PDA

View Full Version : Exporting/Importing aircraft

Martin VanNostrum
11th Dec 2007, 05:47
Does anyone have a working knowledge on how to go about buying a light aircraft in the USA, exporting it, and importing it into Australia by container. Any info appreciated thanks.

HappyJack260
13th Dec 2007, 12:38
Been there, done that. You need someone who knows the ropes, who you can trust, to act as your agent in the US.

WannaBeBiggles
13th Dec 2007, 20:55
No from my own experience but I have heard Perry from AirNoosa is very professional and experienced when it comes to importing aircraft.

VH-XXX
13th Dec 2007, 22:13
Is it GA or RA registered? As long as it's registered now you shouldn't have too many problems. New aircraft could cause problems. As far as freight goes, just ring around / surf. Plenty of people are doing it.

tnuc
13th Dec 2007, 23:34
melinda at www.hazeltoninternational.com (http://www.hazeltoninternational.com) knows the ropes, made the job easy as pie...

Clearedtoreenter
13th Dec 2007, 23:53
Lots of paperwork....Lots to do and many traps. Buy the plane, then it has to be deregistered in the US and reregistered in Aus, lots of customs bits and pieces. Then its in the box and on its way. Some say you need an export CofA - but actually you dont. The boxes get thrown around a bit and so you really need someone who knows what they are doing with the packing to avoid damage. Then it arrives here and the problems really start. Fisrtly you have to pay the GST and all of the other customs and handling rip-offs. Then you have good old AQIS who will probaly insist the box is opened and unpacked in a secure quarantined facility. They are particulaly concerned about timber and other packing materials. You don't know who could end up unpacking your pride and joy if they make you do that. Once you get all of your parts, after they made sure they are completely free of grisley bears and the like, your problems really really start. You then get into CASA territory because you need and Australain C of A. Most LAME's can prepare your plane for this - largely a paperwork exercise, preparing new logs, log book statement, making sure all A/D's and other Australian requirements etc are complied with. Make sure you have the full maintenance history from the US, including all 337's and other FAA records, particularly if your aircraft has any modifications, even under STCs. (You can order some of this for your specific aircraft from the FAA website) If there is any not properly documented damage history, you are in major strife. Beware here because most FAA Part 91 maintained aircraft do not comply with the manufacturers maintenance manual (not that they do here under CASA regs either) but if your friendly CASA inspector insists that the aircraft should, you may have a lot of catching up to do - and expense if you need to replace hoses, contol cables, flap motors, vac pumps fuel pumps etc etc (all of which of course were perfectly serviceable under the FAA scheme.) Then its just a 100hrly and you fly away.

Sooo, its not straightforward, it always costs more than you think and be very careful with 'cheap' aircraft you find in the US. Even with the high A$ and low US$, its still touch and go whether you end up with an aircraft that is worth more than an equivalentt one you could have bought here but there certainly is a much better selection of low time used aircarft over there - and a lot of junk to get conned with too. Mine took 4 months all up and I have quite a nice plane now but it was not really worth it in aggro or financial costs - which were 'substantial' - probably in the order of A$30K on a plane that I bought for about US$100K - and a lot of 'emotional' energy.

baffler15
14th Dec 2007, 01:08
Ron Jackson (http://www.planeshop.com.au/) based out of Riddell airfield (near Melbourne) imported a C210 for my father last year. Organised pre-sale inspection over in the states, shipping to Oz and certification on the Oz register. Brought lots of pleasure to both father and sons! No dramas.

Martin VanNostrum
14th Dec 2007, 04:54
Thanks to everyone so far for the good information.

OZBUSDRIVER
14th Dec 2007, 05:02
GST payable on purchase price + ferry/freight costs.
Thats all the government will want out of you.

schoolboy
14th Dec 2007, 06:24
OZBUSDRIVER

"GST payable on purchase price + ferry/freight costs.
Thats all the government will want out of you."

Why would you pay GST on a purchase from another country, wouldn't you pay an import tax? My understanding is any purchase for, or to do with an overseas product, that is paid to an overseas account, would not attract GST, nor to an OZ account for an overseas product, i.e. Airfares, accomodation etc:confused::confused::confused:.

Clearedtoreenter
14th Dec 2007, 23:14
I certainly got a nice big fat GST bill based on the purchase price converted to A$, even before the box landed. Other charges for Aqis, handling and the like were (relatively) minor.

BTW, if you don't want to get involved in the aggro, but want a dead straight no rip-offs deal, go to Ron Jackson. He is simply the best in the game.

Capt Wally
15th Dec 2007, 00:56
.................Ron Jackson ("Jacko") from Riddels Airfield is the man. You couldn't meet a more honest man....in fact it's called "Honest Rons" aircraft sales. A real charactor, ahh the good 'ole days of hiring an old C172 VH-WYG for Eg. from Rons strip operated by SkyBird in ML. (now there's another story !:))
Hope yr well these days Ron..............tnxs for all the fun times over those years when flying was purely for fun:-):)

Capt Wally :-):)