PDA

View Full Version : CAT2 capability, A320

gekko
5th Dec 2007, 20:42
hey all!
There is something I don't seem to understand. I hope one of you could help me out.
If I understand things right, the aircraft 'knows' its capability (taking failures into account) and displays it on the fma.
-You need CAT3 dual to fly a CATIIIb approach.
-You could fly a CATII approach with CAT3 dual (using CATII min) and performing an autoland.
My question if you have CAT2 capability displayed on the fma, you can fly a CATII approach, no autoland...? Is this correct...? My qrh says that for autoland you need at least CAT2 or CAT3 capability....? So I seem to be lost somewhere?!
Thanks a lot for any advise!
Best regards

Megaton
5th Dec 2007, 20:51
Presumably it depends on company procedures. For anything other than Cat I we autoland the Airbus. In other words, assuming LVPs in force and an autoland runway we will operate to cat II.

So, if you had Cat II displayed, LVPs and an autoland runway, you could autoland.

FlightDetent
6th Dec 2007, 05:36
My question if you have CAT2 capability displayed on the fma, you can fly a CATII approach, no autoland...? Is this correct...?
You are not lost. It is just that Airbus doesn't make provisions in the FCOM for CAT II manual landings although they are entirely possible. They say, why would you?

With CAT2 FMA you can make CAT II autoland. You can make CAT II manual as well (*) if you want to, or need to (airfield pressure altitude above autoland limit or crosswind too strong) and think it is wise to attempt.

(*) Only provided that you have been formally trained to do manual CAT II landings to satisfy requirements of JAR-AWO and JAR-OPS1. With a standard Airbus LVO Course you are NOT TRAINED for CAT II manual landings, because the manufacturer thinks you need not to be. Which may not always be the case.

loc22550
6th Dec 2007, 07:18
Regarding A/C(320) capability: Autoland is NOT allowed with CATI displayed on FMA.In other words with CATII or III displayed on FMA you can make an Autoland..(recommended for a CAT II , Automatic landing system mandatory for a cat IIIA/B approach).

gekko
6th Dec 2007, 07:22
aha,

thanks a lot for your responses! So if I understand it correctly :), with a CAT2 capability displayed, you can fly a CATII (not CATIIIa or b) with autoland! But you could land manually...(in case of overweight?)
With CAT3 dual you can fly CATIII no dh but also catII (with catIImin)!

So still another question, if you lost your autoland capability and 1AP you could still fly a CATII with manual landing, no? Which capability would then be displayed on the fma?
Because if I know see CAT2 displayed I assume an autoland can be made...?

Again thanks a lot,

best regards

loc22550
6th Dec 2007, 07:24
Regarding A/C(320) capability: Autoland is NOT allowed with CAT1 displayed on FMA.In other words with CAT2 or 3 displayed on FMA you can make an Autoland..(recommended for a CAT II , Automatic landing system mandatory for a cat IIIA/B approach).
The only "problem" if the weather is CATII and your aircraft display only CAT2 on FMA, no Downgraded option for you is available should any failure occurs..:hmm:
Cheers.

FlightDetent
7th Dec 2007, 08:12
with a CAT2 capability displayed, you can fly a CATII (not CATIIIa or b) with autoland! Yes, the FMA indicates the capabilities of the aircraft and CAT2 stands for ICAO CAT II minima and Autoland. Unless there is a tech problem of which the autoflight system is not aware. See QRH 5.04. Such as Automatic RA call-out INOP - FMA still reads CAT2 and you can shoot for CAT II minima, but autoland is not allowed.

But you could land manually...(in case of overweight?) Any time, but only if you have been trained for manual CAT II landings. Overweight landing is a commander's decision and s/he will decide wheather to do untrained CAT II manual or autoland above max demonstrated LW (there may be more "max" demonstrated weights than the one in my/your manual).

With CAT3 dual you can fly CAT III no dh but also cat II (with catIImin)! Yes. And also CAT I with autoland (same applies for CAT2 FMA) if some constraints are observed. Unless one of your NDs is gone - you would get CAT3DUAL displayed but the capability is reduced to CAT II + Autoland as per QRH 5.03

So still another question, if you lost your autoland capability and 1AP you could still fly a CATII with manual landing, no? Which capability would then be displayed on the fma?
Hard to tell, there's too many variables in the question. :)
- For manual landing you need CAT II or better
- For CAT II manual landing specific training is required
- A32S minus 1AP would indicate CAT3SINGLE, system is fail-passive and applicable minimum is ICAO CAT IIIA with automatic roll-out capability
- FMA capability may, or may not depend on the degraded equipment. See QRH 5.04.

FD. (the un-real)

gekko
7th Dec 2007, 14:42
FD,

thanks a lot for your clarifications!
Just one more question...:) My qrh is company modified so the references are probably not correct. But if I understand you well...it is possible that the fma displays CAT3dual, where the aircraft is actually cat 2...? To be checked in the qrh...Airborne equipment required for CATI/II/III approaches?

Again, thanks a lot

Best regards