PDA

View Full Version : UAE, Abu Dhabi or Dubai

Trotsky
13th Dec 2007, 12:03
Dear Sirs,
I am an ATCO at Keflavík, Iceland, and I am looking into some job offers in the UAE, either Abu Dhabi or Dubai. As of now I don´t have much knowledge of the place or the living conditions, let alone the working environment in which I would be working.
Has any of you, either collegues or pilots, lived there or do you have any info on the matter?
Is there a big salary-difference between the two places or has it to do with who you are hired by, Serco or GAL?

I have TWR and APP ratings with 10yrs experience, also OJTI.

Thanks,
Mr.T.

Red Dragon
13th Dec 2007, 14:02
Trotsky,
With TWR/APR experience you'd probably be more suitable for Dubai. Not sure how busy Keflavik is but bear in mind that Dubai will have moved around 260,000 this year. If your interested send your CV to Eric Melvin, Manager Technical Services at :

[email protected]

If selected you'd probably be required to come for an assessment to determine whether you know what you're doing and if you are suitable to train to validation standard at Dubai.
Good luck.
:ok:

Dr. Evil
13th Dec 2007, 15:31
GAL is only MIL airbases.
Serco got Abu Dhabi and Dubai with two different contracts.
From your experience wise you probably won't get Dubai since they can choose who they wnat now with the new package. Abu Dhabi is more downstream for the next many years, but growing, less money but bore your street I guess coming from Iceland taken into consideration.
Try Rick Sharpe, Manager Air Traffic Operations Serco Middle East [email protected]
PS. Both Abu Dhabi and Dubai need controllers.
Good luck

Trotsky
13th Dec 2007, 16:10
Thank you gentlemen for the info.

Since Keflavík was up until the year 2006 a US Navy base I have some experience working with the military. I also spent a few months in Pristina Kosovo in the year 2003 working in a military environment as a Major. I´m glad I´m not there now since things seem to be warming up there!

Do any of you have an idea as to what kind of package they are offering, roughly? I would be taking my wife and two kids along so I´m curious as to what I might expect down there, how would they fare living there, schooling for the kids etc.
Thanks again.