View Full Version : Brian Trubshaw - RIP

Old King Coal
25th Mar 2001, 18:38
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1240000/images/_1241582_trubshaw300.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The first test pilot of Concorde has died at the age of 77.

Brian Trubshaw described that maiden supersonic flight in 1969 as "the highlight of my aviation career... I am proud now and proud then to have been so intimately involved."

His aviation career began as an RAF pilot in World War II and he likened being at the controls of Concorde to "travelling faster than a rifle bullet, it is not unreasonable to look upon Concorde as a miracle"

His enthusiasm for Concorde continued even after last summer's fateful crash near Paris, which killed 113 people.

Despite that tragedy, he insisted that the plane was still safe to fly.

Mr Trubshaw's autobiography was launched the day after that crash and the book opened with the sentence: "It is not unreasonable to look upon Concorde as a miracle".

He told BBC Television at the time of the Paris crash: "It would be wrong for me to say I was astonished. It was an incident I hoped never would happen, but at the same time one has to be realistic."

"Being mixed up with aviation for as long as I have, one knew that one day we could be faced with this situation."

In his book, "Concorde: The Inside Story", he said he remembered the test day of 9 April, 1969, as if it were yesterday.

Crew members were issued with air-ventilated suits and parachutes and the pre-flight checklist took one hour.

Mr Trubshaw said: "We were off down the runway with extremely rapid acceleration."

Mr Trubshaw is survived by his wife and stepdaughter Sally. </font>

Negative 'G'
25th Mar 2001, 19:38
A great loss to the history of aviation,but his legend will most certainly live on,deepest sympathy.

Danish Pilot
25th Mar 2001, 19:44
Sorry to read this.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
RIP

dallas dude
25th Mar 2001, 19:45
Without question, we've lost another great member of our aviation family.

Gob Bless,dd

Few Cloudy
25th Mar 2001, 19:51
Hats off.

JamesG
25th Mar 2001, 21:06
One of the hereoes of aviation - rest in peace

InFinRetirement
25th Mar 2001, 21:11
I was shocked to hear this as I did a minute ago. It seems only yesterday that he was defending Concorde the way he always did.

He will always be remembered as the Chief Test Pilot of Concorde and a very fine one at that.

He now, therefore, joins that elite band of pilots who have contributed to aviation's history and it's future.

God bless him.

Fuwhead
25th Mar 2001, 21:13
It's a very sad day in the aviation world http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Roadtrip
25th Mar 2001, 21:18
Some lead, some follow, and some just get in the way.

Capt Trubshaw was a true leader in world aviation.

driver1
25th Mar 2001, 21:21
sad sad news, Brian was one of the greats that we all look up to.

RIP Brian, my deepest sympathy to your family. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Jock Alert
25th Mar 2001, 21:26
Was fortunate enough to meet him last december, very saddened to hear of this. Deepest sympathies to his family.

BOEINGBOY1
25th Mar 2001, 22:30
real pity he didn't live to see "the old girl" back where she belongs - in the skies.
rip.

angels
25th Mar 2001, 23:44
Absolutely agree with Boeingboy1.
Still, Concorde will fly again, and when she does, some of the spirit of Captain Trubshaw will be with her.
RIP, Sir.

[This message has been edited by angels (edited 25 March 2001).]

Bellerophon
25th Mar 2001, 23:49
I was greatly saddened to learn that he had passed away.

I first met him when I was on the Concorde conversion course at Filton, and he could not have been more helpful or supportive, a true gentleman.

A great favourite with Concorde crews, both past and present, on both sides of the Channel, he was an entertaining after-dinner speaker, and a staunch supporter of Concorde, particularly after the events of last July.

He was truly one of the great ones of aviation.

My deepest sympathies to his wife and family.

Bellerophon.

Off Blox
26th Mar 2001, 00:22
Captain Trubshaw. Simply one of aviations finest. God bless you Sir

Ex NAV
26th Mar 2001, 00:34
great loss

------------------
Man is not lost - just unsure of his position

springbok449
26th Mar 2001, 00:40
Very sad news indeed. Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

RRAAMJET
26th Mar 2001, 01:27
From one former member of TQF to another former Flight member:

we'll all miss your enthusiasm and wit, Sir. You left an indelible print on the history of aviation....

RIP

Sink Rate
26th Mar 2001, 01:28
A great shame and a loss to us all. RIP.

Georgeablelovehowindia
26th Mar 2001, 02:29
Met him only once. An absolute gent, like so many of his generation.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Mar 2001, 02:41
One can only mourn the passing of a great member of the test flying profession.

I wonder if BA can be persuaded to name a jet after him?

G

Deadleg
26th Mar 2001, 02:48
Good idea Genghis. Never met the man but I know that after the Paris tragedy he seemed the voice of reason in the media amongst all the hysteria, speculation & general bullsh$t being spoken by some who should frankly know better.

EGGW
26th Mar 2001, 02:50
RIP Brian. A true pioneer and gentleman http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/depressed.gif

Tartan Giant
26th Mar 2001, 03:27
A sad loss to aviation, but heavens gain.

Busta
26th Mar 2001, 03:27
I met him once at a cocktail party at Fairford; small chap in a brown suit with very strong ideas. Good man.

be careful out there.

Flying Lawyer
26th Mar 2001, 03:46
Captain Jock Lowe, the longest serving Concorde pilot, wrote in the Foreword to Brian Trubshaw's recently published book: 'Concorde - The Inside Story' : "The opportunity to make a significant technological advance happens only rarely. It is important that when it does occur, the chance is not missed. Yet so often the difference between success and failure lies in the hands of a small number of men.
In the case of Concorde there is no doubt, regardless of where the topic is debated, that Brian Trubshaw was one of these special people. His drive, energy and enthusiasm, coupled with his ability to lead and organise were first class.
To be present at one of his post-flight debriefing sessions, to see the respect awarded to him by the assembled pilots, engineers and scientists, was a perfect example of these attributes being recognised by all."

It would be a fitting tribute to see the first BA Concorde to fly again named after the man whose name is synonymous with Concorde.

FL

reverserdeployed
26th Mar 2001, 05:11
A sad loss. Only a couple of weeks ago did I pick up a copy of his "Concorde Story" book.

SevenFiftySeven
26th Mar 2001, 10:37
Absolutely Flying Lawyer,

What could be a more fitting tribute for him and the whole concorde program than to have the first BA concorde in the sky later this year carrying the name 'Captain Brian Trubshaw - 1924-2001'?

An inspiration for everyone within the field of aviation.

swashplate
26th Mar 2001, 11:58
V Sorry to hear about Capt Trubshaw. All the geat ones are graudually leaving us aren't they?? I don't see anyone my age being as 'great' as men like this.

As a small boy, I can just about remember seeing one of the test Concordes being flown nr Bristol, when we went to visit relatives. About 1975, I would think.

Anyway, naming the Concorde gets my Vote!!
Anyone else agree???

RIP Capt Brian Trubshaw http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Capt H Peacock
26th Mar 2001, 14:56
A true icon of our profession, whose achievements in aviation were not only confined to Concorde. I know his input has been keenly sought after the tragic CDG crash, and it's a mark of the man that his contribution was considered invaluable right up till his sunset.

If I could fill my life with half of his achievements I would indeed be satisfied. God Bless.

dave_jones49
26th Mar 2001, 14:57
Sad passing of a talented aviator who made a key contribution to one of the most important stages in the progress of aviation.

Superb idea FLYING LAWYER.
Hope your proposal finds its way back to the BA Board.

B17 PLT
26th Mar 2001, 15:05
Tudor,

Spot on with your suggestion. It would be very appropriate to do it on the day the first one heads out west on its revenue flight to the States.

Rallye Driver
26th Mar 2001, 16:05
A sad loss. When I was at school back in 1969, we had a trip to Filton the same day that Concorde flew there for the first time. What a magnificent sight. Brian Trubshaw has gone, but the memory of that great day remains.

Flyswift
26th Mar 2001, 16:11
A great loss to the aviation world. RIP.

dingo084
26th Mar 2001, 16:52
Sad News. In 1971 or 72 Brian flew Concorde on a demo flight to Australia. We were sitting in our office at Melbourne Airport (where the engineers and others had dumped their bags) having a coffee, somebody said something about 'afterburner'. Brians retort has stuck with me since then, "The Americans have afterburner, the British call it re-heat but we at BAC we call it 'overdrive'.

Cheers Brian

ding http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Daifly
26th Mar 2001, 16:56
Few Cloudy: "Hats off"

Absolutely.

RIP. Daifly.

fireflybob
26th Mar 2001, 17:09
A sad loss.

Obit in DT says that in 1974 the third test a/c, 101, completed what is still the fastest civil transatlantic flight, from Fairford to Bangor, Maine, in 2 hours 56 minutes - presumably with Brian at the controls.

I was watching at Filton when the first (British) prototype lifted off with thousands of others on the hills about the aerodrome. As it did so there was a huge cheer from everyone - I have never felt so proud of my country as I did then - and yes, I know the French did their bit too!

At a time when our young people seem to be short of good role models, Brian Trubshaw should be held up as an example of what can be done by an individual.

What better than to have his name immortalised on the first Concorde to get airborne with revenue passengers when the great bird regains it's C of A.

Brian - we will all miss you.

------------------

Captain Airclues
26th Mar 2001, 18:01
On the 21st January 1976, I operated the 11am LHR-JFK service. At the Flight Planning desk I found myself standing next to the Concorde crew who were about to operate the first scheduled commercial service.
Captain Trubshaw noticed that I had just bought a First Day Cover of the flight, and asked me if I would like the crew to sign it. It now has pride of place on my study wall. He was an absolute gentleman, and took time to ask me about my career and hopes for the future.
Aviation has lost a great ambassador.

Airclues

virgin
26th Mar 2001, 18:30
Sad loss of a great aviator. My condolences to his family.

If enough ppruners support Flying Lawyer's superb idea of naming a Concorde after Captain Trubshaw, we could send a hard copy of the thread to BA for them to consider.

[This message has been edited by virgin (edited 26 March 2001).]

waco
26th Mar 2001, 19:17
Had the honour to meet at RIAT. An honour I will allways cherrish.
God speed.

Rusty Cessna
26th Mar 2001, 19:42
Rest In Peace, Sir.

3 putt
26th Mar 2001, 21:18
Sad news; God speed.

BEagle
26th Mar 2001, 23:08
Tomorrow 27th March 2001, we will be flying one of Trubby's earlier aircraft off on her last flight; the world's last Standard VC10 is going to her final resting place.

As a mark of respect for Capt Trubshaw, I intend to fly a single low-speed pass along the runway at Filton and hope that all who see it will pause to remember the enormous contribution he made to British aviation.

My old ULAS chum Tudor's idea is excellent; BA should put the simple words 'Brian Trubshaw' on the first Concorde to restart BA's revenue service.

titan
27th Mar 2001, 00:26
Brian's book inspired me into aviation. I never met him or thanked him. I wish I could have.

Velclip
27th Mar 2001, 01:05
Perhaps they should name the next Concorde to fly after him

dave_jones49
27th Mar 2001, 03:14
Velclip
Good idea
See Flying Lawyer's earlier post

[This message has been edited by dave_jones49 (edited 27 March 2001).]

gaunty
27th Mar 2001, 04:51
I never met the man, but he was an inspiration to me and one of my heroes, a consumate professional.
I will never forget his Farnborough Air Show flying all those years ago, which for us Ozmates (then B & W TV), were eagerly awaited and rerun time after time, watching modern aviation being invented before your very eyes was then as now immensely thrilling and compelling.
Capt Trubshaw was one of the great stars of the continuing show.

Flying Lawyers' idea gets my vote.

Santa
27th Mar 2001, 05:23
Rest in Peace.

nutstrangler
27th Mar 2001, 08:41
I don't pilot, I don't design or engineer, I just fill up the tank & make double sure I put the cap back on right. I sure as hell know who Captain Trubshaw was though; on behalf of all on the ground, a fond farewell to an aviator we all admired and respected ( he must have been sharper than Concorde's nose ).

gulf_slf
27th Mar 2001, 10:15
As a schoolboy I was very fortunate meet Brian Trubshaw and the BAE Concorde testing team in Bahrain while they were doing 'heat trials' during August 1974.

He was a true advocate of the aircraft. Even though as senior test pilot he had so many responsibilities to check on he was still happy to discuss the aircraft and it performance with wide-eyed schoolkids!
What a great man he was!

Volunteers were required to go for a flight( form an orderly riot on the apron!) in the aircraft for a leisurely run down the Gulf to India and back at supesonic speed!
What an experience for a 17 year old!

I am proud to say everyone of my immediate family have been fortunate to have flown this magnificent aircraft, (including my 2 daughters 8 and 11). Their flight to JFK was only 10 days before the sad events in Paris last year.

However their experience of this superb aircraft will not dampen their enthusiasm of flying the aircraft again if the opportunity arises again!

Brian: We have a lot to thank you for your dedication and enthusiasm for leading this world beating project, The Concorde.

R.I.P.

aerostude
27th Mar 2001, 15:57
A great loss to the aviation fraternity and a terrible shame he didn't get to see Concorde back into service.

'stude

BEagle
27th Mar 2001, 20:14
Glad to say that we did indeed manage to fly a low run along the runway at Filton today in the last ex-BOAC Standard VC10 to wish Trubby farewell!
There aren't many such people of character, skill and enthusiasm around in aviation today and the world is a poorer place without him.

FL390
27th Mar 2001, 22:13
A tragic loss to all those that knew him......my condolences go out to his family and friends.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Murray_NN
27th Mar 2001, 22:24
I was shocked like many when I heard this terrible news.

I would like to offer my condolences to the family and friends of Mr Trubshaw.

RIP.

Irish Steve
28th Mar 2001, 02:38
Very Sad to see this news.

I had the opportunity to attend the Bristol release of his book on Concorde last year, only a few days after the tragic Paris crash, and the way he was able to speak positively and accurately to all present, including the media, was not only impressive, but also spoke volumes about the experience he had accumulated on the aircraft.

It was an evening I shall long remember, and it's a great sadness that he will no longer be able to enthrall people about the better aspects of aviation.

The idea of naming a Concorde after him is indeed a good one

RIP.

Delta Wun-Wun
28th Mar 2001, 04:13
Sir RIP

Please add my support to the naming of a Concorde after Capt. Trubshaw.

Juliet November
28th Mar 2001, 13:29
A magnificant machine, an outstanding gentleman. Too me, and many others I am sure, Brian Trubshaw will forever be synanymous with the Concorde, and it would only be appropriate if BA names the first bird after him, as the flying lawyer has suggested.

Rest in Peace, Sir, condolences to friends and family.

[This message has been edited by Juliet November (edited 28 March 2001).]

PFR
30th Mar 2001, 00:48
Just like to add my regards and condolences to the family and friends of such an icon of the industry.
Would also like to register support for naming of a Concorde after the `Great Man'. If BA Senior Management are reading, this would be a splendid gesture.
PFR.

Bigears
30th Mar 2001, 01:23
An inspiration and a hero. RIP.

Naming Concorde after him would be very fitting.

Zoom
30th Mar 2001, 01:23
I wish to send my condolences to the family and friends of a flying legend and add my support to the idea of naming a Concorde after him. However, and those of you in BA will know better than I, is there something more permanent - a location, a building, an airport lounge, whatever - that could bear his name long after Concorde has finally retired?

twinboom
30th Mar 2001, 01:47
Well I was there in '69 (PPL, 50+ hours, several 'O' levels AND budgerigar) at the end of Fairford's runway awaiting the great white bird on its first UK flight / landing with the even-then esteemed Brian Trubshaw at the helm. I noticed the bounce but thought it excusable, arrogant twerp I think of my then-self now! Had taken time off from my first Aviation Job at LTN, loading plastic meals on refresher-coloured aeroplanes for pre-shell-suit package holiday makers: Court Line Catering, now there is a name for the nostalgia buffs. I digress, as is my wont.

Last saw/heard Capt. T. at the GAPAN Concorde lecture afternoon, must be four years ago now, he was fascinating, erudite and charming - Requiescat in Pace. A great loss to us all

------------------

schuler_tuned
30th Mar 2001, 11:12
As a young boy I accompanied my father to Filton to deliver some parts from Coventry on behalf of his employer, R.R. For a special treat I was allowed to "ride" the Concorde flight procedure's trainer. Not so much a treat as an insparation, something never to be forgotten, like the aicraft itself and the man who flew it.
Trubby's name on the side of one?. It just has to be.

Amos
30th Mar 2001, 13:25
Now look!...I agree with all the stuff I am reading about Brian Trubshaw, a true aviation Legend [ with a Capitol L ].

But... am I showing my age or what!

No reference to flying Thunderbolts during "the Big one". Typhoons and Tempests also If I remember correctly and of course the English Electric Lightning after the War!

And his nickname "Tubby"?

Come on guys ....there must be dozens of you that can tell us about this great man going way back before 69 and the Concorde!

Alpine Flyer
31st Mar 2001, 02:33
I have not had the pleasure to meet Capt. Trubshaw but I have read one of his books and saw him on TV after the Paris accident.

He has been a magnificent promoter of a magnificent aircraft and it is indeed sad that he did not live to see her take to the skies again although I am sure he was convinced that was going to happen.

I send wishes of condolence to his family and fully support the idea of naming a BA Concorde in his honor. (I hope BA names airplanes after people and doesn't have to resort to "Trubshaw Castle").

RIP and a good last flight!

Amos
31st Mar 2001, 04:40
Whoops!...Damm memory!

Getting my hero's mixed I'm afraid.

Confusing BT with Roland Beamont, another Legend!