PDA

View Full Version : ferry flight over North Atlantic in January

piotrz
4th Dec 2007, 12:48
does anybody have the excperience in flying single turboprop (Piper Meridian) from USA to Europe?
have a chance to join such flight but wonder how can the weather be risky for de-iced aircraft being able to fly at fl 240 (or even higher)

niknak
4th Dec 2007, 14:32
North Atlantic - Northern Hemisphere.

Weather - Winter - Very complex weather systems, heavy icing, weather and flying conditions which would challenge the most experienced multi engined pilots.

It would be a challenge in the Summer, who ever you are going with, make sure they are qualified, experienced and equipped to do the job.

360BakTrak
4th Dec 2007, 14:51
If you can be assured of the pilots experience and are happy to fly with one donkey, enjoy the ride! Something I would love to do, albeit probably in a less cold time of year!!!:E

Oldpilot55
4th Dec 2007, 15:08
Survival time in survival suit in icy water at this time of year 20 minutes, in summer 30 minutes or so. Not much point taking a life raft either.

360BakTrak
4th Dec 2007, 15:33
I'd recommend arm-bands and a snorkel.

radicalrabit
4th Dec 2007, 15:54
What about getting someone to shaddow you in a fully equipped aircraft then if all goes tits up at least they know exactly where to find you ! (cost is one reason why not ) Getting to you in 20 mins from anywhere in the event of ditching is not a likely outcome. And yes a life raft is a good plan but getting into it if you survive hitting the water is the issue. There are a lot of very experienced ferry pilots out there so spend the time finding the right one(s) and see what they have flown previously. And despite all they say, be in an exposure suite like the military wear because you might not get time to change !!!!

Bottom line is if you like adventure go for it .I would.

PH-SCP
4th Dec 2007, 15:59
A Meridian is high performance turboprop, cruising in the region of FL270, usually above the weather. The Pratt&Whitney PT6 is the world's most reliable turbine, it really sounds like a no-brainer to me.

If your pilot is an experienced IFR-pilot with good Aeronautical Decision Making skills, hop on board and go for it.

piotrz
4th Dec 2007, 16:49
actually the airplane is brand new Meridian to be ferry for our company in Europe
flight will be done by Piper's contracted ferry company - guess that they hire only qualified guys

I should fly it in Europe so I do not treat as an adventure but one more chance to have some more training with somebody who has more type hours then me

SkyHawk-N
4th Dec 2007, 17:19
1,000 nm max cruise range. Where will it be stopping? or will it have ferry tanks?

llanfairpg
4th Dec 2007, 19:01
If you go can you tell us the routing you are taking and how it goes?

I have done Ft Chimo-Sondestrom-Reykavic--Cambridge.

Sondestrom is the most amazing place i have ever been to--you just cannot believe there can be an airfield at the end of the fjord.

stellair
4th Dec 2007, 19:13
piotrz,

I have not completed the transatlantic but have operated one of the longer legs on that route between Scotland and Reykjavik on a few occasions and also spent time while doing so with many ferry pilots swpping war stories over a pint. My aircraft at the time was a Reims 406 turboprob on high altitude survey ops, this aircraft also uses a variation of the PT6 engine. Having a PT6 either side is a very comforting fact and seeing those ITT's and temps welded to the spot fills you with confidence in one of the greatest aero engines ever built. P+W....dependable engines! Fuzzy warm feelings aside your route will prob take you from the states to Goose bay Canada, Narsarsuaq Greenland, Reykjavic Iceland then to the UK. If you're flying with an experienced ferry pilot he will give you the full brief and it will be an experience of a lifetime as this is a serious trip and the consequences of any mistake are severe! Needless to say weather analysis is critical, PNR and PETs need to be super accurate to take into account possible changes in altitude for icing avoidance, which, again can be some of the most severe anywhere on the planet given the correct met conditions, I have never experienced anything like it short of rain ice! Often the 0 deg isotherm can sit well below sea level and despite what may seem logical the best course of action to escape severe icing is climbing....That again must be evaluated and calculated. Winds are a MAJOR factor and, like the rest of the weather at those lattitudes, is subject to abrupt change with no notice or forecast. Winter is a more difficult crossing. Sounds scary doesn't it! It's not,
IF, planned to perfection which requires in depth knowledge of weather systems, terrain, safety and aircraft. Safety equipment is paramount and dry suits should be worn as a matter of course. I'm sure the companies contract pilot will be very experienced but don't 'guess'....check up, satifsy yourself, listen, learn and you will experience the trip of a life time with the threat of the most extreme conditions....SAFELY! It will make you an infinately better pilot. Go for it, good luck:ok:

AngelsHigh
4th Dec 2007, 19:42
Six PA46 pilots and their planes (all JetProps rather than Meridians, I believe) flew the North Atlantic USA-Europe return earlier this year.

They can be contacted via MMOPA, the resource for PA46 pilots.

www.mmopa.com (http://www.mmopa.com)

Enjoy your trip.