PDA

View Full Version : Sunday lunch 150 miles from Rochester

nigelisom
23rd Nov 2007, 16:38
Suggestions please for lunch venue (somewhere my wife might appreciate so not too grotty) for this Sunday on or very near a GA field, within the U.K. aprox 150 miles from EGTO (Rochester Kent).

We went to Sandown for our last lunch trip (very good it was too) and are looking for suggestions for other nice places with a decent Sunday lunch.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Isom

DX Wombat
23rd Nov 2007, 16:43
Shobdon - they do a great Sunday roast lunch for about £6.50 (I think). It's a nice friendly place usually with plenty to see and a FISO service at weekends. :ok:

S-Works
23rd Nov 2007, 17:14
whats up with LFAT, perfect for you to get to and a great lunch!

matspart3
23rd Nov 2007, 17:47
The Aviator at Gloucester is very good for Sunday lunch.

if she wants something really good, it's about a fiver in a taxi to Le Petit Blanc in Cheltenham

TheOddOne
23rd Nov 2007, 18:27
We went to Sandown for our last lunch trip (very good it was too)

Then try Bembridge and walk into town to the Crab & Lobster (nice stroll to get the appetite sharpened). Great venue.

Here's their site (http://www.crabandlobsterinn.co.uk/)

TheOddOne

ChampChump
23rd Nov 2007, 18:36
Abbeville? Good food. Admittedly it's not got the beach/town element but presumably at this time of year your time may be a bit limited so the lunch would be the destination, wouldn't it?

Cusco
23rd Nov 2007, 20:10
Shirley Le Touquet wins hands down.
If you're not feeling brave you can nosh at L'Escale at the airport:
For serious grub go into town (Taxi 5squids) to Pérard. (Sunday= ring 'em to book as it fills rapidly with locals)
Cusco.;)

Zulu Alpha
23rd Nov 2007, 20:39
Le Touquet...and Alistair Darling will pay for your luch via Drawback!!

IRRenewal
23rd Nov 2007, 21:20
and Alistair Darling will pay for your lunch via Drawback!!
Exactly the point I was going to make. Why suffer overcooked veggies in the UK when you can enjoy proper food in France? Steak Tartare, Confit de Canard, Huitres, Moules, Plateau de Fruit De Mere. Yummy! Might have to go tomorrow to try some of that. In fact, I will!

nigelisom
23rd Nov 2007, 22:41
Thanks for the suggestions.

Have done L2K, Abberville etc. and like all that but I decided to try and see if there were some "home grown" alternatives that come somewhere close.

So any more?

Nigel

Cusco
23rd Nov 2007, 22:56
Leicester Aero club does a mean Bacon Roll:

Not a patch on LFAT though:

Come to think of it a fairly large group from the other side are meeting for lunch and a chat at Conington on Sunday:

Might be worth a visit:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=38177

Cusco;)

HeliCraig
23rd Nov 2007, 23:03
It's only approx 75 nm (so 150 for the round trip :cool:), but Sywell do a good Sunday Lunch in The Aviator Hotel... very good food and a very friendly airfield - but I am bound to say it, its my home field!

Sadly Alistair Darling wont pay for lunch though!!

Fuji Abound
24th Nov 2007, 09:28
Bristol Filton - just within your range and an interesting trip from Rochester - go to Fishworks (you need to like fish) about 10 minutes in a taxi which will meet you at the airport. Unfortunately a typical shop front resteraunt but for fish lovers difficult to better.

Also the Clifton Sausage - a bit further but still a classic and a bit different, followed by a walk over the famous suspension bridge - very romantic!

Shoreham - well within your range. A 20 minute taxi into Birghton on a Sunday. Try Nia - superb food in a cafe type atmosphere and a wander around the Lanes will satisfy her if she also likes shops with a difference.

Wellsbourne - the Thai Boathouse - beautiful location on the banks and if you like food, Thai to die for - and once again a wander around Stratford.

Cambridge - I am sure there should be somewhere really good to eat, but I havent found it. Great location though. Free bus into the City from the airport Gates every 15 minutes. Hire a punt - always fun if you havent done it before, and there are plenty of reasonable resteraunts in the City - if not great.

Zulu Alpha
24th Nov 2007, 12:09
Guernsey or Alderney have some very nice restaurants. Alistair D will pay for lunch and you can fill the tanks with Cheap Avgas.
If you go via the Guernsey aero club, there is a special landing/parking rate and hire cars are very cheap (mention the aero club) last time they were less than £20 so cheaper than a taxi.
The best food I have eaten at an airfield was at Compton Abbas, but it was pub/cafe like rather than a restaurant.
One other alternative is to fly to Rougham near Bury St Edmunds and then get a taxi to Ravenwood hall which is a couple of miles away.. The bar food is excellent and the restaurant very good. Google for details and make a booking as they get very busy.

hobbit1983
24th Nov 2007, 12:23
Try Old Sarum - very nice restaurant & club atmosphere.

ericferret
24th Nov 2007, 20:20
The Netherthorpe idea is good, but how do you factor the lunch for two into the take off calculations for their short strip???????

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2007, 21:47
I think it's 1.33 to the power of n

where n = number of courses eaten ;)

Troy McClure
25th Nov 2007, 14:09
Compton Abbas is a great grass strip in Dorset, with a good restaurant. You don't so much take off as fly off the edge of the hill when taking off to the west.

Then route via Cerne Abbas (to catch a glimpse of the chalk giant with the enormous todger), Maiden Castle hill fort, the Fleet (between the Chesil Beach and the mainland west of Weymouth), Portland, then low level round Weymouth Bay and (with the Lulworth Ranges Danger Areas closed at the weekends), hug the cliffs as far as Corfe Castle. Awesome.

nigelisom
25th Nov 2007, 21:23
Thanks for all the suggestions, we will work our way through them gradually.

As for today, the wife decided that she really wanted to go back to Sandown (so long as I get to fly with no grief I don't care where I go) I am happy to report a good trip with excelent traditional carvery Sunday roast.

Nigel