PDA

View Full Version : CAA license

Fuji Abound
29th Nov 2007, 20:26
They gave me my license for life - doubtless like a few others on here.

I have been careful not to exchange it for anything from Europe.

What will happen when EASA take over I wonder?

They also gave me my driving license for life. I wonder what would happen if they decided to take it away and everyone had to exchange it for something from Europe and then renew it every two years.

I wonder whether the CAA/EASA might have the odd legal challenge to look forward to?

Legalapproach
29th Nov 2007, 20:52
Fuji

I absolutely agree with you. My licence lasts for my lifetime and the imposition of a renewable licence is simply an exercise in charging us money for something we already have. The problem with a legal challenge is going to be the wording on our licence "......for the holder's lifetime unless revoked, suspended or varied" It's the latter that will probably enable the CAA/EASA to alter the arrangement.

Changing the validity and charging us for it has nothing to do with anything other than money grabbing. The argument in favour will be to do with safety/currency etc but that is nonsense because of the currency requirements.

I like to think of myself as normally a europhile but things like this make you wonder

S-Works
30th Nov 2007, 16:22
If you read the stuff that was out there you would know what is going to happen........

Your licence will remain valid for life as promised, however all of it's privileges will be withdrawn so if you wish to continue to use them you will have to apply for an EASA licence which will reinstate any privileges you had minus any national ratings that have been withdrawn.

The EASA licence will also be valid for life however it will have to be renewed on a fixed basis currently set at every 5 years. A pure cash generating exercise rather than safety related.

There are plenty of us in the same boat, but thats the way it is I am afraid.

DFC
30th Nov 2007, 16:26
The licence issued to you for life will be with you for life.......even if you get another licence eg a JAR-PPL isued on the basis of it.

You never have to hand back your for life licence.

Having said that, the licence is useless without a medical and valid rating(s).

So if the CAA was to say to you you can have your licence for life but the ratings which are not for life can not be revalaidated unless you hold the appropriate licence - a European one ends the argument.

There are always plenty of ways round such "problems".

Regards,

DFC

Fuji Abound
30th Nov 2007, 16:27
Your licence will remain valid for life as promised, however all of it's privileges will be withdrawn

Ah yes, but my license says I can fly without any ratings added what so ever - they were never a condition of the license.

I didnt pay for a piece of worthless paper, I paid for the rights that the paper bestowed - in the commercial arena it would be breach of contract.

S-Works
30th Nov 2007, 17:00
Sorry fuji, read the small print on your licence. valid for life unless revoked , suspended or varied......

No breach of contract there I am afraid.

172driver
30th Nov 2007, 17:19
Fuji, get yourself an FAA license - valid for life (of course subject to medical and BFR).