PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol in Mogas

rotorfossil
25th Nov 2007, 08:43
Has anyone had a successful positive indication of alcohol in Mogas using the recommended 10% addition of water in a tall tube. I have been told that all Tesco Mogas has alcohol in it but when I tested it, either the test is not sensitive enough, or there is insufficient alcohol yet for it to show using the above method.

Rod1
25th Nov 2007, 14:33
I have been told that the test is not sensitive enough. I did try it specifically on some Tesco fuel and I could not tell. I avoid Supermarket fuel, and use my local garage which says its fuel is alcohol free.

Rod1

IO540
25th Nov 2007, 17:10
Does this allegedly substandard Tesco petrol meet British Standard [whatever it is] ?

Some U.S. states have some sort of directive going through to make petrol contain at least 7% ethanol or something like that...

Rod1
25th Nov 2007, 18:41
“new standard for mogas with 10% ethanol”

This statement is inaccurate. The new standard specifies 10% bio fuel. There is more than one bio fuel and it is only ethanol, which brakes the regulation.

Rod1

Rod1
26th Nov 2007, 09:01
Your detailed article mentions ETBE and biobutanol, both of which have big advantages over bioethanol for aviation use. I understand several companies are looking at supplying forecourt fuel with these and one is considering marketing an Unleaded specifically suitable for light aviation use. I have no timeframe on when a decision will be announced, but the PFA are working on it.

Rod1

JBGA
28th Nov 2007, 12:15
The petrol you buy in a forecourt can come from anywhere. Fuel companies regularly purchase fuel from rival companies when it's cheaper for them to supply a particular station. Some will indtroduce additives in to the tanker before delivery but things like ethanol are blended in at the refinery.
Therefore, it's not true to say 'all xyz company fuel has 5% in it'. The only way you can find out is to ask at the till. They are legally required to tell you what was in the latest delivery.

IFollowRailways
28th Nov 2007, 15:30
The petrol you buy in a forecourt can come from anywhere. Fuel companies regularly purchase fuel from rival companies when it's cheaper for them to supply a particular station.

I can confirm this is correct. My sister works for one of the large oil companies and I was taken for a guided tour around the plant. The first thing I noticed was all the tankers from different fuel companies and supermarkets lined up in a queue for refilling.

When I mentioned my surprise at this in the control office they all laughed!