1
28th Dec 2007, 09:28
James

“My figure for “Cubs” is only right up to the end of the fifteys

First you tell me I am wrong. Then you list figures from the 1950's without taking account that Cessna are still in business....How odd!”

I am fully aware that the 172 is still in production. When I said my figures for the Cub were only up to the 1950’s you will note that I did not mention the Cessna. I am perfectly happy that the greater number is valid, my source was Belvoir, which must be wrong. I mentioned that the Cub figures were only up to the 1950’s because I think there have been some produced since, but I would not guess very many.

Have a good new year.

Rod1

jamestkirk
28th Dec 2007, 18:03
Who is she, never heard of her.:O

A good new year to you also.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th Dec 2007, 19:56
One day, maybe, I'll discover why so many people flock to fly such dreadfully tedious aeroplanes as C172s and PA28s 'for fun'.:confused:

slatch
28th Dec 2007, 23:03
Total production of Cub's is over 40,000 counting all models and manafacturers

http://www.pipercubforum.com/cubprod.htm

llanfairpg
29th Dec 2007, 00:11
The Ford Anglia was an extremly successful car

I seemed to remember its greatest sucess was attracting rust.

bjornhall
29th Dec 2007, 07:54
tedious aeroplanes

oxymoron... ;)

IO540
29th Dec 2007, 08:59
One day, maybe, I'll discover why so many people flock to fly such dreadfully tedious aeroplanes as C172s and PA28s 'for fun'

Lack of choice, mainly.

You need an ICAO certified aircraft for anything beyond simple private group sharing, and to fly abroad without hassle.

Together with the widespread lack of capital in GA, this leaves little but the standard spamcan types which have been filtering over here from the USA for decades.

Almost nobody in Europe would buy a new PA28 or C172 today, and in fact almost nobody does. Have you seen current new PA28 sales figures? Piper live almost entirely on their spares business, and the occassional Meridian turboprop.

ozzieausterdriver
29th Dec 2007, 09:36
Just get an Auster and be done with it!!!!!!

Rod1
29th Dec 2007, 09:38
“I seemed to remember its greatest sucess was attracting rust.”

And the 172 have a significant problem with corrosion, so the comparison is a good one. It is also true that if the Anglia were for sale today, nobody would buy it.

Rod1

Hairyplane
31st Dec 2007, 13:44
I regret that the R44 has more in common with the 172/ cars featured than might have at first been apparent.
All corrode really well.
My 2 year old R44 has had expensive corrosion work on the boom, tanks and empennage. AOG for 5 weeks also. It started festering a year ago despite living in an airconditioned hangar.
Robinson won't accept liability and blame our weather.........
R66 - Come on guys. This is all an elaborate hoax. The 'R66' is a decoy, right down to the OOS Registration. The real one is being tested in Area 51.
I would ordinarily have posted on 'Rotorheads' but the mods there don't like me and kicked me off. They stonewall me for an explanation but are happy to slag me off to others......
I have important additional information on R44 corrosion but they obviously dont want to hear it, despite PPrune being an otherwise ideal forum to compare experiences.
My mistake I reckon was to neglect to prefix my posts with ' all professional helicopter pilots should be paid £150k a year to start, have all their training costs reimbursed and enjoy a non-contributory final salary pension.'
The mods dont like self-made hobby pilots like me. Maybe a bit of festive cheer will restore a bit of democracy. I won't hold my breath for a 'welcome back, 6 months in the barrel is long enough you naughty boy' Email though.....
Have a good one. Fingers crossed for the New Years Day weather. I'll be up and about if so.
Hairyplane.

Julian
2nd Jan 2008, 22:06

Didnt Top Gear vote the Mondeo its Car Of The Year? :)

Dosent have to be flash to be good!

S-Works
3rd Jan 2008, 08:54
a 172 is a mondeo, it just keeps on delivering in a reliable cost effective manner.

I see very few AD's on mine, it runs perfectly, cruises the airways and with the big engine and wobbly prop carries four real people and bags for nearly 6hrs.

The mondeo was the perfect sales rep vehicle for the same reason.

I'll take a fully IFR equipped 172 any day.

moggiee
3rd Jan 2008, 10:41
Didnt Top Gear vote the Mondeo its Car Of The Year? :)
Dosent have to be flash to be good!
It doesn't have to be good to be Car of the Year, either. Does anyone else remember the Chrysler Alpine and Horizon both winning that title in the 1970s?

whitus1
6th Jan 2008, 20:46
cessna 150s are fantastic especially if they are aerobats, im learning to fly in two different 150 aerobats from anglia flight:
G-BUCA
G-BABD :)