PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL (CAA) and Germany

mothflyer
12th Dec 2007, 12:59
Hi guys,

Really simple question if anyone has a moment to help!

I have a lifetime CAA PPL (A) and am now based in Germany and of course want to continue my flying. Am I going to have to ask the CAA to exchange my CAA licence for a JAA one, thus having to give them a load of 'flying' money every 5 years to renew the paperwork :yuk: :mad: ??? Or can I fly D- registered aircraft on my CAA licence. I assume I still have to return to the UK and fly my bi-annual with a UK registered aircraft and CAA instructor which is no problem.

Thanks for your help. :ok:

Cobalt
12th Dec 2007, 13:53
I believe this has been asked before.

The CAA --> (UK) JAA is the best way. After that you could move the state of licence issue to Germany if you are a resident there and you find their regulator cheaper...

According to JAR, "legacy" ICAO licences of JAR member states can only be converted to JAR licences in the state of issue.

You could also try to talk to the LBA (German CAA) to formally validate your licence, but this is a formal process (unlike in the UK, where any ICAO licence is automatically validated for day VFR). The German air law still allows this, but I have no idea if the LBA actually does it for JAR members.

Personally, I would rather give the CAA £56 and be done with it than facing dealing with the LBA...

Whopity
13th Dec 2007, 07:43
When EASA take over you'll have to change it for a 5 year licence anyway!