PDA

View Full Version : Entry To Procedural Approach

belowradar
6th Dec 2007, 10:48
If flying to an NDB for example (could be VOR) and then planning to go outbound in a procedural approach is there a maximum heading change restriction on going straight onto the outbound track.

Flew in France recently and the instructor flew to the beacon and then carried out a procedure turn in the hold to position for the outbound leg, when I asked why he hadn't gone estraight outbound he advised that if the turn is more than 30degrees to the outbound then a procedural turn in the hold area was needed. I assume this might be for true for higher speed aircraft but it seemed unnecessary when I did it last week at my local airport (controller seemed puzzled as well).

I do understand the different ways to enter a hold (Direct / Parallel / Teardrop ) so this question is not about that. This question is Q - UNDER JAR OPS IS THERE A MAXIMUM OF 30DEGREES TURN RESTRICTION WHEN TURNING STRAIGHT INTO A PROCEDURE ON THE OUTBOUND LEG (I.E. NOT HOLDING)? If there is where can I find it ?

Having flown it it appears to me that the procedural turn in the hold area required a very large teardrop type heading change whereas turning straight onto the outbound needed about 40 degrees of heading change and made a lot more sense.

excrab
6th Dec 2007, 11:04
Don't know about JAR OPS (which is only relevant for public transport operators I believe), but PANSOPS document 8168 from ICAO says you must be within 30 degrees of the outbound track to go straight on to it.

Having said that, in a light aircraft flying an approach that takes you out to 7 miles or so before turning inbound you might as well just do as you suggested and save time. You should have plenty of time once established outbound to get down to platform altitude and anyway no one is looking unless it is on an IR/IMC renewal. Only my opinion however, maybe talk to your CFI/Chief pilot or equivalent where you fly.

FlyingForFun
6th Dec 2007, 11:31
Don't know about JAR OPS (which is only relevant for public transport operators I believe), but PANSOPS document 8168 from ICAO says you must be within 30 degrees of the outbound track to go straight on to it.Excrab is completely right on this one.

As for his second paragraph, I couldn't possibly condone something which is not actually allowed ;) but common sense suggests that there might be some point at which you decide that the angle is too great to be able to turn and get established outbound neatly.

While we're on the subject, it's worth adding that this applies to procedures where you track outbound from the beacon (e.g. where there is a procedure turn or a base turn).

The rules for racetrack procedures are slightly different, and depend on the hold entry sector from which you arrive. If you arrive from the direct sector, you can begin the racetrack procedure immediately. If you arrive from the teardrop sector, you should track the gate for 1 minute (wind corrected of course) before turning to continue the outbound track (i.e. there is no need to return to the beacon first as you would for a hold entry). From the parallel sector, you must fly the parallel entry as normal, and begin the approach when you next go over the beacon. This is all in PANS OPS.

FFF
--------------

Olabade
6th Dec 2007, 11:50
The 30 degree rule comes directly from PANS OPS Volume I Flight Procedures. PANS OPS is an ICAO publications and has no actual legal status. However your national law and regulations may validate it.

I don't think that JAR OPS say anything about the actual reversal manouvres. You should remember though that the procedures are constructed according to the PANS OPS Volumes I & II. So the protective zones, which will give you the obstacle clearance around the procedure might be too small (ie you will fly outside the area where the obstacles are concidered to be essential to you) if you do not follow the procedure by the book.

Safe flying.

Olabade

foxmoth
6th Dec 2007, 17:20
Another way round this is to aim slightly off the beacon (away from the approach) then as you get nearer turn in - you then approach the beacon from less than 30 degrees off!:hmm:

Foxy Loxy
6th Dec 2007, 22:34
If you're going to do that, make sure you are above the MSA for the sector....

Foxy

Life's a Beech
6th Dec 2007, 22:59
In which case, subject to controlled airspace and clearance by a controller, you can manoeuvre as you like. Either you are under radar control (in which case you can ask for vectors), under procedural control, where you are kept well separated or under no control at all (not in the UK - need clearance to join the procedure)!

belowradar
7th Dec 2007, 11:50
EXCRAB and co thank you for your responses to my question

I will look up PANS OPS and make myself familiar with it

Many Thanks !:ok:

belowradar
7th Dec 2007, 12:11
Just had a good read and the lightbulb has now been well and truly illuminated !

I will resist the urge to go straight out if not within 30degrees

Also now know what a racetrack pattern is and how it differs from a hold

Thanks again to everyone who responded :)!

llanfairpg
7th Dec 2007, 13:55
The other GOTCA is when do you start descent on the inbound leg. If you think there is ony one rule have another look?