PDA

View Full Version : Which are popular CRM terms

clearfinalsno1
29th Nov 2007, 21:42
Hello, I'm an ordinary PPL and would like some assistance with CRM terminology/vocabulary. I've done a search before posting and found this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128378) thread which was quite useful but is now closed.

I recently went on a mountaineering expedition and thought that safety was compromised on several occassions due to the 2nd in command being intimidated by the leader and thus reluctant to question his authority. I am planning on documenting this and as I am a flyer I thought I would give an example of using CRM terminology (eg the 2x747 Tenerife air crash was apparently caused by a similar reluctance).

So, in CRM speak is it normal to say something like:
The cockpit gradient was so steep as to be dangerous

etc etc - more examples please.

zerozero
30th Nov 2007, 04:04
So, in CRM speak is it normal to say something like:
The cockpit gradient was so steep as to be dangerous

I think the term you're looking for is "Command Gradient."

CRM is a fairly dense subject if it's done right. Otherwise it just sounds too touchy-feelly for most people.

You know, *communicate* your feelings. *Listen* to your partner. Speak up when you're *uncomfortable*.

Yeah, yeah, yeah we all know that. The sad fact is some of us play with others better than some.

Anyway, another useful term (especially in reference to the Tenerife accident) is "Trial Balloon."

When the KLM FE asked, "Is he not clear yet," that was a trial balloon.

In other words, he verbally floated a concern into the cockpit and waited for someone to either grab a hold of it or poke a hole in it. Other trial balloons sound like:

--Does this look right to you?
--Boy it's windy today!
--What was the braking action report again?
--Nobody else does it like that.
--Are you as tired as I am?

You get the idea.

Bottom line: CRM is basically a management exercise on the micro level. It analyzes how humans interact with each other, with their environment and their machine.

It seems to me that the majority of CRM material is focused on how we interact with each other--or--how we *send* and *receive* information.
In order for communication to occur you need three things: A sender. A receiver. And a message.

If you send (perhaps a trial balloon) and I don't receive it (barriers to communication are myriad and a whole subject on its own) then there is no communication, no matter how many times you send the message.

So the quality of communication is evaluated by feedback. You send a message, I receive it, and send you back confirmation that I have "received and understood" your message.

And guess what? The most basic R/T term "Roger" means exactly that: message received and understood.

And that's what it's all about.
:ok:

P.S. Medical doctors have *just* discovered CRM after many years of chopping off the wrong leg!
:8

clearfinalsno1
30th Nov 2007, 10:26
Thank you zerozero. CRM is an interesting subject because (as in the example you give of surgeons) it applies to almost every walk of life. As such though, it is probably something that can only be effectively taught through practical sessions and mentoring. There are so many "personalities" out there that make a text box "one size fits all" approach unlikely to succeed.

zerozero
30th Nov 2007, 17:50
As such though, it is probably something that can only be effectively taught through practical sessions and mentoring.

As you say, there are a lot of personalities. But it seems to me the most effective instruction is the analysis of previous accidents.

And this is why it's *so* important that pilots are not criminally prosecuted for their mistakes. In an environment where we're defending ourselves it's only natural that important details will be covered up or simply omitted.

It's important to share our mistakes *and* our successes for the benefit of everyone.

Doctors could certainly learn from each other.

And as a mountaineer, you're probably already familiar with the book "Into Thin Air" about the Mt. Everest tragedy.

http://books.google.com/books?id=b780AAAACAAJ&dq=Jon+Krakauer&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D9p%26sa%3DX%26oi%3Dspell%26resnum%3D0%26c t%3Dresult%26cd%3D1%26q%3Djon%2Bkrakauer%26spell%3D1&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=3&cad=author-navigational

Lots of CRM type factors in that disaster: Leadership, command, decision making, weather, experience level, etc...

Good for you for taking a positive interest.
:ok:

Non-PC Plod
4th Dec 2007, 15:21
You may be interested to know that many safety-critical work environments now use CRM as a safety-enhancement tool. As well as the health service, you will find it in the maritime industry, and I read not long ago some very interesting reports from a US fire department analysing reasons contributing to accidents when firefighters have lost their lives. Not surprisingly, it includes exactly the termnology we are used to: communication, decision-making, situational awareness, threat & error management etc etc.
Unfortunately, as you will find on other threads in this forum, you will find that some people think that they are soo professional that they have nothing more to learn. Please make up your own mind.:ugh:

beamer
4th Dec 2007, 16:41
I've attended any number of CRM courses over the years and much of it has been good stuff centered around other peoples accidents from which lessons have been learnt - that of course is our bottom line, keeping the operation safe. Unfortunately the PC brigade have hi-jacked some, repeat some, areas and turned some areas of discussion into psycho-babble nonsense whilst building another little empire for themselves. Not being a toal luddite, I've just finished reading a new CRM manual with which I have just been issued and much of it is a good read but less theory please and more reality in future.

Non-PC Plod
5th Dec 2007, 11:06
Thats the key - training has got to be seen as relevant and appropriate for the people attending it. If its not, it will turn people off, and bad training is more destructive than no training at all.

Farmer 1
5th Dec 2007, 11:32
"Roger" means exactly that: message received and understood.

Actually, 00, it ain't so - not the Understood bit, anyway.

I don't have a reference to hand, but I believe the precise meaning of Roger is: "I have received your last message." Understanding the message plays no part in the term.

Not many people know that, it seems.

zerozero
5th Dec 2007, 17:51
Farmer 1, you're right. I looked it up in the FAA's Pilot/Controller Glossary and it's simply: Message received.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/media/pcg.pdf

But then I got curious about the origins of the term 'roger' and found this:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/5/messages/958.html

Thanks for the elaboration.
:cool:

Centaurus
16th Dec 2007, 10:50
Unfortunately the PC brigade have hi-jacked some, repeat some, areas and turned some areas of discussion into psycho-babble nonsense

The latest of the above is TEM or Threat and Error Management - now brought into the before take off safety brief in one major Australian airline.
Briefing starts: " My take off. The threat is the runway. It is wet with strong crosswind from the left. Error management is we will use rated thrust and reduce V1 by X number of knots. Further threat is CB's on track. Error management is we will set radar tilt at 10 degrees and 30 mile range.

Get the message.....? :*

alf5071h
16th Dec 2007, 20:50
clearfinalsno1 as in many CRM threads there is a wide range of views of what CRM is/is not and what it contains.
If the originating request were to be limited just to communication then a view of interpersonal relationships / leadership would provide some answers. However, IMHO the issues which you describe might be more associated with understanding the situation (on which decisions were made), together with your and other’s interpretation of the situation and the apparent intimidating attitude (your understanding of the situation).

In general, assertiveness – the need to speak up, should not challenge authority.
The all important communication should contribute to a common understanding of the situation. Thus whilst the 2nd IC might appear to have been hesitant to raise an issue, there should not be any reason why you could not speak up (all crew members can contribute). Apparently your understanding of the situation differed from that portrayed by the leader (and also by the 2nd IC, but he might have agreed with the leader), thus the need to ask questions.
However, it is important to ensure that the way in which questions are formed do not challenge anyone personally or open them to ridicule; remember the problem could be your inability to understand the situation / risk / solution and your need to learn from the (apparently) more experienced members of the team.
Thus a questioning statement in CRM terms might be “Capt I don’t understand the need for xx, I see the situation as abc”; or “Capt have you seen zz? I would place zz high on my list of safety considerations … could you please explain (educate me) how an (your) alternative action is chosen.” Other examples as given by zerozero.

Centaurus, TEM, what a mess! I agree with you concerns.

TEM can be considered the use/application of a subset of CRM skills, mainly those associated with situation awareness and risk assessment. One aspect is to consider that every flight is different, thus the pre flight briefing should identify the differences and ensure that all crew have a common understanding of any safety issues arising – the threats and opportunities for error.

This view could be applied to the original question; what were the differences in the expedition, what were the changes to the perceived levels of safety. Then with some ‘standard’ thinking skills (www.illumine.co.uk/course-datt.htm), form questions that seek clarification. Some answers might result from self-refection or evaluating what is already known; but never, ever, assume that you know something when you don’t or that the other person is correct without confirmation – always speak up.
There is nothing to fear from ‘being wrong’, these just are opportunities to learn and enhance experience. The more you ask the more you learn, but ‘being right’ … a thankless task, is the achievement of improved safety.

rayan03
17th Dec 2007, 10:30
CRM on mobile is a popular term now. Anyone here uses Salesforce, for them there is something new service available. I recently registered for it. It is MoDazzle. through it you can access Salesforce on your mobile vis SMS and email without internet and GPRS. Anyone who is interested to know more about it check out this site. http://modazzle.com/cms/modazzleLp2.html?channel=CM&camp=SalesForce12
http://modazzle.com/cms/userLogin.html?channel=CM&camp=mobilenetap