PDA

View Full Version : IR or not

UAV689
7th Dec 2007, 18:19
Hi all

i am debating if doing my FI rating before an IR is the way to go - my logic is that the extra flying experience will help me enable better standard on an IR course. I do not want to do an IR, then not use it and after a few years of instructing have to renew it before (if) i move on to jets.

it would also enable me to perhaps work part time as an instructor and part time in a better paid job to pay off debts!

Also would it be any harder to find an instructing job if the FI was gained overseas?

Many thanks in advance.

expedite08
7th Dec 2007, 19:05
Just what I am doing, with the slow down approaching, think its a wise move to be honest.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Dec 2007, 22:47
Hello Chaps,

I did not do my instructor course before my instrument rating, however, I did do an IR renewal after 18 months of instructing. I know it is not quite the same, but one thing you will find when you move onto the IR course you will have alot more capacity, due to the fact you have been subjected to the 'flying' environment. You will also have developed your flying skills and spacial awareness.

To answer your second question, I don't think you will have a problem finding a job if you do the course over seas, at the end of the day you will have the ticket in your licence. Another thing to consider is that the demand for instructors at the moment is quite high, so finding a job will most likely be fairly easy.

Instructing is a very rewarding job, and also will provide you with alot of enjoyment.

All the best with it, and enjoy it.

Cheers.

long final
8th Dec 2007, 08:56
Hi,

I did the same as you are contemplating. I took my IR initial after about 6 months instructing. I did it with a guy who had gone straight to the IR from his minimum hours CPL course. Now, I am certainly not ace of the base, and would say the other chap was an intellegent sort, but because of the instructing I passed in min time, first time and enjoyed the whole thing. The other chap was still battling away four weeks after I had finished. I never found out if/when he passed.

The thing, as pointed out before, is that you will have massively more capacity to take in the instruction. After a few months of trail lessons, with the most amazing distractions they present to you, a busy ATC environment and many hours really learning how to fly well you will be in a much better position to perform better with the IR, IMO.

I truly believe it saved me a lot of money. When I looked back on my ability and capacity before instructing i would have struggled with the IR, and no doubt would have had to pay for that.

Question 2. Dont think you will have any problem getting a job wherever you get your rating. None at all. There is a shortage out there, and as i posted in aniother thread, I think you are more desirable to a school without an IR.

Hope that helps.

LF

MIKECR
9th Dec 2007, 13:31
On the other hand, I had an FI(of over 7 years experience) on my IR course and he struggled like mad. I dont know if he finished it in the end, I think he packed it in for a while.

deice
10th Dec 2007, 15:46
FI and IR have no real relation to each other. The only benefit of doing an IR first is that you'll be more comfortable giving the 5 hours instrument of the PPL and you have more experience handling the aircraft. But, because PPL is VFR only and you're working on basic maneuvering and handling of the aircraft for the most part, instrument flight isn't so useful.

If you can explain navigation and how to use the VOR/NDB you should be fine.
I had both IR and ME when I did my FI course, but I can't say that I made any use of that knowledge. Get some "real airplane" time under your belt
and maybe tailwheel experience. Classmates of mine had only SE CPL VFR and managed equally well.

My 2 cents worth