PDA

View Full Version : Forced Landing Or.......

SEBRAVEHEART
22nd Nov 2007, 16:00
Hi folks!

I have meant to ask you whether there is another way to say one has to carry out a forced landing .
For instance, when on the water, you may say to have a ditch.....what about landing in the countryside....in a cornfield for instance?

Thanx a lot for coop

SEBRAVEHEART
Junior Air Traffic Controller in France

Saab Dastard
22nd Nov 2007, 19:22
Crash, perhaps? :}

SD

Contacttower
22nd Nov 2007, 20:30
If I had to tell ATC that I had lost the engine or something I'd just say:

"I'm landing in a field" (As well as position, height etc). If over water then I'd say 'ditching'.

Just saying 'I'm making a forced landing' is perhaps too generic...I'd hope to state roughly what I'm hoping to land on/in: field, road, runway, forest or whatever.

I have to say though I do worry that if I ever did loose an engine (and the one time I thought I might I was non-radio :ugh:) I might be so absorbed by trying to land that I might forget to make the mayday call.

BackPacker
22nd Nov 2007, 21:33
From first-hand experience, a very calm "can't maintain height, I'm putting her down here in the low flying area" had the same effect as a full blown mayday call.

In fact, it was me who was given vectors direct to the site of last radar contact to verify that everyone got out safely - which they did. I then was asked to provide GPS coordinates for the rescue services.

So as far as I'm concerned, the actual word "mayday" might be irrelevant as any unexpected off-airfield landing will most likely be treated as an emergency anyway. ATC doesn't really need to know the kind of terrain so inventing different words for a crash into woods, water or a field is not going to make one bit of difference. What's paramount is a position report, as accurate as possible, before radio contact is lost.

radicalrabit
22nd Nov 2007, 21:36
" eject!"...shi:mad:

SNS3Guppy
23rd Nov 2007, 02:26
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300671