PDA

View Full Version : CPL skills test with Compass only

redout
11th Dec 2007, 13:09
Hello,

Just done the CPL skills test this morning and was in for a shock when I noticed on taxi that the DGI was broke. I informed the examiner of this and they then questioned me if it was still possible to fly. I was not 100% but I told them yes as we still had the compass and so off we went. I must admit it was a bit unusual at first as I kept looking to the DGI. My question is, does the examiner give a bit of leeway with no DGI or do they expect the same standards with the compass only as they do with the DGI. I did pass the exam but still curious to find out.

DFC
11th Dec 2007, 21:27
The answer is in the de-briefing!

You are expected to make a safe commercially expeditious flight.

You were safe.

You did not unnecessarily cancel the flight.

Sounds like a good commercial operation to me.

Congratulations.

Regards,

DFC

adverse-bump
12th Dec 2007, 23:00
If you had a MEL it should have told you, if you dont have one, any defect would ground the a/c (with ref to normal air taxi work)

but well done any way, enjoy the 12 month wait for a job!!!
:{:{:{

BEagle
15th Dec 2007, 11:15
Just look in Standards Document 7 and you will find the answer in 3.2.10 d:

Sufficient instrumentation to enable sustained operations in IMC which in any event shall include an airspeed indicator, altimeter, vertical speed indicator, attitude gyro, turn rate gyro and slip indicator. In aeroplanes approved for the IR test, a heading gyro and a second altimeter shall also be provided. This second altimeter shall be so positioned that it is clearly visible to both applicant and FE and adjustable by the applicant.

Which by my reading means that a DI is not mandatory for a CPL Skill Test.

Congratulations on passing!

redout
15th Dec 2007, 22:41
So then I presume that if the DGI is not a required item for the CPL skills test then obviously you must demonstrate the same standard for flying with the compass as with the DGI. I suppose then that the DGI is in fact a little added luxury in a way. Thanks for putting some clarity to that BEagle.