PDA

View Full Version : Fly Cumulus

Vulcan607
4th Dec 2007, 06:04
Hi,

I've noticed articles about the Fly Cumulus groups in some recent magazines and had a look at their website.

A friend and i tried to set up a group and it didnt work out, our guess being no1 at the present time was able/willing to put up the capital to purchase an aircraft.

If there are any members of fly cumulus group reads this could you share your experiences and what sort of costs to consider.

Thanks in advance

Contacttower
4th Dec 2007, 16:43
I'm considering joining Fly Cumulus, there must be someone out there who can tell us something about their experiences?

Creep Feed Grinder
4th Dec 2007, 19:58
I have a late model aircraft available immediately and I'm willing to group it. If you are interested.
CFG

rupurrt
4th Dec 2007, 20:06
I fly with Cumulus and so far I have been very impressed with the set up. The aircraft are well looked after and availability is excellent. Prices are as per the website plus fuel and landings. More than you'd pay at a club, but well worth it!

Vulcan607
5th Dec 2007, 11:34
creep feed,

where is the aircraft based and are you setting up a group through Fly Cumulus?

could you PM me some of the details and figures of what your looking to do?

Thanks - all the best

Tony Hirst
5th Dec 2007, 12:10
Forgive my OT question as I have been eying up Fly Cumulus too, just not sure how seriously at the moment though. Out of interest, is the Blackbushe SR20 ADF and DME equiped?

Creep Feed Grinder
5th Dec 2007, 19:28
Vulcan607,
I have an aircraft and I would like to group it. It's not through another company. I've pm'd you.

fireblade669
9th Dec 2007, 10:24
I'm the "Giles" mentioned in the recent Loop article. Both a co-founder and a member of Cumulus.

I'm going to try to avoid going into a sales patter or anything here as I don't want to offend anyone but if you have any questions about Cumulus, do feel free to post and I'll do my best to respond.

It's a friendly bunch of people driven by the desire to fly high quality aircraft. It isn't operated on an Asda-style "this is the cheapest you'll find" basis but that said, you'd struggle to fly a Cirrus for less! Yikes, that's sounding like a sales spiel!

Anyhow, to answer the ADF/DME question Tony, our SR20s are not ADF/DME equipped. Not that it's enormously useful to you Ton but the Archer III at Bournemouth is. It's worth saying though that as a member of the group, you can fly ANY aircraft that Cumulus takes on as long as you are checked out and proficent on the type.

Contacttower
9th Dec 2007, 11:06
you can fly ANY aircraft that Cumulus takes on as long as you are checked out and proficent on the type.

If you've got no experience on type can Cumulus arrange a check ride?

fireblade669
9th Dec 2007, 11:14
Yes. Cumulus supports a pilot using their own instructor where appropriate (ie that the instructor knows the type) and employs a highly experienced, friendly instructor who runs operations and basically ensure that standards are met by everyone! He also does checkouts.

Cumulus is not a flying school and pilots make their own arrangements with our instructor. This seems to work better for everyone and means we can work WITH flying schools rather than against them!

Hope that helps.

Contacttower
9th Dec 2007, 11:37
If for example in the case of the Archer at Bournemouth one had lots of hours on type would you still need a check ride?

What sort of proof of competence do Cumulus require?

fireblade669
9th Dec 2007, 13:19
I must admit that I'm not in charge of that policy at Cumulus. I'll find out the absolute answer for you.

That said, clearly Cumulus has a duty and responsiblity to err on the side of safety. At the very least it would be a strong recommendation to spend even a short time familiarising with the instructor. Otherwise a sign-off from another instructor that you're competent on the type should be sufficient.

Contacttower
9th Dec 2007, 13:35
OK- thanks, I was just curious because while I have lots of hours on the PA28 I have none on the Cirrus.

englishal
9th Dec 2007, 13:55
If you don't mind me asking, is Paul Wills anything to do with FC (just trying to find out if the group is the one I think it is)......?

fireblade669
9th Dec 2007, 16:05
Absolutely not. Paul lost interest in GA and now works for Piper in Shoreham. As you can probably tell therefore, I do know him and worked with him on his "Aeronautique" scheme at one point.

englishal
9th Dec 2007, 21:06
Thanks for that...I'm sure we have "chatted" in the past. Good luck with FC. You don't plan to get any Twin Stars do you ;)