PDA

View Full Version : MCC then FI or otherway around?

Nearly There
26th Nov 2007, 14:41
Hi all, quick question to those doing it, as title says really.
I have booked MCC for Jan at European based at Bournemouth, but as funds are like a pond in a desert, should I use MCC money to help fund FI then worry about MCC at a later date, or be in a position for employment just in case I find a magic lamp and the genie is a Chief Pilot

The goal is the airlines eventually but I know this rarely happens immediately, and the FI has all the associated benefits of being in the industry, being payed (which will be a novelty), P1 hours, and honing flying skills, as well as passing back knowledge.

I am looking at Ravenair for FI course as its local, so any feedback on any of the above would be appreciated

ERIK C
26th Nov 2007, 22:10
NT,
you are 33 years old, I suppose you have a job.
Do you want to instruct part-time or full-time?
If you want to keep your job and instruct part-time - let's say one day a week - you can do +/- 150 Hrs in your first year, get (maybe) unrestricted and make 2500 - 3000 pounds, which will pay for your MCC in year two, if you put all your FI money on the side.
As a full timer you can make maximum 18K before taxes (900 Hrs x 20 GBP/Hr) but you have to give up your current job. (Bear in mind that not all schools pay 20 GBP/Hr.:=)
Count on 6K for an FI course.
You have to do your maths and research. I don't know your situation nor your short and medium term goals.
Hope this helps,
Erik

Nearly There
27th Nov 2007, 11:32
Thanks Erik, no I dont have a job, have been modular training but full time for the last 12 months which is why funds are running low, just fininshing IR now, and MCC booked for Jan.
I would like to instruct full time, really I am seeing what others have done and what works, I know there is probably no correct way around for doing things and it depends on the recruitment situation of the airlines.
I have enough cash left for MCC, but then none for FI, so would have to work out of the industry for a while to save for FI.
Or I could postpone MCC and just about fund FI, I have no debt from flight training so far and would like to keep it this way.
The only concern is that it seems to apply for most jobs they require MCC, if you dont have one and a company starts recruiting, then by the time you have booked and completed MCC its to late.
Can you see where I am coming from, its a bit of a catch 22 situation.
Thanks NT

moggiee
28th Nov 2007, 01:10
If you want to instruct fulltime, then go FI first.

Many of our MCC customers tick the MCC box on the application form and then bank on being able to grab an MCC course if an interview/position is offered. You should be able to get onto an MCC course somewhere at about 2 weeks notice (we run them every two weeks, for example).

Nearly There
28th Nov 2007, 12:46
Ok, sounds a bit risky, would hate to blow a chance through a white lie on an application form, would a sim ride not show up that you have not really done an MCC, if you could not find one at short notice..or called for interview at short notice.

Arrestahook
6th Dec 2007, 09:27
Nearly: If I were in your position and I have been, do the FI course first and apply to CTC while your instructing. You will be given an MCC as part of the ATP scheme if you get through selection, so there is no reqiurement to have one before you apply.
Movement is slow at CTC at the moment but keep plugging away. In the mean time you have to do something to differentiate yourself from every other 250 hr graduate and gaining hours and valuable experience instructing will do exactly that. Its another qualification that you can put on your CV and enjoy even when you have that shiny jet job. Best of luck, A.

Nearly There
9th Dec 2007, 16:12
Cheers Arrestahook, CTC is pretty slow at moment, but the instructor jobs seem to be in abundance everywhere..
I have decided to do the MCC 1st purely because its in January and we all know what UK weather is like at that time of year!!
Then work for a short while build up the funds again and look to start the FI around March /April time, in time for the summer..
In the time in between well, send out the cvs“ and whatever else I can think of in search of that foot in the door..
:ok:

jamestkirk
11th Dec 2007, 12:55
Keep current. I was looking for a job for about three years. Just so happens I decided to renew my out of date IR and then got a call a few days after for an interview etc.

If I was not up to date, i doubt i would have got it. It was the usual, 'are you available now'.

The MCC will also help if you get a sim ride. CRM and all that stuff.

FI rating is good but not surehow much it helps with getting a RHS job. In my experience, few airlines see it as an advantage.

If you are in the lucky position of not owing any money then don't worry about a few grand to do both.

moggiee
12th Dec 2007, 16:16
I have decided to do the MCC 1st purely because its in January and we all know what UK weather is like at that time of year!!
That sounds like a smart move, in terms of making the best of conditions/time.

VNA Lotus
22nd Dec 2007, 15:56
hey guys,

I am, now, in the same position of Nearly...
I have just finished my training CPL/IR, and hesitate to do the FI course or MCC. I explain you my case :
I took a loan of 30000 euros (I'm french and will get a french licence), so around 15000 £. My CPL/IR cost me 25000 euros, so I still have 5000 euros in my bank. I can spend it on a MCC course. or FIC but I guess the FIC will cost a little more, maybe 9000 euros.

My opinion, the FI course is very usefull I think to keep current. And after my CPL/IR course I can tell I don't have any money to fly in a flying club :(
So the only (or easiest) solution is to do the FIC to fly.
And my plan, maybe to teach in a FTO, and send CV's in the same time.
Maybe I will be able to save 5000 euros for a MCC then...

The problem with the MCC, it can be usefull for any interview (first if you get this interview...) but I heard even with a MCC, you have to do it again if the companie pay you the TR... A friend of mine had a MCC and passed a selectiin with a french company, but he had to do the course again while the TR course. Joke!

thanks a lot !

VNA

BlueRobin
22nd Dec 2007, 21:26
Mogggieee did me cheap deal on a MCC and I was waiting months for my FI course to start. Which one did I do first? ;)
Instructing can take a lot from the MCC in terms of people skills so it is not wasted money in my opinion. Also I can tick the MCC box when applying for airline roles.
I do though expect to have to pay for some revisional training with Moggs both for sim checks (and my IR).