PDA

View Full Version : Intensive PPl exam Course

Welshflying
24th Nov 2007, 22:51
Does anyone have any recommendations for intensive courses to complete all ppl exams , Ive heard there a great place in Bournemouth? any ideas

rossym
24th Nov 2007, 23:47
I think they do them in Haverfordwest... Not entirely sure though! ;)

18greens
25th Nov 2007, 10:26
I can recommend Bournemouth- Derek someone (picture of a flying pig in the advert in the back of pilot) .

People come away with impressive results from a couple of days work. useful if you can't work on your own.

Whirlybird
26th Nov 2007, 07:25
I've had mixed reports from Derek whoever-it-is (Davidson?) in Bournemouth. A couple of people thought he was great. Another said it's basically a crammer, and although he'll get you through the exams, you will have to do some reading by yourself if you're to know the stuff you really need when you get your PPL. But he seems to get people through the exams anyway, which is what you wanted to know. He advertises in most of the flying mags.

Sam Rutherford
26th Nov 2007, 07:41
Whilst I understand the attraction - don't forget you'll need to know this stuff!

Are you training to fly safely, or training to pass the exam?!

Sam.

PompeyPaul
26th Nov 2007, 09:34
with all the fanastic flying wx we get here in the UK, it';s not like you'll be short of spare time to read the books and get the exams done...

homeguard
26th Nov 2007, 11:19
The knowledge required at PPL level is BASIC and it needs to be well understood (I recognise that much of the current Air Law exam misses the actual needs of a PPL). Application of this basic knowledge, in the main, will need to be applied during every day flying. As an examiner I can say without any hesitation that the lack of understanding of those that have followed the quick fix, is a very real problem.
One or two day courses can help many, that have already done a fair amount of self study, to get a better grip. However for those that are allowed to just turn up with the expectation that within a few hours they will pass an exam are being sold short.
Only an examiner will know the content of the current exam papers. It is an abuse of the examiner appointment to set up short courses, within which only the minimum knowledge, to tick the particular questions of a particular exam paper which is put before them the same day. i.e. before it has all been forgotten!

znww5
26th Nov 2007, 11:29
I concur with SR and PP, cramming to pass these exams doesn't give you the chance to absorb the info properly. You'll be expected to apply what you learn throughout your flying career, so you need to know the material rather than be able to recite it parrot fashion for a day or so.

I used PPL Confuser by Nung Sornying, which has tests for each paper, together with explanations of the correct answers. The book costs about £20 and is worth every penny as the questions are very similar to the real-life exam papers.

My method was to read the books (Jeremy Pratt series in my case) pick one 'easy' and one 'difficult' paper each week then do the tests in 'PPL Confuser'; revise the weak areas; do the tests again and so on until I got a consistent 80% or above.

I've no idea how much the 'crammer' courses cost - but personally I would prefer to spend the money on flying.

Good luck with whichever route you choose