PDA

View Full Version : Leeds Bradford/Multiflight

felixflyer
6th Dec 2007, 12:18
I would like to fly into LBA regularly but have always been put off by Multiflights handling charge.

I have noticed they have refurbished the cafe/bar, does this mean we can expect a warmer welcome for GA and cheaper handling fees flyins etc?

If not it would seem they are missing a trick. I know Sherburn is near Leeds but the transport from LBA into Leeds, Bradford Harrogate is alot easier.

Any MF flyers know anything?

Shunter
6th Dec 2007, 12:56
Standard visitor charges are a little steep. Landing fees are set by the airport so very little flexibility there, but if you're going to visit regularly you may be able to come to an arrangement as regards handling fees. PM me if you want more details.

hobbit1983
6th Dec 2007, 19:11
A little steep? Last month when I wanted to visit friends in Leeds I was quoted £109 for landing & overnight parking, before any fuel. This was in an 1200kg Arrow.

I eventually went to Sherburn instead - total cost for the same, £16. And that went down to £6 after I purchased fuel.

Yes, I know that there are a lot more facilites etc et all at Leeds, but does it really have to cost that much?

felixflyer
6th Dec 2007, 19:29
I didnt mean for this to turn into another thread knocking multiflight. I realise they have enough business with BBJ's and such and dont need to be hassled by SEPs. I always wondered why the training centre part didnt look after this sector anyway.

I trained at MF and when i left to move down south they were trying to make the place into more of a 'flying club'. After i saw they had enlarged the cafe i though they may have changed there attitude towards GA and let the training school deal with SEP vistors. They dont need to charge the earth for 'Handling' but could make some profit on fuel/parking and in the cafe.

L-Band
6th Dec 2007, 21:15
Come on Felixflyer, this is not a thread knocking Multiflight is tells the truth about LBA landing and handling fees!
The cafe and clubhouse refurbishment needed to be done before the old club fell down, but even the prices in the cafe have gone up a lot.
Landing at LBA for a SEP is very expensive, fuel and hangarage follows it. But are'nt all these 'International Airport' going that way these days, they do not want GA aircraft to land at their International Airport as you get in the way.
By far, you will be better off going to Sherburn, cheaper on the back pocket:ok:
L

FullyFlapped
7th Dec 2007, 14:09
What we need is an airfield in Harrogate .... other than LBA the nearest decent club takes ages to get to/from.

Anyone got a nice chunk of land and fancy a career change ?

FF
President, Vested Interests Inc ;)

gcolyer
7th Dec 2007, 14:24
Why doesnt Liverpool charge the earth to land a spamcan? or Blackpool?

Them thar hills
7th Dec 2007, 16:22
FF
Follifoot ? Not there now, unfortunately.
tth

javelin
7th Dec 2007, 21:07
And a Cessna 210 wouldn't fit into Beckwithshaw International either ! - Well, not more than once :E

What about Oxenhope ?

L-Band
8th Dec 2007, 13:29
It would get stuck in the mud, :O

niknak
8th Dec 2007, 21:07
Buy the Mintex test track and set up in competition with Sherburn...:E

Fake Sealion
19th Dec 2007, 09:37
I recall reading somewhere that there used to be GA flying at Tockwith airfield or MARSTON MOOR as it depicted on CAA 1:250000.

S'pose its a little close to Linton to develop into much?

Has more powered GA flying at Rufforth ever been proposed?

Them thar hills
19th Dec 2007, 10:42
FS
Tockwith used to be available, it's runways were even tidied-up with the idea of the place being used for training. A frequency was allocated and offices provided in portakabins.
Local inhabitants have always been a problem for Tockwith. Noise problems etc.......
All that's there now is a skid-pan and kart track and very occasional model flying.
Rufforth East is microlights, Rufforth West is gliders.
Both allow GA aircraft to visit after a suitable briefing. Not much chance of any GA growth, not training anyway.
tth

felixflyer
19th Dec 2007, 11:24
The area to the East of Leeds and out towards York is basically covered by Sherburn. It is the area between from west of Leeds over the Aire valley and out towards Manchester that seems to have no GA fields to fly into. Oxenhope would be nice but ive be up there and seen the runway:uhoh:. Also there its in the middle of the moors so no public transport.

LBA would be perfect if only it was more GA friendly. I reckon alot of people would also use it for Leeds, Bradford, Harrogate etc.

I just cant work out why they would spend all that money for a flash cafe/bar at the training school without also wanting to attract regular flying visitors.

bonniejack
19th Dec 2007, 19:04
In the 2007 AFE guide there is Garforth on SW side of Leeds.; 750x40m grass. Not in the 2008 Pooleys though. Anyone been into there?

TenAndie
20th Dec 2007, 01:07
Garforth is not SW Leeds, its more north east if anything. Maybe it says Leeds is SW of Garforth ????

Not sure about the airfield though....

poor southerner
20th Dec 2007, 02:02
Tockwith is a no go. There is one runway (the old southern e/w part of the WW2 triangle, still clear and marked. But the Eastern part of the triangle was build on with 100 + houses decades ago. So local residents are right on the doorstep, ready to create a fuss.

Although several tones of ordanance would sort that out and my ex who lives there in prince rupert drive (calling bomber command, if we still have one ?):cool:

Fake Sealion
20th Dec 2007, 08:07
The Garforth site sounds like a strip or microlight field.

This is close to the busy airspace around Sherburn & Ferrybridge. I would be most interested in more info! Or failing that I will sharpen my lookout next time!:eek:

FullyFlapped
20th Dec 2007, 09:01
It would get stuck in the mud, :O

Cheers mate ! :D:D:D

Garforth is a private strip, I believe. And it's not just the area west of Leeds which is badly served : the area to the north has zero facilities for many miles ...

FF :ok:

Them thar hills
20th Dec 2007, 15:56
FF
I can think of at least 10 places I've been in the Jodel, between Greenhow Hill and Wetherby. Some are strips, and some are "landing grounds"
Not all recently mind !
tth

bonniejack
20th Dec 2007, 21:44
Don't know why I wrote SW Leeds, except it is 20 yrs since I was last around there. memory obviosly shot now. Strip actually has 2 runways next to A656 East of Garforth village and 28 runs alongside railway.. Specifically does not accept microlights. Private strip I guess but accepts visitors PPR and has avgas. May not be the easiest approach s.
Tenandie sent you a scan of page. I have friends in Otley and would love to fly into LBA if it was affordable. Could Garforth International be the answer.

bonniejack
20th Dec 2007, 21:49
Sorry tenandie not as easy as expected to send scan. Send me your e mail address if you want it ( and anyone else)