PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Atlantic Journey Time. Cost/Benefit

strake
3rd Dec 2007, 11:54
I live near Ipswich and fly to Miami on a fairly regular basis.
Virgin pick me up by car from my home at 09:30 for LHR and I arrive at my destination hotel, near Fort Lauderdale, at about 19:30 local. So, a journey total of about 17 hours door-to-door at a cost of (given approximately the same timings on the return) £4500 return.
Out of interest, if time was vital and money no object, what is the fastest time, using a private jet, I could do the journey and at what cost?

FLCH
3rd Dec 2007, 15:12
Try :http://www.premieraviation.com/prices.asp
These guys would be able to help you out.
One quote will get you to Antigua which is a little further than where you wish to go but it saves a hell of a lot of time, it's pricey, still you could take several of your best friends with you, me being your newest best friend.
I'd rent a Citation X as they do around Mach .95 compared to .80 to .85 on airliners. HTH

AircraftOperations
3rd Dec 2007, 19:55
Depending on how long you stay there (return prices or 2 x way), I guess you could maybe do 12-14 hours door to door and be looking at £60k-£80k each way.

You are a bit isolated in Ipswich as far as airports are concerned - I guess Stansted to FLL would be easiest.

strake
3rd Dec 2007, 20:47
Interesting information..thanks.
Normally four of us travelling together (J but can be F). So, £30k per trip BA @ nine trips per annum £240k.
Say £60k private less 20% for guaranteed 9 trips = £432k
Time saved, say 4 hours each man per trip. 144 hours @ £500 per chargeable = £72k.
Therefore: Justify £120k per annum...and I'm there..:ok:

Itswindyout
7th Dec 2007, 13:07
There are so many variables.
Do not forget to charge for your sleeping time!!!!!!....most business pond hops are planned to be overnight returns to UK, to permit a horizontal rest. so arrive back in UK ready to work, a normal day.
I am going Luton / Savannah in two days time, planned depart Luton 5am, and arrive Savannah 8am, local time.
The return will be over night, so no lost productive time.
The aircraft a GV, can easily do this trip, and might cost !!!!. a charter customer perhaps 150,000 US$. and we could take 14 on this trip. so almost 10kUS per pax. o5 5k stg per pax.....................................
For this we would include 4 days of down time.
It is almost impossible to justify the use of corporate charter on a cost basis alone.
A Citation X will require a fuel stop, but will cruse at a faster speep, the net differnece is almost NIL.
You must add the intangible items, safety, security, flexiability, ego, etc, etc.
Windy

A Very Civil Pilot
9th Dec 2007, 08:57
Isn't the space shuttle scheduled to do it in half an hour if it has to divert into Fairford? ;)

Trouble is it's only one way.

con-pilot
9th Dec 2007, 17:05
Out of interest, if time was vital and money no object, what is the fastest time, using a private jet, I could do the journey and at what cost?

As the speeds of the G-V class aircraft is the same as all of the airliners flying across the Atlantic your time savings with a G-V type aircraft would be related to ground time.

You would leave from Ipswich, I am assuming that the Ipswich airport is still there and has a paved runway around 7,000 feet long, (when I flew at the Ipswich airport it had grass runways :ooh:) saving you time used for the drive to LHR.

When you arrive at your aircraft you depart, none of that two hours before departure nonsense.

When you land in Miami you clear customs at the Private Aircraft Terminal. Not the fastest service in the world but much quicker than the customs at the airline terminal. Then after the aircraft relocates to the FBO (Fixed Base Operator, kind of like a garage for private aircraft) your car will be brought to the aircraft and off you go.

So I would say that you would save a significant amount of time.

Now, I can set you up with a used G-V for a mere 40 some million USD. ;)

Or a used G-IVSP for just under 30 million.

IRRenewal
9th Dec 2007, 18:54
You would leave from Ipswich, I am assuming that the Ipswich airport is still there and has a paved runway around 7,000 feet long, (when I flew at the Ipswich airport it had grass runways ) saving you time used for the drive to LHR.

Unfortunately, 'Ipswich International' is now a housing estate.

AircraftOperations
9th Dec 2007, 20:10
"When you land in Miami you clear customs at the Private Aircraft Terminal. Not the fastest service in the world but much quicker than the customs at the airline terminal. Then after the aircraft relocates to the FBO (Fixed Base Operator, kind of like a garage for private aircraft) your car will be brought to the aircraft and off you go."

If his hotel is near Fort Lauderdale, then he wouldn't need to fly to Miami.

Straight to Fort Lauderdale would save even more "ground time"

con-pilot
10th Dec 2007, 01:21
Straight to Fort Lauderdale would save even more "ground time"

Excellent point, didn't think about that, I just locked in on Miami. :ok:

strake
10th Dec 2007, 10:13
Thanks for the further info....actually, thinking about it PBI would be closest and very convenient for Breakers....
Sadly, as has been said, Ipswich is closed now, so it'll have to be Heli from the paddock to Norwich or indeed Wattisham. Only a few thou extra I'm sure.:)

AircraftOperations
10th Dec 2007, 17:58
Not sure NWI would have all the tarmac you'd need for a Westbound crossing to Florida in a heavy jet, but I could be wrong. 1800m???

Itswindyout
14th Dec 2007, 11:22
6500ft would be a realistic length of tarmac needed to dep UK at max fuel, in GV.

At least is was from EGGW two nights ago.....

The SSK
14th Dec 2007, 11:31
Have you examined the cost/benefit of moving closer to Miami?

strake
14th Dec 2007, 14:57
Then I'd have the problem in reverse....!