PDA

View Full Version : FI Jobs Without IR or IMC (UK)

mustflywillfly
22nd Nov 2007, 07:44
Hello All,

I have 2 simple (I think) questions for you clever, well informed people:

1) Assuming I had a SEP CPL but no IR and was interested in instructing for a year or so is it realistic to get the FI rating and expect to get employed? My plan is to instruct before I get the IR (I would also be unable to afford an IMC as you may aswell do an IR anyway).

2) Bournemouth Commercial Flying Training is my preferred FTO however they only offer the FI course to those peeps with 10 hours Instrument Flight Time. How can one get 10 hours IFT without an IR or IMC ?

Any help much appreciated.

MFWF :ok:

combineharvester
22nd Nov 2007, 08:14
Hello, i did just that, I instructed without an IMC or IR for about 3 months, and did my IR over last winter when i was not too busy with the instructing!

You do 10hrs instrument as part of any CPL course, be it SEP or MEP.

hope this helps

mustflywillfly
22nd Nov 2007, 08:51
Certainly does help. Thanks.

Did the school pay you when you were instructing?

combineharvester
22nd Nov 2007, 10:01
at my previous place of work, the only differentiation in pay was between restricted and de-restricted instructors (i became de- restricted during my time there). My current employer makes no such differentiation. I guess it just depends where you go and work!

long final
22nd Nov 2007, 10:59
If you went to an employer with a SEP CPL FI(R) and no IR I suspect you would be welcomed with open arms. The reason being that you aren’t going anywhere else soon, i.e. commercial flying job.

Retaining instructors is getting harder and harder as the market for pilots is improving, so you should do fine.

By the way, was the question open to the ill informed and stupid people here? If not, apologies for answering.

LF

mustflywillfly
23rd Nov 2007, 10:58
LF your useful comments are very welcome, thanks!

I wouldn't want to be accused of discrimination. As such I hereby declare that any feedback from all peoples whether they be clever, well informed, straight, stupid, gay, white, yellow, black, brown, pink, post op transgender, pre op transgender, tall, fat, small, thin, able bodied, disabled, smelly, fragrant or badly informed would be most useful. Probably.

:E

TheOddOne
23rd Nov 2007, 17:55
As such I hereby declare that any feedback from all peoples whether they be clever, well informed, straight, stupid, gay, white, yellow, black, brown, pink, post op transgender, pre op transgender, tall, fat, small, thin, able bodied, disabled, smelly, fragrant or badly informed would be most useful. Probably.

I must be in there somewhere!

I do think it does make sense to have some form of IMC qualification as an instructor; there are the odd occasions where you might need to go IMC. It was put to me on my course that when teaching the basic 180-turn on instruments it may be a good idea to actually take the student into cloud, to show them how disorientating it will be. You can't do that without the qualification!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Solar
25th Nov 2007, 07:31
You forgot us Irish (thats a joke by the way)

I would certainly agree with LF

Another question for the same group of people.

Is there an upper age limit for instructing assuming the health is there?

BEagle
26th Nov 2007, 09:50
Unfortunately it seems that the UK IMCR is under serious threat if the idiots in EASA have their way....

Also under threat of extinction are the BCPL, R/BCPL (for those who still hold them) - and the UK CPL and ATPL holders' embedded IMCR privileges.

Not to mention both the lifetime UK PPL.....and the NPPL.