PDA

View Full Version : Airline staff remember lost colleagues

The Ticketor
27th Sep 2001, 17:40
From Airwise.com

Airline Staff Remember Lost Colleagues

Sep 27, 2001

Thousands of airline employees yesterday remembered their colleagues killed in the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, offering roses and doves as a tribute.

Twenty-two airline employees died when American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175 were hijacked from Boston and crashed into the World Trade Center. Thousands more are feared dead in the rubble.

"I don't think we've had time to grieve," said Diane Anthony, 45, who works in customer relations for Delta Air Lines. She and a co-worker took the day off, without pay, to attend the service.

"After what happened we were just working and working, so I'm glad for this chance to show our support," she said.

The employees arrived by the busloads, wearing flag pins along with the usual wings on their lapels. A uniform from each lost crew member along with a rose lined the front of a stage at City Hall Plaza.

Singer-actress Bette Midler sang 'Wind Beneath My Wings', and several members of the clergy offered prayers and Bible readings. Sikh, Jewish, Islamic and Greek Orthodox religious leaders met on stage in a gesture of solidarity.

The service culminated in the reading of each of employee name. As each was read, a rose was put in a basket which was to be flown to New York on Thursday to be left at the trade center site.

"They will take their final flight to ground zero, where they will be at peace, and always within our hearts," said the Rev. Richard Uftring, the airport chaplain who led the hour-long service that included the release of 22 doves.

kaikohe76
27th Sep 2001, 18:28
God Bless them all and be with all their families at this time.