PDA

View Full Version : ME / IR instructing

FlyingIsFun
23rd Nov 2007, 09:58
Is there anyone out there who has worked their way through the instructing ranks to do ME / IR instructing. I have seen a few adverts recently at some of the bigger schools for ME / IR instructors and am wondering where these people come from and how much experience is needed to gain a job in this field

I am a weekend hobby instructor mid 40's with an ME rating but with aims of developing into IMC, CPL and possibly the IR instructing. I know I will need to get an IR first to be able to teach it, and am going to do that once the new EASA rules become clear, if ever...

I would love to hear from any ME / IR instructors out there..

FlyingForFun
23rd Nov 2007, 15:03
Is there anyone out there who has worked their way through the instructing ranks to do ME / IR instructingYes! What do you want to know?

FFF
--------------

ERIK C
23rd Nov 2007, 15:45
Join the 'Big Flying School' as a single engine instructor. If you have a fATPL, CPL, IR, Unrestricted FI and Applied Instrument restiction removed they will most likely take you on board and train you to become a ME IR instructor. Expect to be bonded.:ok:

FlyingIsFun
24th Nov 2007, 14:19
Hi FFF,

Just really would like to hear from people who do ME / IR instructing either for a living or having developed into it as a hobby: How do you get into instructing at this level? What sort of pay can you expect?

thanks
FIF

ERIK C
24th Nov 2007, 16:29
In "Florida of Europe" you can make 40.000+ euros / year before tax as a ME IR. Nice hobby :}

FlyingForFun
24th Nov 2007, 21:14
FIF,

I'm not sure anyone does it as a hobby. Firstly, the investment to get into it is very high (need a fair bit of PPL instructing experience first, then have to have 70 hours P1 on MEPs which will frequently be self-funded, just for starters). Secondly, students invest very large amounts of money into the course, and are probably going to look for full-time commitment from an instructor so they can get best value for money.

For me, I knew I wanted to instruct, and got into full-time PPL instructing before I even had an IR. A year later I had an IR, and I was an unrestricted PPL/Night/IMC instructor. Then I decided to make the commitment to stay with instructing, and cashed in the last of my savings (actually the ISA which was supposed to pay off my interest-only mortgage, so it was quite a serious commitment) to start building up MEP hours until I had the experience to become an MEI.

I'm sure that's not the only way. As Erik says, you might try to get into one of the bigger schools right from the beginning and work your way up within a school, for example, but I can only relate my own experiences.

As for money, Erik is probably about right. I'd say you're looking at somewhere between £20k-£40k, with the big money found in the big integrated schools.

Hope that helps,

FFF
--------------

pilotbear
27th Nov 2007, 07:07
PTC in Waterford, Eire, full time ME/IR instructor can make €60,000+. You work 4 days on, 2 days off.
Teaching Airline cadets
The school will put you through the qualifications you need with a bond of course.
more info? PM me:ok: