PDA

View Full Version : Moving Terrain vs FlymapL

hmd
9th Dec 2007, 13:03
Hi,
We are looking at the the Moving Terrain / Flymap comparrison. My prefference at the moment is for the Moving Terrain because of its IFR upgrade....has anyone flown either or both of these?
We would welcome your experiences
HMD

IO540
9th Dec 2007, 13:43
No personal experience of either but have you seen the MT pricing?

I phoned them up a while ago and they wanted £5000 entry level for their tablet computer.

They could offer airborne weather radar, a sort of Nexrad-style thingy, which is unique in Europe. They buy the data from the European met offices and put it up through their server. They use some kind of handheld satellite phone in the cockpit...

They also offer Eurocontrol route generation (iterated until there are no errors) and flight plan filing. This is not a huge deal.

Be careful you don't buy into a dead end solution with VFR-only charts, if you may need airways capability.

scooter boy
10th Dec 2007, 13:22
A friend of mine is having the MT system installed in his Mooney Ovation.
I'll be meeting up with him soon and will report back once I've given it the once over - sounds good though, nice to be able to see the radar data without XM:WX or an actual radar installation.

You can also file a flightplan, call out for pizza or make/cancel your hotel reservations on the sat phone ... cool!:ok:

It would be nice to know what the subscription/call charges or data charges come out at.

SB