PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Hill/Redhill/Or somewhere else?

londonmet
10th Dec 2007, 22:07
Hello all,

I'm an airline pilot and fly from LGW. I'm keen to get back into single engine flying at a club in the south east, maybe Redhill or Biggin, that has a good social scene too. I'm showing my lack of knowledge already I can see but i'm hoping you get the jist of what i'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance!

L Met

Contacttower
10th Dec 2007, 22:31
Redhill is said to be nice...but if it isn't too far from Gatwick Goodwood is a great GA field with a well established club.

Pitts2112
11th Dec 2007, 08:41
If you're looking for a club and social atmosphere, that rules out Redhill. Redhill has "facilities" and on-site businesses, but there's nothing like a club unless you put a sofa and beer fridge in the hangar. That, and it's waterlogged for half the year. And it has full-time ATC. The controllers are really cool, but it's still way too much "officialdom" for a GA field in my view. They're really more interested in the helo ops and flying school, I think.

OpenCirrus619
11th Dec 2007, 08:50
Before you decide take a look at Headcorn.

You have a choice of

The Tiger Club (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/) - which really does have a club atmosphere.
Weald Air (http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/default.aspx?module=flying) - which have a good selection of basic tourers.

OC619

silverelise
11th Dec 2007, 11:16
"If you're looking for a club and social atmosphere, that rules out Redhill."

...and Biggin.

londonmet
11th Dec 2007, 11:19
Thanks everyone, so far it's Headcorn......

BRL
11th Dec 2007, 11:22
Shoreham have a few clubs. Nice place too.

Stampe
11th Dec 2007, 12:34
:ok:If you work for Tfly or First Choice they have a very tidy PA28 Warrior based at Redhill or Rochester in the wet months for about £65 per block hour all inclusive.Other Tfly light aircraft are based at Cranfield (for LTN) Wellesbourne (for BHX/CVT/EMA) or Liverpool (for MAN).Sorry we can,t accomodate non company members other than retired staff.

micromalc
11th Dec 2007, 20:38
just to concur, Headcorn is great , good clubs and excellent bacon sarnies.