PDA

View Full Version : A320 Keep flaps & slats deployed after landing

redout
23rd Nov 2007, 21:44
Just noticed on the A320 CBT it states " If the landing was made in icing conditions or if the runway was contaminated with slush or snow, do not retract the flaps or slats until the ground crew has inspected them for obstruction of snow or ice " . My question is, how does this affect procedures used to indicate hijacking etc. as I thought taxing with flaps lowered was one of several ways of communicating this to atc whilst on the ground.

BOAC
23rd Nov 2007, 22:13
Standard procedure on most a/c. It is mainly the LEDs you need to keep extended until inspection.

Ndicho Moja
24th Nov 2007, 01:06
Use the radio to tell ground that you do not need any assistance. Simple.

redout
24th Nov 2007, 12:00
That seems ridiculous to have to call the tower and inform of that on every occasion. Sorry I just dont see that as a workable option. So if at Heathrow for example, in icing conditions every aircraft is to call the tower after landing and state that they dont need assistance. It obviously does not work like that.

Diaz
24th Nov 2007, 14:11
Surely it's obvious- if the runway is contaminated most (if not all) will keep the slats extended, no need to worry!

AKAAB
24th Nov 2007, 15:43
Pardon my confusion - I thought the whole "flaps down means I'm hijacked - shoot my tires" scheme was abandoned a couple of years ago.

I had a F/O miss retracting the flaps just the other day on the After Landing Checklist and I caught it when we reached the gate. Upon close inspection, we were able to determine that no one noticed and all six tires were fully inflated.

Aviator_IT
24th Nov 2007, 18:14
First time hearing this, can you elaborate a little more? Was this common practice for every flight?

16down2togo
24th Nov 2007, 19:00
Had the same problem recently, forgot to retract them and the only person scared to death was the mechanic who thought we had a flap problem.
Thought the hijack thing was abandoned long time.

NigelOnDraft
24th Nov 2007, 20:03
Thought the hijack thing was abandoned long time.I've been flying for 25 years and airline pilot for 12.. and never heard of that one... If I see someone taxying in Flaps down with no explanation I just made a discrete "Flaps" R/T call usually replied with "err... thanks" :{
NoD

Henry VIII
24th Nov 2007, 20:13
About the communication procedure on ground in case of hijacking refer to this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258798) post #24 also.