PDA

View Full Version : Are There Too Many Flying Schools?

llanfairpg
9th Dec 2007, 22:18
While discuusing instructors it was suggested that general aviation is in decline.

So my question is are there now too many flying schools around. I was at two Midlands airfields last summer and I was surprised that so many schools/clubs could exist on one airfield.

Contacttower
10th Dec 2007, 11:04
I'd say yes there are too many flying schools at some airfields, maybe if they merged they might benefit from some economies of scale and also be harder to kick out of big airports.

DBisDogOne
10th Dec 2007, 13:31
Probably more to do with the number of smaller airfields being closed and their resident FTO having to relocate (or shut up shop for good), because there is so little choice, they have to go to an airfield that's already got other FTO('s) there. (Down this end of the country, the words 'Lee-on-Solent' spring to mind).

It's a nice idea in theory to merge, some have done so, but I suspect commercially speaking, this is rather easier said than done, it depends on the attitudes of those in charge.

BristolScout
11th Dec 2007, 11:40
GA is in decline in Britain because it's far too expensive. How have we arrived in the Alice in Wonderland situation where quite elderly singles are been marketed at prices greater than they cost when new? Add to that the facts that the UK populace in general is hostile to light aviation and no government has ever seen votes in supporting it and it's a wonder there's anyone flying puddlejumpers anymore. With regard to the initial post, the critical item is the ratio of instructors to actual and potential students. Whether the instructor force populates one or other FTO on a particular aerodrome is a purely commercial consideration, although it could be argued that more competition leads to more competitive pricing.

The best hope for GA will be the success of the light aeroplanes that fall into the microlight category. Cessna has recognised this and there are several other good machines around now.

Having said that, GA has been going to the dogs for as long as I can remember (and I've been flying for 40 years) so nothing changes. Must dash - next student waiting.:)

Ken Wells
8th Jan 2008, 19:57
Not enough.

IO540
8th Jan 2008, 21:20
There are too many schools, but the problem goes a bit deeper.

If all schools were modern, well organised, employing full time salaried instructors, operating new well maintained planes, etc, then having too many would just result in the extra ones shutting down.

What we have instead is an industry which operates a load of decrepit junk, and there is always somebody who is willing to turn up at work on an OVC002 day, just in case the phone rings and somebody from the local council estate books a pleasure flight (a "trial lesson") for the family.

So, the ones that go bust are usually either those who suffered massive internal fraud (run by conmen, basically), or those who tried to break with tradition and operate better quality fleets. The man who is willing to work for nothing will always undercut the rest.

A given airfield does not need more than one school (one fixed wing, one aero, one heli). GA training is a business which would benefit hugely from economy of scale and asset utilisation. Look at schools in the USA - some of their planes fly 800 hours a year. I have personally seen about 7 100hr checks in one maintenance book in Arizona, on a PA28. That school even had the bowser going around their fleet at night, topping them off, each to a specified level.

Ken Wells
8th Jan 2008, 22:16
I use to teach a RAF Woodvale in the good old days when we had two clubs on the base, West Lancs Aero Club and Woodvale Aero Club. Healthy competition kept both clubs on their toes. It was only Bloody H&S that closed the clubs down due to the hangar we used, having to have money spent on it and the MOD did not wish to invest in maintenance. There is an owners group there now, but no schools at all!!

At White Waltham we used to have a main school and separate aero school and a tail-wheel school. All now taken in house effectively forming a monopoly. Same for engineering.

Having only one club on an airfield can result in lack of market forces and increased costs.

Good clubs will survive but sometimes it is good to have abit of competition and choice!!:D