PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Delays And On Time Performance?

airsupport
7th Dec 2007, 10:00
Just been watching on the TV News reports of some huge recent delays, particularly out of Melbourne and the Gold Coast, showed some very disgruntled passengers complaining about the delays and service in general.

They were infering that you will always get these problems more with discount Carriers.

Does anyone have any idea just how Tiger's on time performance is?

Is it much worse, as they were saying on the News, than Qantas and VB?

Or is it similar to the others and these are just a couple of isolated incidents?

training wheels
7th Dec 2007, 10:14
Fair go matey ..they've only just started operating last week. Surely there will be teething problems.

airsupport
7th Dec 2007, 10:24
Yes, I do know that.

As I said there was a news story tonight that painted them in a very bad light, I was just asking the question here to find out if it was basically true, or a beat up?

Buster Hyman
7th Dec 2007, 10:32
Such a sad & sorry state of affairs in Oz nowadays. People pay for a Barina & expect a Statesman Caprice!

How do they expect these LCC's to afford to offer fares like these?:ugh: Bluddy ferals...stick to the buses!

HotDog
7th Dec 2007, 10:47
I wouldn't accept either of them for a gift. I drive a Subaru.:ok:

training wheels
7th Dec 2007, 10:56
Bluddy ferals...stick to the buses!

May be these 'disgruntle' pax are ring-ins from the competition deliberately planted on board these flights to complain? :\

G Cantstandya
7th Dec 2007, 10:56
If what was reported is true than I think it is very poor form from tiger....

There were familys who had flew to the Gold Coast for a holiday and had their flights cancelled, they recieved a full refund ($40) and told to find their own way home....no accom or rebooking on other flights....

If this is the case i don't see them hanging around for too long....

Anyway, just my thoughts!!

Kanga767
7th Dec 2007, 11:18
Give them a go...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161566

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203395

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277863

We all have our bad days...

K

AerocatS2A
7th Dec 2007, 11:26
I don't think the inference was that LCCs will have more delays and cancellations, more that LCCs do not have the same kind of after sales service as more expensive airlines. So if your flight gets cancelled you'll be held to the terms of the ticket, wich is basically that you get a refund of your (very cheap) fair and nothing more.

Eastwest Loco
7th Dec 2007, 11:54
The fact of the matter is that if you have a startup carrier, and I do not care what the label is on the aeroplane, with a limited fleet that is on full utilisation any breakdown or lack of crew is going to cause tears.

There is no fallback. With a LCC you have rules and conditions that are layed down on the documentation you agree to at the time of purchase. Less than 1% would be aware of those conditions despite the fact that they ticked the box saying they acknowleged them.

Tiger have however stated that they are reaccommodating clients on other airlines where they are able to ex OOL, which is more than is generally offered by DJ or JQ so at least they appear to be having a go. End of schoolies will be complicating things.

Unfortunately if you buy a duck then you should not expect a pheasant, but this one appears to be trying to emulate a pheasant at least.

Cantstandya - the ones that paid $40 had all the conditions laid out in front of them and I am sure none of them read them.

Some things were never meant to fly.

Best regards all,

EWL

Buster Hyman
7th Dec 2007, 12:03
May be these 'disgruntle' pax are ring-ins from the competition deliberately planted on board these flights to complain?
Quite possibly...but if so, I bet they didn't have to go further than one of their own queues to recruit them.

Hey Loco Bloko. Does the internet reduce the amount of Bogonvillians coming through your door???

Eastwest Loco
7th Dec 2007, 12:30
Hi Buster.

The web has not helped us out at all.

We have heaps of people booking all the budget carriers despite the fact we do not do a lot of local advertising. Do not mind doing it and just charge $10 per passenger sector up to a cap of $40 per passenger.

The distressing thing is the number of calls we get from rock apes who cannot figure out the difference between Jetset and Jetstar and as we field all Jetset calls from Tasmania, we cop the lot.

Missing baggage, missing passengers, failed connections - the works, You tell people they have called Jetset and want Jetstar and they argue with you.

Around 10% can be turned into bookings, but overall it is just costing us on 1800 and 13 number calls.

Wings over the Housing Commission does not really work for us.

Best all and good to see you Buster

EWL

Over and gout
8th Dec 2007, 00:52
Jeez people pay $40 for a ticket....what do they expect?

alangirvan
8th Dec 2007, 01:29
"There is no fallback. With a LCC you have rules and conditions that are layed down on the documentation you agree to at the time of purchase. Less than 1% would be aware of those conditions despite the fact that they ticked the box saying they acknowleged them.

Tiger have however stated that they are reaccommodating clients on other airlines where they are able to ex OOL, which is more than is generally offered by DJ or JQ so at least they appear to be having a go. End of schoolies will be complicating things.

Unfortunately if you buy a duck then you should not expect a pheasant, but this one appears to be trying to emulate a pheasant at least.

Cantstandya - the ones that paid $40 had all the conditions laid out in front of them and I am sure none of them read them.

Some things were never meant to fly."

Ok, so Tiger can do it their way, or have Consumer Affairs rules imposed on them. If they stick to the letter of their contract, they can have the coverage on TV news, front page headlines and questions in Parliament. You can read the posts about Globespan in the Airlines thread to see publicity that no airline wants.

Some day, someone will go to a comsumer affairs tribunal, who will say that a $40 refund is not good enough. State Governments will change laws to that there is a Duty of Care. If the airline cannot provide the service, it will be the airline's problem to get the people home somehow, if they have already started the journey. Nowadays Ryanair will offer passengers a choice of next flight, which may be six days away, or a bus now which will take 24 hours to get home. If Tiger does not mind being on the front page of the Papers, that is the way to treat people.

So, Tiger realises this and they are putting people on other airline flights. The advantage of having a rich parent. It does show that they know that the way they treat people when things go wrong is what people will remember.

(If an airline does let you down like this, when the airline is not big enough to stand the cost of paying to get you home, would travel insurance cover the cost of getting yourself home, when airline fails to carry you?)

B A Lert
8th Dec 2007, 01:46
From todays YMML Herald-Sun

"It's 45 minutes for a reason and that's to keep our planes as on-time as possible so fares can be kept low," Mr Hobbs said.

"People who miss the deadline even by a few minutes are denying other passengers from on-time departure."

Mr Hobbs said Tiger was showing some flexibility, but he urged travellers to check in two hours before departure.

Is this outfit slacker than Jokestar? Why 45 minutes, and whoever suggested a two hour check in for a domestic flight?

I agree that punctuality assists profitability but why do LCC's insist on such early check-ins? Do the the check-in chicks also clean the aircraft, oversee boarding, prepare/file the flight plan/loadsheet, empty the dunnies, refuel and everything else that's required for a departure?

B A Lert
8th Dec 2007, 01:52
From the Gold Coast paper today

Grounded Tiger, unhidden anger

08Dec07

IT spoiled their holidays and now Tiger Airways is not even sure if it will fully compensate the passengers it stranded on the Gold Coast.

About 170 people were marooned at Gold Coast Airport on Thursday after their flight was cancelled about 5pm.

They had initially being told their 3.25pm flight from Coolangatta to Melbourne had been delayed. An earlier flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast was also cancelled.

Tiger, owned by Singapore Airlines, blamed mysterious 'operational constraints', refusing to elaborate.

Those booked on the cancelled flight to Melbourne were forced to book expensive last minute seats aboard other flights and, in many cases, look for another night's accommodation at their own cost.

Tiger Airways' head of corporate communications, Matt Hobbs, yesterday said the airline had offered to refund fares -- as little as $100 -- to all passengers affected by the cancellations.

But he said Tiger would not cover accommodation costs and might not pay for those who were forced to book other flights at a cost of up to $350 a seat.

"We're not refunding people's accommodation. It's quite clear on our website that you can take the option of travel insurance. It's very cost effective," he said.

Mr Hobbs said he believed everyone affected by the cancellations had made it to their destinations today.

He declined to shed light on the cause of the cancellations.

"There was an operational issue. We don't go into detail about those," he said.

"It wasn't a mechanical issue. Hundreds of flights a year across Australia get cancelled from all carriers.

"It's not unusual, unfortunately, in aviation but when it does happen Tiger will facilitate getting people to their destination as quickly as possible."

Peter Richmond, from central Victoria, who was stranded with his wife and daughter, said he was relieved to be home.

Mr Richmond received a phone call shortly before he was supposed to board the flight on Thursday afternoon, to say his father was in hospital after a heart attack.

"We went to see him and he's okay but they are keeping him in hospital for a few more days," he said.

Mr Richmond said the whole Tiger debacle had cost him $1700.

"My wife and I missed a day's wages. We had to pay for another night of accommodation and $1100 up front for flights with Virgin to get home.

"We didn't have $1100 in our bank account so we had to ask family to pull together funds to get us home and now Tiger have told us we won't be getting it back for a month," he said.

Melbourne man Michael Christodoulou who was booked on the cancelled flight with his wife and two young children, said the incident had soured his Gold Coast holiday.

"We had to find accommodation -- that was hard at 10 at night. We knew about 5pm that it was cancelled but we had to stick around and try to get another flight," said Mr Christodoulou, who was yesterday booked on a Tiger flight.

"I've been to the Gold Coast plenty of times but this has been the worst," he said. "They wouldn't charter a plane. There were 170 stranded. I had two kids who were crook."

Mr Christodoulou estimated he had been forced to spend $300 on accommodation.

"I was supposed to go back today to work. I won't go back until Sunday. I'll lose about four days' wages, that's about $400."

Gold Coast Combined Chamber of Commerce president John Preston was dropping friends off at the Tiger terminal when the delay announcement was made.

He said the manner in which passengers were handled by Tiger staff put a bad light on the Coast.

"It was just disgusting the way they were treating the people," said Mr Preston.

A bit of open honesty on Tiger's part would surely be welcomed by consumers. They must not forget that they are in Australia rather than the Lyin' City and are dealing with Australians who expect much more from service providers thanmostly compliant Asians who have little by way of expectation.

topend3
8th Dec 2007, 02:10
ACA had a pearler of a story bemoaning the "awful treatment" these people received. people just don't bother to read the T&C's at time of purchase and then expect red carpet treatment when things go wrong...

airsupport
8th Dec 2007, 02:54
'operational constraints'
Fair enough, as long as there is a good reason. :rolleyes:

alangirvan
8th Dec 2007, 03:25
"In the event that your Tiger Airways flight is cancelled we will reschedule you free of charge to the next available Tiger Airways flight.

Tiger Airways does not compensate, reimburse or provide tickets for travel on other airlines and takes no responsibility whatsoever should a cancellation cause you to misconnect to another flight.

If your flight is rescheduled before the date of travel, so as to depart more than four hours before or after the original departure time then you will be entitled to a travel credit or full refund of the unused part of your reservation if the alternative flight/s offered are not acceptable to you and you do not wish to travel. Providing you notify Tiger Airways more than 4 hours prior to the Scheduled Departure Time of your flight.

Tiger Airways does not provide meal vouchers or hotel accommodation for flights which are delayed or cancelled. We recommend that all passengers ensure that they have suitable private travel insurance cover in force to cover such eventualities."

"Trip Cancellation & Interruption
Tiger Purrtection Travel Insurance Policy will pay you back the non-refundable portion of your Tiger Airways fare if you need to cancel or cut your trip short due to valid insurable reasons such as death, injury or serious sickness in the family.

Tiger Flight Delay
Tiger Purrtection Travel Insurance Policy will provide you with financial compensation for time lost due to a Tiger Airways flight delay up to a given period."

My reading of the Tiger Travel Insurance Policy cannot see anything specific about what happens if Tiger cancels the flight, or delays the flight overnight. The Cancellation Policy is there in case YOU cancel the trip. In any case, if they do cover a plane cancellation, you have to fill in a claim form and get the money back from the insurance company. If you have spent all your holiday money you will be borrowing from a friend.

alangirvan
8th Dec 2007, 03:43
This is what Ryanair has to do when they cancel a flight. Notice the difference in bold. They can still get away with it if they say the flight is cancelled for reasons beyond Ryanair's control. But an airline would never lie to its customers.

Flight cancellations and schedule changes

* If your flight is cancelled or before the date of travel, is rescheduled so as to depart more than three hours before or after the original departure time then you will be entitled to a travel credit or full refund of all monies paid if the alternative flight/s offered are not suitable to you and you do not travel.
* Ryanair does not provide monetary compensation under Article 7 of EU Regulation 261/2004 for flights which are delayed or cancelled for reasons beyond Ryanair’s control (extraordinary circumstances). You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force to cover such eventualities. Your rights under EU Regulation 261/2004 are unaffected, so in the case of denied boarding, flight cancellation or a delay in excess of two hours you will be provided with a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with such Regulation.
* Passengers who book well in advance should re-check their outward/return flight timings on www.ryanair.com or with a Ryanair reservations centre between 24 and 72 hours prior to departure.

airsupport
8th Dec 2007, 03:44
All these terms and conditions are one thing, but don't they (ALL the Airlines NOT just Tiger) have some sort of Common Law responsibility to actually look after their Customers? Something like a Duty of Care?

IF they don't, then they certainly should.(ALL Airlines) :(

alangirvan
8th Dec 2007, 03:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_Regulation_261/2004

This is the link to a description of the EU Regulation that covers this topic. I live in NZ now, where I am sure the regulations are similar to Australia. If Australia and NZ do not have an equivalent to the EU Regulation they need it. How long has the idea of Duty of Care been around? Did Stagecoaches cancel trips because one of the horses had died?

airsupport
8th Dec 2007, 04:11
Did Stagecoaches cancel trips because one of the horses had died?
Probably. ;)

mrpaxing
8th Dec 2007, 04:14
in NZ they have some of the lowest regs globally. the libs thought it is a good idea so the dismantled the former aussie system and put in the joint tasman aviation regs. :ugh:

Icarus53
8th Dec 2007, 04:32
have some sort of Common Law responsibility to actually look after their Customers? Something like a Duty of Care?
Yep - but duty of care extends to customers who are in your premises or using you product or service. The only thing forcing any company to look after its customers outside the bounds of warranties/contracts (like the Ts&Cs most passengers agree to but don't read) is retention of market share (goodwill).
For some airline models, this is less important to profitability than other drivers (maintaining a low cost base etc.)
The problem here is not what the airline should have done, it is in the perception the travelling public has of what is reasonable. At no point do we tell them that "When you buy a ticket, we take that as our responsibility to get you to your destination by whatever means necessary". No airline can maintain that degree of assurance, yet most passengers seem to believe this is what they are paying for.
The only way to get the type of service these people want guaranteed ...... a First Class Ticket with a boatload of travel insurance.

airbusthreetwenty
8th Dec 2007, 06:43
Bravo Tiger, bravo.

:D:D:D:D:D

Perhaps you lot will have a new outfit to bag out on PPRuNe.

Metro man
8th Dec 2007, 07:52
If you want all the extras, and to be looked after in the event of disruptions then fly full service and pay the extra money. Full service airlines generally aren't so tightly stretched for aircraft availability and can work around a breakdown alot better than a low cost. They are also much more inclined to provide meal vouchers and hotel accommodation in the event of a delay or cancellation.

I fly a mixture of full service and low cost for private travel. If the wife and kids are travelling alone definately full service, I want them looked after if things go wrong. Me and the wife on a short break flying a route serviced by other airlines, low cost is fine. A delay won't affect us too badly without the children getting bored and if the flight is cancelled there are other options to get back.

If the low cost is half the fare of the full service airline why not ? Always shop around though, with no child discounts on LCCs and expensive last minute fares, full service can often be cheaper or only marginally more expensive.

Ryan Air, Stanstead - Dublin perfectly acceptable as they have many flights per day on this route and both places are main centers with transport and acommodation options. I would be hesitant to fly with them to an out of the way place they only serviced once a day where I would have few options if things went wrong.

Basically you get what you pay for, shop around, read the terms and conditions. If you want to save money by going low cost have a back up plan just in case.

windytown
8th Dec 2007, 07:55
-" but duty of care extends to customers who are in your premises or using you product or service. The only thing forcing any company to look after its customers outside the bounds of warranties/contracts (like the Ts&Cs most passengers agree to but don't read) is retention of market share (goodwill)."

The idea of what you get for given what you pay has many shades of grey, particularly for airlines where prices vary enormously for seats on the same flight, people are used to discounts, and there is no consistent set of price-quality tradeoffs.

Regarding terms and conditions, given all airlines have them, and all of them protect the airline to a fair degree, that Tiger had them would not signal to customers that the level of support offered with a problem will be minimal. We all have seen firms offer T&C which are not enforced and most people are used to that.

For someone flying an LCC I would firstly see a $40 fare as being either a promotional offer aimed to get me to use the new airline and gain long term market share or a sale on seats that would elsewise go empty.

Second for most customers who ask why a fare is cheap they will expect it to come from reduced ammenity levels such as seat pitch, no free food, no airbridge etc; this would be consistent with how the LCC market themselves and their ability to drive down costs. I have never seen a CEO of an LCC say they deliver a cheaper product due to low punctuality (as opposed to low support when punctuality is absent which I have seen).

If the customer gave any though to punctuality they may accept planes being later by an hour or even two than on a full service airline, but they would still expect a plane to eventually show up on the day.

I find it unfair that an LCC can hold a customer to a 30 or 45 min checkin dealine and no refunds for cancellations if the customer cancels; while simulataneously not holding itself to either eventually deliverying a flight or making things right.

While the T&C may allow an airline to offer only a refund for a last minute flight cancellation, it is hard to think customers would buy a ticket envisaging this as a likely last minute outcome. If it was an expected outcome you would have to ask why the industry sells tickets in advance. Even if the fare was cheap the customers did pay for a flight.

A lot of T&Cs give the airline flexiblity to change flight times, and I have seen airlines use this to justify putting me onto a later flight (due to MX and a lack of LAME at the airport to fix the problem) without compensation ie the fare was only for carriage from A to B on the day and not a guarantee of flight time. However this argument is quite at odds with the fact I paid a premium for a morning rather than a midday flight ie the premium was paid on the promise and expectation of a morning flight which was not delivered.

onetrack
8th Dec 2007, 08:54
Seems to me like a lot of pax are quickly learning the difference between moral obligations and legal obligations .. and LCC's are a whole lot more inclined to fall back on the latter when they are pushed.

It also seems to me that a lot of pax are flying literally by the seat of their pants, having to borrow money for sudden changes in plans, and allowing no time in case anything goes wrong.

There's lots of times I've travelled, whether it's by land, sea, or air, when things didn't go according to plan.
It's the nature of things, for important people to fall sick (the driver) at the worst possible moment, and for machines to break down (yes Virginia, 'planes are machines).

In the case of stagecoaches .. you not only stood a chance of the horse breaking a leg and dying .. you also stood a good chance of a brigand with a gun, relieving you of your valuables .. if you were lucky .. or your life, if you were really unlucky .. :(
I don't recall too many stagecoach co's getting hauled over the coals due to a severe lack of duty of care towards passengers. This is a late 20th and 21st Century phenomenon, raised, aided and abetted, by those who stand to gain the most - lawyers .. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is .. pax need to keep some alternative backup plans available .. need to be a little less stressed about a delay or two .. and need to accept that airlines aren't totally infallible.
If they want perfect punctuality .. they can always go for the LCC that follows the KLM punctuality example of the mid 1970's .. and we all know, where THAT modality got them, don't we .. ?? (Tenerife - KLM 4805 and PanAm 1736) .. :(

QF DRIVE
8th Dec 2007, 09:26
The easiest way for the public to understand LCC's is the level of service that you get equates to the fare paid. If you pay $40 for your ticket, dont expect the LCC to pay $140 to accomodate you if the aircraft breaks down.

If you pay cheap fares, get travel insurance or as stated before, pay a full fare on a full service airline.

Treat LCC's as you would travelling on a bus. if the bus breaks down you just sit and wait for the next one. I don't see bus companies feeding or accomodating the punters.:ugh:

Jenna Talia
8th Dec 2007, 11:24
I know they were all full service carriers, but did any of these issues occur during yesteryears with Ansett, TAA/Australian Airlines or East West?

JT

Buster Hyman
8th Dec 2007, 12:04
Hi Jenna...No, we never had delays at Ansett....(pffftt! only kidding!)

As the aircraft got older, & the maintenance downtime shorter, yes we had this on a daily basis. I can't recall whether AN/TN had legal obligations printed somewhere that obliged them to assist the punters, in the event of a delay, but assist we did.

Generally, we'd organise a meal voucher upon presentation of boarding card for short delays (a few hours), but I don't recall many punters getting put up in a hotel. Certainly, the INTL carriers (SQ included) would accommodate the punters from out of town for overnights. Locals got cab vouchers.

CO were wise to all the loopholes and, as alluded to by Icarus53, if they knew an overnight delay was on the cards, they wouldn't open the check in counters OR, they'd stop check in. If you hadn't checked in, then they weren't obliged to accommodate or feed you! (I think that's a US rule):confused:

Jenna Talia
8th Dec 2007, 12:21
Thanks Buster. Yes, delays were inevitable, but I wondered how it was all handled. I just dont remember these things being reported as news items as they are today.

JT

windytown
8th Dec 2007, 17:41
"The easiest way for the public to understand LCC's is the level of service that you get equates to the fare paid. If you pay $40 for your ticket, dont expect the LCC to pay $140 to accomodate you if the aircraft breaks down."

The problem often is that the person who paid $140 for a fare on the same LCC flight is treated no better than the person who paid $40. Both tickets would be in the non-refundable, non-etc category.

In this case the airline sold the $40 fare as a discounted std fare with the same T&C as its regular baseline tickets. This implies the fare is the same as the std fare, except for price (if not the ticket isn't discounted but simply a new lower class of ticket with different T&C). This is different to selling two fare types one which includes good support and costs more and the other which doesn't.

While an airline can not predict which flights will be cancelled, delayed etc it CAN predict that some will be cancelled etc and should plan for that.

It is normal for firms dealing in large volumes to expect to loose money on a small percentage of sales. For example when my vacuum cleaner broke down the retailer and importer both incurred warranty related costs which meant they lost money on the sale. A well run firm would include some allowance in each ticket/item price to cover them for such warranty type expenses.

Also when flights are cancelled, and passengers rescheduled onto later flights the airline will often save some money on fuel and landing charges.

alangirvan
8th Dec 2007, 23:09
Read the Terms and Conditions? Does this mean when you go to the Tiger website, you open EVERY box and read everything? How much time do you have? When you got paper tickets, did you read all the T & C - literally the small print, it was very small. I went to the Tiger site, yesterday, and my reading was that the insurance provided on their site by AIG does not mention cancellation of a flight by the airline as something they would cover. Would you want to be the Travel Agent who told people that they would be covered by that policy, because it will be expensive for you if you are wrong.

This is why Australia and NZ need an equivalent of the EU regulation that covers cancelled flights. The airlines will not look after you unless there is a regulation that forces them. If Ryanair cancels a flight, they must provide you with food and accommodation unless they can weasel out of it with reasons out of their control - a volcano or earthquake or a family of ducks crossing the runway.

It was bad enough being dumped at Gold Coast. If you are stuck at Bali or Saigon try to get yourself home from there.

If EU needed this regulation, this may mean that Common Law does not have a remedy for this. There might be an untested one, where a judge would award you all your out of pocket expenses - cost of hiring a bizjet to take you home. The airlines would not want to have a finding like that against them.

Keg
9th Dec 2007, 06:31
Some people have a very warped understanding of what constitutes 'duty of care'.

Legal obligation for a person to exercise reasonable care towards another, to avoid some form of harm which is reasonably foreseeable.

The harm in this case doesn't extend to financial issues. If an airline refused travel and turfed people out of a terminal into a riot then they may have breached duty of care. Cancelling a flight in line with the previously advised terms and conditions would not in and of itself constitute a breach of duty of care.

I've got no qualms with saying that I think that airlines have a moral obligation to look after their customers- or at least ensure that their T&Cs are well advertised before people travel- but that shouldn't be confused with a legal requirement.

priapism
9th Dec 2007, 07:08
Bro who works on the ground for VB in Mel reports 140 pax transferred from Tiger to VB - MEL to OOL yesterday at considerable cost to Tiger.

tipsy2
9th Dec 2007, 09:21
This is why Australia and NZ need an equivalent of the EU regulation that covers cancelled flights.

The less we import the EU style of regulation the better.

I know that's a broad statement but I do not have the time or the inclination to write pages of explanation. Suffice to say the aviation regulations I have seen causes me just a little disquiet and concern should they be repeated here (or in NZ).

Leave EU solutions to EU problems in the EU.

tipsy

Going Boeing
9th Dec 2007, 13:15
Does anyone know the "operational reason" for the delay? The Tiger spokesman said that it wasn't mechanical so my next guess (speculation) would be a shortage of pilots. Any inside info would be appreciated.

CheckEssential
9th Dec 2007, 19:38
Hey Going Boeing....why do you want to know the reason? Is it that important? JEEEEZZZUUUUUZZZ H Christ you guys....give them a go!!! Aircraft are a mechanical piece of engineering and humans are humans! Just like any other airline, there will be delays, disruptions and cancellations. Get over it!

Buster Hyman
9th Dec 2007, 20:06
I heard it was a thronomeister issue...but you didn't get it from me!:oh:

Keg
9th Dec 2007, 21:04
The term 'operational' reasons hides so many issues. Some issues are insignificant and ****e happens. Others are not so insignificant and comes as a result of very poor processes on the airlines front- lack of operational control, lack of crews, lack of staff, etc. I suspect that GB wants to know for the same reason as the rest of us. Was this simply '****e happens' or is it an issue of significant depth that could affect the ongoing viability of Tiger? :suspect:

alangirvan
9th Dec 2007, 21:26
I am not in a position to give people legal advice - my position is that I am a consumer, and I am looking forward to Tiger serving an airport near me. When everything goes right, it will be a good flight at a nice fare.

I can only follow this issue through the thread on pprune - if Tiger has used planes from other airlines, they are aware of public opinion.

Does Australia/NZ need an EU regulation? If Tiger, and other airlines that follow them operate in a spirit of goodwill, then no. But the EU regulation is there because this situation has happened in Europe, and Ryanair was famous for telling passengers to go away, not our problem. I looked at the Ryanair policy on cancellation of planes, and I saw that it is covered by the EU regulation. This EU regulation actually has its own wikipedia article to describe what happens - you get refreshments and phone calls if the plane is two hours late. You get overnight accommodation if the airline cannot get you home that day. Before you say not another EU regulation, please look at it, because it would have covered the situation at Gold Coast Airport.

Either the airlines know there will some things they have to do as good will gestures or an Australian/NZ regulation may be introduced by a politician who hates airlines, and it may be stronger than the EU regulation.

Some airlines in the EU are quibbling about

Cap'n Arrr
10th Dec 2007, 03:35
I love the way the passengers on those news "specials" about something that happened with an airline always know everything. Personally I'd rather be stuck on the Gold Coast another day than flying in a plane with a serious problem (if that is why the flight was cancelled, I couldn't work it out from the news, but it obviously wouldn't have been cancelled if it could safely go ahead)

Why not just make the best of it? "Sorry boss, can't work tomorrow, my flight got cancelled! Damn shame that, I'm gonna have to go to the club tonight and the beach tomorrow"

Thats what I did last time I had a flight cancelled on me. Best inconvenience EVER!:ok:

UNOME
10th Dec 2007, 13:21
Some very strange passengers and events occurring on Tiger Flights.

I have heard that there has been many examples of the following;

malicious graffiti and vandelism of the new aircraft
crewing gum by the truck load stuck everywhere
food mashed into every corner
pax projectile vomiting over everything, including other pax
pax causing all sorts of delays during boarding and then getting off!!
EDT pax almost every flight!!
both toilet rolls shoved down the toilet on a daily basisAnd many more episodes, yet just one cancelled flight causing Tiger to be tagged as unreliable and uncaring...:ugh:

I wonder if the "QF" pampered Exec's at Channel Nine will allow the findings of Tigers investigations into some of the above events go to air?? :mad:

Ralph the Bong
10th Dec 2007, 20:54
Yep, I said in a previous post that the dirty tricks would happen.

Just as they did when Ansett started international operations. Here, the staff arrived to find virtually ever piece of ground equipment at the SYD ITB had been sabotaged.:=

alangirvan
10th Dec 2007, 21:28
Ansett never did any dirty tricks to East West or Compass? Never had any nice pieces written about them in News Limited publications?

MsTiger
11th Dec 2007, 02:12
Brand new aircraft only weeks old, and already chewing gum is stuck everywhere, its just foul. Whether its dirty tricks or not, people have absolutely no respect whatsoever! They are pigs.

Too many strange things have been happening on line with all crew.

But then again it could just be the demographic of people that we fly around.
:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

alangirvan
11th Dec 2007, 02:43
Are they the same people who trash trains?

Buster Hyman
11th Dec 2007, 05:29
Ahh...okay DZ. I'll make sure we run anything that we might consider amusing past you before we post huh? I mean, you obviously have a finger on the pulse...or a finger on something with a pulse...:rolleyes:

airsupport
11th Dec 2007, 06:37
Ansett never did any dirty tricks to East West or Compass?

You must be joking. :mad:

Going Boeing
11th Dec 2007, 09:30
Hey Going Boeing....why do you want to know the reason? Is it that important? JEEEEZZZUUUUUZZZ H Christ you guys....give them a go!!! :rolleyes:

Re-read my post. I didn't have a go at Tiger or its employees. The question was only professional curiosity as I'm trying to get a feel for the effects of the pilot shortage on airlines operating jets. Cheers GB

Trustworthy
11th Dec 2007, 10:02
I heard the 'operational' reasons were due to a lack of pilots - hope no one is booked on them over Christmas or new year - you will need more than insurance to cover that disappointment or I guess you could jump in and operate for them to your destination!

CheckEssential
11th Dec 2007, 10:06
GB......Come on man! Its fairly obvious there is a shortage of pilots on the Bus. (No personal attack here, would have thought you would have realised the shortage if you're a professional)

amos2
11th Dec 2007, 10:09
So, tell me...

why is Tiger any different to the other deadbeat LCCs in Oz?

All three of them! :rolleyes:

Icarus53
11th Dec 2007, 11:24
Didn't you get the media release???

VB are no longer "Low Cost" - they're "High Value".

Like my man Wesley says - "You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!"