PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel conversion

C42
8th Dec 2007, 17:37
I have bough an RV6 and have flown it with our local PFA inspector/test pilot that has many years flying Rvs i have done 5 hours in with him by my side (and done 20 od circuits with x winds in both directions etc) i have also done 2.5 hours of tailwheel instructions/circuits in a Cap 10. what is required for me to fly it without supervision? my mentor says i am more than ready and to be fair this plane is easier to land than some trikes i have flown! note: this plane has a contant speed prop and i have an NPPL

is this an hours thing, a sign off in the logbook by my mentor or is it an instructor sign off?

many thanks in advance

Dave

BlueRobin
8th Dec 2007, 20:15
Differences training signed off, but be sensible too. I had a share in a Maule with a signoff a couple of years previous. Since the type was known to bite I gained sufficient instruction off my own bat to be able to fly the type competently and safely. Pay major attention to circuit work on grass, tarmac, short strips and in crosswinds.

poteroo
9th Dec 2007, 05:24
Been instructing a while on RV6,7,8,9 series and they are all capable of 20+ kts xwc if manipulated correctly.

With the -6, do practice how to wheel it on without any bounce. The CSU helps greatly with this - because you can back off the last skerrick of power just as the mains kiss.....and it will stay pinned on. Found that a slightly 'tail low' attitude helps too - not as much energy remaining to precipitate a hop & skip !

Watch the sink rate with a CSU RV-6.....it can get out of hand very quickly. I always use some power and about 65 KTAS at the fence.

Great aeroplane - you are one of the lucky 5500 flying one !

happy days,

C42
9th Dec 2007, 06:51
i know what you are refering to, i can be at 1000 feet and what looks like way to high, but with the MT prop in fully fine it comes down like an Lift! i have also found that at 65 kts if you chop the power in the flair it will bounce, at 70 it will flair nicely or just leave a trickle of power until you feel the tailwheel touch then chop it. (the plane have is G PWUL which is a bit heavier than most)

i did 12 circuits on friday in 15-20 knot 90 degree croswinds and with the wind from the right it was a doddle, but when we switched to wind from the left, it was a diferent ball game and a fair bit more concentration was required.

bluerobin, you say diferences training signed off, but who do i get to sign it off, can my mentor with hundreds of hours on RVs sign me off or do i have to get an instructor of examiner to do it?

Dave

foxmoth
9th Dec 2007, 07:03
but who do i get to sign it off

Must be either an instructor/examiner (who must be tailwheel qualified himself) or a PFA coach.

ifitaintboeing
9th Dec 2007, 08:42
Dave,

LASORS gives guidance on the Differences Training within your Class Rating. (The actual JARs can be found at 1.225)

LASORS Section F, page 6

Requirements
Differences Training must be done with an appropriately qualified Type or Class Rating Instructor or Flight Instructor.

Administration
Satisfactory completion of Differences Training is to be recorded in the pilot's logbook, and countersigned by the instructor.

Just spotted that you are NPPL. In that case, the information is contained within the ANO, Schedule 8, Part A, Section 3 (7)

Differences Training
He shall not fly as pilot in command of such a simple single engine aeroplane....unless appropriate differences training has been completed and recorded in his personal flying log book.

All PFA Coaches are Class Rating Instructors or Flying Instructors, and can complete this training with you. Training with your engineer, unless he is an instructor, does not count towards the requirement.

The VP/CS prop will also need a sign off unless you have flown them before.

It is not just about getting the signature in your logbook, but more about attaining the ability, knowledge and experience to safely fly the aircraft with these differences.

The list of PCS Coaches are here:

http://www.pfa.org.uk/PFA%20Education/Pilot%20Coaching%20Scheme/The%20Coaches%20V2%20Website.pdf

"He shall not fly..."
As an aside, since you are operating the aircraft (P1) you are essentially flying it uninsured without having completed the relevant differences training, even if the engineer is supervising.

Regards,

ifitaint...

Chuck Ellsworth
9th Dec 2007, 16:42
i did 12 circuits on friday in 15-20 knot 90 degree croswinds and with the wind from the right it was a doddle, but when we switched to wind from the left, it was a diferent ball game and a fair bit more concentration was required.

C42, what do you think the reason was for it to be more difficult with the wind from the left?

C42
9th Dec 2007, 17:36
with the wind from the right it helps counter the swing on take off ( fair amount of right rudder required on take off normally) when the wind is from the left, the plane wants to swing to the left and also wants to weather cock to the left. all this and your holding a fair amount of left aileron also just to add to it.

Dave

Chuck Ellsworth
9th Dec 2007, 18:18
Sorry Dave, I miss read your post and thought you were having problems with the landing....

S-Works
9th Dec 2007, 21:40
Where are you Dave? If you need a sign off I will do it for you if you buy a bacon butty! With the training you have done a coupe of circuits and some paperwork.

C42
10th Dec 2007, 16:36
in Essex (EGML)

thanks for the offer, but i have an examiner comming over on wednesday to spend the day with myself and my partner in the plane so hopefully weather permitting all should be well

cheers

Dave