PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Germany

JohnR
2nd Dec 2007, 20:30
Does anyone have recent experience of GA flying in Germany? I am planning to fly to Essen Mulheim in a twin for the first time next week and would welcome any advice. I have been told to expect pretty rigorous checks when I arrive.

172driver
2nd Dec 2007, 21:15
Don't know where or why you get this from. It's a pretty straightforward country to fly into/through. ATC are very professional and friendly, most airfields I ever have been to were well organized and some even have (or at least had) excellent restaurants :ok:

As you say you\ll be in a twin, I guess at this time of year you'll going IFR, if not, then be advised that the old VFR transponder settings have gone, it's standard now, although you will get a squawk anyway.

What might help (I don't know Essen/Mühlheim) is to call immediately before departure with an ETA. This definitely worked in Siegerland, where the fire brigade used to do the immigration checks ! Suggest you give them a quick call to find out if anything special is required.

Fuji Abound
2nd Dec 2007, 21:23
Flying in Germany is excellent. Been there a few times this year.

Very professional, very friendly - in fact just very good.

Do just be aware of where your aircraft stands on noise.

drambuster
2nd Dec 2007, 21:46
JohnR
I fly through Germany a couple of times a year en route to Hungary. I have to say I have always found the various Flight Information Services absolutely brilliant as well as ATC generally.
It may be worth purchasing the Bottlang trip guide for Germany from Transair. lots of useful info in there. (although this only has VFR plates)
Also, the German Aeronautical Information Service can be found at:
www.dfs-ais.de/pilotservice/index.html
I have stopped at six or so airfields (Bottlang will tell you which have Customs as will the AIS site) and never had any problems. There was a report of one particular airfield that is over enthusiastic on document checking and this is well known to the German GA community. I can't remember the name but I'm reasonable sure it's not the destination you have in mind.
Have fun !

Wrong Stuff
2nd Dec 2007, 22:00
There was a report of one particular airfield that is over enthusiastic on document checking and this is well known to the German GA community. I can't remember the name but I'm reasonable sure it's not the destination you have in mind.
The place I've heard mentioned is Munster. It's been about a year since I was last there but had no problems at the time myself.

As previously mentioned a noise certificate is handy, but other than that I've always found German airfields universally welcoming and efficient.

Oldpilot55
3rd Dec 2007, 02:13
Just curious ..how do I get a noise certificate? I assume you have to get one before you depart UK or pay extra when you get to Germany. Are there any other European countries that need them?

Wrong Stuff
3rd Dec 2007, 06:33
Just curious ..how do I get a noise certificate?
Assuming you're G-reg:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1407&pagetype=90&pageid=8140
I assume you have to get one before you depart UK or pay extra when you get to Germany.
They can look your aircraft / propellor combination up in a book, which means producing the documents showing the aircraft type and propellor fitted. There are some combinations missing from the book.

bookworm
3rd Dec 2007, 12:20
The place I've heard mentioned is Munster. It's been about a year since I was last there but had no problems at the time myself.

I've been asked for my certificate of insurance at Muenster in previous years, no checks in three visits this year, despite the scaremongering in Pilot. Just have the required paperwork , anyway! At EUR 18 landing fee (plus EUR 10 nav, no handling) for a sub-2000 kg aircraft at a major international airport, I think the value is well worth it.

S-Works
3rd Dec 2007, 12:57
I have been into Essen loads of times and not once been asked for anything other than my landing fee. You pay upstairs in the little ops room where you will the weather etc. In front of that is the tower which is actually a glass box on the ground. Very friendly bunch, cheap landing and a quick taxi ride into town. Can't comment on VFR as I only ever arrive of the airways but the service has always been good from the tower guys and ground staff.

Fuel is in front of the tower and can often involve a bit of a wait.

Flying in Germany is easy and worth doing. Other great places are Fridrichsaven (spelling?) Koblenz and Konstanz.

alexka
3rd Dec 2007, 15:42
Hi JohnR,

Another tip : just before planning VFR flight to a German airfield, make sure they do RT also in English. Vast majority of airfields in Germany do so, but some of them don't. This information can be found at visual operation chart ("En/Ge means RT in English is available), or by phone call.

As someone already mentioned in this thread, phone call in advance is always a good idea.

Enjoy flying! :ok:
Alex

Johnm
3rd Dec 2007, 16:50
The way regional airports are going in the UK Germany is very attractive!

Helpful ATC, excellent airport facilities and uniformly GA friendly in my experience, which ranges from arranging a landing at a gliding club who turned out specially to refuel me to diverting into Leipzig due weather where an overnight stay professional handling, landing and Nav fees were a princely 60 euro

EDMJ
4th Dec 2007, 18:38
Can you read German? If yes, then..

http://www.eddh.de/info/lande_pireps.php?pi_icao=EDLE

This excellent German website has a facility where everyone can comment on just about any European Airport. Very helpful sometimes!

JohnR
4th Dec 2007, 19:27
Thanks for all the advice. I emailed Essen regarding arrival and they have been extremely helpful.

Radar
4th Dec 2007, 20:59
As one would expect, John. Enjoy the trip. Which route do you intend to take?

Farrell
5th Dec 2007, 04:19
I love flying in Germany.

Very professional and helpful. No hassles. Going airside at THF to take a Cub up was a straightforward affair. Quick check of flightbags through xray machine. Quick look at my passport and off we went.

If you get a chance to go up to Berlin take it. Loads of great views and flying around the old Eastern Bloc air bases and bunkers.

One of my favourite places in the world.

Kerosene Kraut
5th Dec 2007, 08:47
There is a very handy pocket guide (german language) with many airport maps and info for VFR flying in Germany available, the Flieger Taschenkalender. It's revised anually and at about 19 Euros it's worth it.
Check local traffic patterns for individual noise abatement procedures before. Sometimes required patterns can look funny in Germany.
http://www.schiffmann.de/luft_newsansicht.html?&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=23&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=106&cHash=c5bff51223
https://www.siebert.aero/secure/index.cfm?hash=AC4EB020D25C740ECEB9654F686786AD:1541508&m5=1541508&i=1&tpn=1

JohnR
5th Dec 2007, 18:28
I fly from EGBW so it will be Cambridge, Clacton, Koksy, Nicky, LMA and EDLE

inbalance
5th Dec 2007, 20:46
Essen is located below the ILS of Duesseldorf.
Mind the "C" Airspace of Duesseldorf, 1500 MSL to FL100.
A very busy Airspace, and nearly impossible to get a VFR Crossing Clearance.
The best is to fly into the Pattern from the North below 1500 ft MSL.

To avoid busy and restrikted airspaces, contact FIS, they are very helpful.

There are some small Hills in the south, up to 500 ft MSL, so coming in from the North is the better choice with marginal weather also.

German Airspace:

Uncontrolled Airspace is everywhere from Ground up to 1000/1700/2500 above GND. 1000 and 1700 only near CTR´s. Above that we have Controlled Airspace "E" up to FL100. You can fly in E Airspace without clearance, only the weather minima for E Airspace must be established.
Above 5000ft MSL Transponder is mandatory, squaking 7000.

Around busy Airports you have "C" and "D" Airspaces witch are marked green on the german ICAO Chart, protecting the IFR Traffic. A Clearance to cross is mandatory and can be obtained by FIS, or they will advise you to the apropiate ATC unit.

If possible try to get a noise certificate, without it, landingfees can double at some airports.

wish you a nice flight to my home country

Inbalance

windy1
5th Dec 2007, 20:47
I'm a bit vague on this, but does Germany insist on Mode S pretty soon next year?

inbalance
5th Dec 2007, 21:12
Yes, all powered aircraft need a mode s transponder after 31st of march 2008, if they intend to fly above 5000ft MSL, Nightflying, or if they like to enter C and D airspace.

Inbalance