PDA

View Full Version : How much overtime can you get at Swanwick?

Amenhotep
11th Dec 2007, 14:45
Hi all,

Greetings from High Wycombe! I'm a ATCO wannabe whose in the first stage of the assessment process (you know, the one where you get all the brain probing psychoanalytical testing done, digging for suppressed memories; and where have to remember that an A300-600 cruises between FL290-FL330 amoungst other things for the motivation test).

1) Just wondering, I know there are very few part time ATCOs out there, but of those who are, I hear on the grape vine that some have other part time jobs, like operational jobs. Do you know what jobs these are and where they can be found? (Bournmouth and Southampton airport only?)

2) Also, I read somewhere else in the forum that "ATCO is a part time job with a full time salary". I think the gentleman concerned is refering to the shift pattern. Do you concur with this statement? What is the shift pattern for ATCOs in Swanwick? How much opportunity for overtime is there?

3) One last thing, how do you eventually (if I should so chose) move to supervisor and management positions? Is there some sort of job shadowing available?

Many Thanks

PS> What is this emoticon suppose to represent exactly? :\ Wibble?!?
PSS> That's right! This is post number ONE. Rock and Roll!!! :cool:

anotherthing
11th Dec 2007, 14:56
1) - The opportunity to move to part time working exists within NATS

2) ATCOS at Swanwick (TC and AC) work a 10 day cycle - 2 mornings(m), 2 afternoons(a), 2 nights(n), 4 days off(o).
Only about 15% are needed on night shifts so the others will 'spin' the last 2 days either a morning or afternoon spin giving a cycle of: 2m/2a/2a/4o or 2m/2a/1o/2m/3o. By the time you have done this shift cycle, you need the days off - especially in the summer. This type of cycle is acknowledged as not being very good for ones long term health because of the way it mucks up the body clock. Fairly good overtime opportunity in summer (especially AC), but there are many rules governing amount of hours rest required between differnet types of shift.

3) Stick your nose up someones backside is one method which unfortunately still works. Otherwise be good at interviews. Some people have even got it on merit (I've heard rumoured):E. NATS does have a job shadowing facility (usually one day 'in the life of') which comes up now and again

Amenhotep
11th Dec 2007, 15:18
Thanks,

I've since seen an older post regarding overtime, and seen some very heated debate as to whether it should even be allowed. I don't have family comitments or a morgage to look after and I have been known to book days off only to work them on a different shift (say, if I need the morning off, book the morning shift off and get the afternoon shift on overtime). So I don't think the issue of stress and fatigue strictly apply.

Regarding the shift pattern, I'm currently a security guard working at Heathrow Airport and LOATH my current roster of lates/earlies/nights. Between the late and early shift midweek, I can only get 4 hours sleep which I find difficult to recuperate. By the time I've got my body clock back on track, I'm doing nights, screwing everything up again. Is my current roster really any healthier than the Swanwick roster described in the above post and is the feeling against the Swanwick roster felt by all?

I suppose an ideal one would be a change to 2m/2m/2m/4o/2a/2a/2a/4o. :8

anotherthing
11th Dec 2007, 15:35
Your current roster does not sound so good!

As for the feeling against the roster I think you picked up the wrong vibes - when I said it was not good for long term health that was based on medical issues. As far as I am concerned, despite the fact that it isn't too good for you, I think it's a great roster as you get a fair bit of free time. Naturally a more stable roster which does not chop and change is better health wise.

With regards to overtime - there are very strict rules governing rest periods between duties. For example you could not do an afternoon shift then go in next morning for a morning shift - it's not legal!

As a security guard although it could be argued that you are responsible for peoples lives, it is in no way comparable to the responsibility of controlling aircraft (not being dismissive or elitist - it's a totally different type of responsibility in the way it is carried out).

If you were to take a few days off i.e. a cycle, then you could be offered overtime in those days, similarly, depending what you did with regards to days 5 and 6 of the 10 day cycle, there may be opportunities to do overtime on one of your 4 days off.

Overtime is also limited to a maximum amount per year - an agreement between the Union and Management.

Gonzo
11th Dec 2007, 16:04
[pedant mode on]

Well, I think technically there is no limit on the amount of overtime that an ATCO does in NATS. There is limit on the number of AAVAs an ATCO can do.

[pedant mode off]

RADAC
11th Dec 2007, 17:12
Overtime, what's overtime?

T&S B

anotherthing
11th Dec 2007, 18:03
very pedantic Gonzo!

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one type of overtime I might be interested in doing that is worth my time in a monetary value. Yep operational AAVA - even then I don't tend to do them.

Gonzo
11th Dec 2007, 18:48
I'm sure, but it does depend on how far one lives from work and what day it is. Given the right circumstances, I hear that overtime can be far more lucrative!:cool:

Amenhotep
11th Dec 2007, 23:34
May I ask, what is an AAVA and how many different types of overtime there are? And when anotherthing says "worth my time in a monetary value", does that mean different overtimes pay different amounts? This is beginning to sound far more complicated than it should be.

And yes anotherthing, you're right. Security, whilst technically a responsible job, doesn't actually require any focus and concentration. Going to work half brain dead is now the norm for me. :} Which is why it is all the more important that I get out ASAP. :ugh:

anotherthing
12th Dec 2007, 10:38
Check your PMs

foghorn
13th Dec 2007, 16:20
If you were to take a few days off i.e. a cycle, then you could be offered overtime in those days, similarly, depending what you did with regards to days 5 and 6 of the 10 day cycle, there may be opportunities to do overtime on one of your 4 days off.
However you might not make yourself popular by tactically taking leave with the intention of getting an AAVA. At least in one of Swanwick ops rooms.

eyeinthesky
17th Dec 2007, 11:21
Am I the only one who thinks that Amenhotep might be better concentrating on the long and sometimes difficult road of selection, the College and validation before worrying about how much extra money he/she might be able to earn through AAVAs? That will be at least 30 months away..

Jerricho
17th Dec 2007, 13:03
Yes.........

;)

250 kts
17th Dec 2007, 14:38
And he may get to train and validate on those sectors that don't need AAVA's.:D:D

Loki
17th Dec 2007, 16:53
Still, a healthy interest in remuneration isn`t a bad thing....

TCAS FAN
17th Dec 2007, 17:51
Foghorn

Another angle to it, get seconded (not necessarily of your choice) out of the unit as a MATC at a local airport (cannot understand why SRG didn't flag that one up with no airport experience), keep your unit endorsements current - bring on the AAVs!