PDA

View Full Version : Jan Minoli

Lon More
22nd Nov 2007, 11:04
This guy must be breaking a few records.

76 years old; 33000 hours;been flying since he was 16; didn't fancy the airlines; went into the Dutch Airforce for 25 years, flew the Meteor initially after training. In 1966 he became an instructor with Aero-Limburg (EHBK) then in 1978 he moved across to the now defunct Nationale Luchtvaartschool. On his retirement, in 1992, he became CFI at Air Services Limburg until this summer when he moved to the newly formed Stella Aviation Academy. As long as he retains his medical he has no plans to retire.

PH-SCP
5th Jan 2008, 19:56
I remember the party that was thrown when Jan reached 25.000 hours. It must have been in 1995 or so, shortly after he left the NLS for ASL. He lost his medical and all his licences back in 2000 or so and regained the whole lot back in 2002 or 2003. This means that he flew 8.000 hours in about 10 years, that's an amazing 800 hours each year. Rumour has it he owns a fork-shaped pen that he uses exclusively for his logbooks:=.

I don't really care what other people say about him, I think he's allright. Maybe it's time to quit flying, it simply cannot go on like this but I guess that as long as he makes it through his 6 months medicals, he's good to go.:ok:

reathaford
22nd Nov 2011, 10:08
Jan and I were in the USAF Aviation Cadet Program in San Antonio, Texas from June 1954 thru September 1954. We went different ways then and I have tried to keep up correspndence with him. I remember Jan as a very fine gentleman. I have sent Christmas cards over the last few years but I didn' get a return. I sincerely hope he is still alive and flying. He has my last 30 years address and I would like to hear from him. Gerald Reathaford, San Diego, CA. I am 77 and I think Jan would be 80 or 81. I could be off by a few years as that 57 years ago, I would dearly be able to converse or correspond with him.

Reverserbucket
22nd Nov 2011, 19:37
in 1978 he moved across to the now defunct Nationale Luchtvaartschool.

Not so...

CAE (http://www.nls.nl/)

Jhieminga
6th Dec 2011, 07:01
He celebrated his 80th birthday last March and ended up on television:
Al 64 jaar vlieginstructeur – Hart van Nederland (http://www.hartvannederland.nl/nederland/limburg/2011/al-64-jaar-vlieginstructeur/)
Jan Minoli de Living Legend 80 jaar! (http://www.stella-aviation-academy.nl/Jan-Minoli-de-Living-Legend-80-jaar-n128)

Unfortunately he had to stop flying a few months later. He's still around though.

Edit: reathaford send me a PM if you want me to look up his e-mail address.

Akrep
5th Jan 2012, 10:20
I had the pleasure of having Mister Minoli as my examiner for my IR check.
He has some interesting storries to tell and one can only hope to keep flying as long as him. :D

Akrep
12th Jul 2013, 13:55
Just heared Mr Minoli passed away a few days ago,
may he rest in pıece. my condolonces to his next of kin.

Pilotflyer
15th Jul 2013, 19:53
I will always remember Jan Minoli, from my very first flying lesson, when he demonstrated that a Piper can fly without any engine power and can land on a stamp size meadow...

Jan was one of a kind, with a great human feeling for his students, great humor and great stories. But above all, he was one of a kind as a pilot. Thousands of pilots have been trained by Jan and I know for sure that those pilots apreciate the added value of being trained by one of the most remarkable instructors in the Netherlands.

Thank God that pilots don't die, they just fly away.
Rest in peace Jan, keep an eye on our stick and rudder from where you are now!