PDA

View Full Version : How does EASA affect Norway?

englishal
8th Dec 2007, 19:05
How does EASA affect Norway which is not part of the EU? Last time I looked you could still do Norwegian national licences and ratings, even though they are part of JAR. I guess any ruling EASA make, Norway could tell them to get lost?

IO540
8th Dec 2007, 20:33
What about Croatia?

Much nicer weather than Norway :)

I've been planning a flight to Trondheim (which I can do in one leg) but almost every time I get around to looking at the weather, there are so many fronts up there that one cannot even find Norway...

Incidentally even Egypt is in Eurocontrol - at least to the extent of using them to collect IFR charges.

BillieBob
8th Dec 2007, 22:24
How does EASA affect Norway which is not part of the EU?That depends entirely on the Norwegian government - like Switzerland, they can pick and choose which parts of EU legislation they wish to enact. The UK, on the other hand, has ceded total control of aviation legislation and, consequently, is powerless to influence EASA. As the farming and fishing industries have found before, the UK parliament is completely incapable of protecting UK interests from the excesses of the EU.

David Roberts
8th Dec 2007, 23:10
Norway is an associate member of EASA, as is Switzerland, and therefore I believe has signed up to adopting EU civil aviation safety rules developed or being developed by EASA and the other EU institutions. Likewise Switzerland, which I know is active in the EASA debates surrounding at least GA.
We have had a Norwegian CAA guy on the EASA MDM.032 group since the beginning of last year, though he had to step down recently purely for personal reasons.

md 600 driver
12th Dec 2007, 07:46
david
ive looked on the easa website about mdm.032 and i cant see any reports of progress i see now it states that the latest date is 10 dec but there does not seem to be any answers
i am looking for the latest info on lapl /h

David Roberts
12th Dec 2007, 08:14
The detailed proposals on the Implemeneting Rules for the LAPL (H) as well as LAPL (A), LAPL (B) and LAPL (S) will be in a NPA which it is expected will be published in March / April 08.

The proceedings of EASA working groups are not published (because otherwise it would be impossible to 'work' due to many external representations) and that is part of the EASA procedural protocols applicable to all rulemaking groups. From time to time however the chairman of the group publishes on the website a general overview of progress, which so far has related mainly to the ELA proposal as it affects Part 21.

dublinpilot
12th Dec 2007, 10:24
David,

You've noted elsewhere that the option of adding an IR to a LAPL is not longer being considered by the working group. This option was originally part of the consultation.

Was there very little support for it in the consultation, or has the working group decided to ignore the results of the consultation, as being impractical?

That's a genuine question.....I have never seen the results published.

dp

David Roberts
12th Dec 2007, 12:39
I am just leaving for a meeting of the MDM.032 core group in Cologne, and there will be further discussion on the content of the LAPL (which was formulated in a sub group with separate people).
There is still two further chances to influence the process - (1) responding to the CRD - Comment Response Document - and (2) when the NPA is published, probably March 08
I suggest everyone looks at the CRD explanatory note which is in the third box down at:
http://www.easa.europa.eu/home/r_crd.html
You will see from this that the question of an IMCR / IFR rating was not the prmiary concern of respondents, but then the responses came from all over Europe including many at the very light end of GA (microlights).
The other related documents are there too.
It took an age for all the 8054 comments in late 2006 to be assimilated by EASA - a major task - hence the delay in publication.

M609
12th Dec 2007, 14:17
How does EASA affect Norway which is not part of the EU?

For all practical (and theoretical) purposes, Norway is a full member of EASA.

dublinpilot
12th Dec 2007, 14:17
Thanks David.

Q6 is interesting.

Question 6 (b)
The Agency is interested in knowing the opinion of the stakeholders on what they think should be the conditions and privileges of a European Pilot Licence, with particular emphasize be interested to know stakeholders’ views as regard on:
b) The ratings that could be attached to such a licence

Analysis – question 6 (b)
The vast majority of stakeholders considered that all the existing types of ratings should be introduced for the future European PPL. The majority of stakeholders mentioned ratings for instrument flying, instructing, aerobatic, night-flying and towing.