PDA

View Full Version : Save Branscombe Airfield By 05 Dec 07

DavidHayman
20th Nov 2007, 17:25
Dear Fellow Pilots, aviators and friends, we have recently moved in to Branscombe Airfield. Our problem is that the original planning consent to use the site as an airfield was on the previous owners name only. We have just submitted an application to the planners to get this original consent transferred.

Our most local neighbours have seen this as an opportunity to close us down and have started a petition to ban the airfield - this despite the fact that they bought their houses (either side of the end of the runway) well after the airfield had been established for many years. It would appear that they have managed to get cosiderable local support.

There are 11 people employed on the site that rely on the airfield for their jobs (an aircraft repair and restoration business and an aircraft covers business). The airfield also hosts an Air Day once a year that brings up to 10,000 people into the area and all proceeds go to charity (in excess of £110,000 over the last 17 years).

All we need is for you to click on the below link and register your support with a few comments like those I have made above. The link is from our web-site takes you straight to the council page as follows:

http:/www.branscombeairfield.com

The comments for the application close on 05 Dec 07. Any help or support is truly gratefully received.

Regards,

David Hayman
07836 550377
[email protected]

englishal
20th Nov 2007, 18:28
You certainly have my support. Have you posted this on the Flyer web site (www.flyer.co.uk)?

Didn't I see on Spotlight a few weeks ago that an aeroplane crashed there and that "locals" were trying to get the airfield shut down on safety grounds which is a shame.....

muffin
20th Nov 2007, 19:25
Post this in the Rotorheads Forum as well. If you want to see what happened a few months ago with a similar campaign, just look at this thread

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259510&highlight=elwood

DavidWeston
20th Nov 2007, 21:42
Thanks David

I've sent my letter of support in today.

All the very best

niknak
20th Nov 2007, 22:52
David,

sorry to say that you, or your advisors have rather bought this upon yourselves.

When you buy any commercial premises, it is incumbant upon you to, or employ advisors to, check that the proper permission is in place to allow you to continue to use or establish the business that you want to establish or continue running.

This comes up time and time again within the G.A community - a lack of proper business acumen and a folorn hope that getting a few messages of support from well intended supporters will sway the planners.

I do hope you that you win the appeal, but I must say that if you don't, you've only got yourselves to balme.

bcfc
21st Nov 2007, 07:10
I've added my support - it'd be very sad to lose this airfield and especially the vintage car fly-in.

A and C
21st Nov 2007, 10:18
I have no doubt that what you have to say is true but look at it from the point of veiw of the guys employed on the hangar floor.

After all there employer has not changed, the use of the site has not changed, all that has changed is the name on the deeds and who is out of a job ?!

All this because a few NIMBY's have moved in and seen the chance to hike the price of the property that they use at the weekends.

To let these people win is just another step towards turning this part of Devon into a weekend rural theme park.

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 10:59
Thanks for that - yes sadly we have had 2 incidents in 2 months (after none in 20 years); the first where a pilot stalled on take off and plunged into trees in a neighbours back garden - fortunately for him - he walked away with only his pride damaged; the 2nd was a couple of weeks ago when a the a/c had a burst tyre on take off and ran off the runway shredding his wing on the fence.

Of course this was jumped upon by our 2 neighbours in particular who have been doing the darnest to put the fear of God into the community about aeroplanes falling out of the sky.

Of course we know that the likelihood of this is negligible - but it's very quiet down here!!!

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 11:05
cheers - will do....

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 11:07
thanks Niknak for your comments - we were well aware of the risks involved - but there were several factors involved that did not permit the guarantees required pre-purchase. I won't bore you though with the detail....

Major Major
21st Nov 2007, 11:28
I too have contributed and have asked my family (some of whom live in Exmouth just along the coast) to contribute.

As I said to them, even if I wasn't into aviation, it's the kind of thing that really depresses me and will lead to the UK becoming a bland place. Like Skelmersdale.

I can feel a Partridgesque rant coming on about what idiot councils and idiot planning is doing to this little country so I'll stop before thread creep sets in.

Daysleeper
21st Nov 2007, 11:44
Weird I always thought planning went with the land rather than the owner, after all what difference does it make if the pig farm, power plant or block of flats is owned by Mr Smith or Mrs Jones.

Hey ho learn something new every day. Good luck.

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 13:29
Thanks David - Much Appreciated

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 13:31
Thank you very much - any help is gratefully appreciated....

FullyFlapped
21st Nov 2007, 14:08
Niknak :

David,

sorry to say that you, or your advisors have rather bought this upon yourselves.

When you buy any commercial premises, it is incumbant upon you to, or employ advisors to, check that the proper permission is in place to allow you to continue to use or establish the business that you want to establish or continue running.

This comes up time and time again within the G.A community - a lack of proper business acumen and a folorn hope that getting a few messages of support from well intended supporters will sway the planners.

I do hope you that you win the appeal, but I must say that if you don't, you've only got yourselves to balme.
Feel better after that ? Jolly good, always best to get the bleedin obvious on the table, chap deserves all he gets, can't take a joke shouldn't have joined etc etc. Excellent that you've carefully researched the background and know all the circumstances before giving him both barrels of the old "that'll-teach-you" ...

FF :ugh::ugh::ugh:

hobbit1983
21st Nov 2007, 14:10
Signature added. Lack of business acumen or not, I strongly hope that

local neighbours have seen this as an opportunity to close us down and have started a petition to ban the airfield - this despite the fact that they bought their houses (either side of the end of the runway) well after the airfield had been established for many years

does not mean the loss of the airfield.

S-Works
21st Nov 2007, 14:27
I am assuming that if we all support the cause we will now be welcome to fly in?

Mariner9
21st Nov 2007, 15:53
A little unfair perhaps Bosey, David did take the time to explain his reasoning behind his refusal for my PPR request earlier this year; I presume he has done the same for you?

BEagle
21st Nov 2007, 16:12
I supported the Planning Application and added:

This aerodrome is a well managed aviation asset which is operated in a manner designed to cause the minimum of disturbance to local residents, many of whom moved to the area in the full knowledge that there was a small aerodrome nearby.

In addition to providing a recreational asset, the aerodrome operator also hosts an annual event which raises considerable funds for charity.

There is no reason whatsoever to deny this planning application; there is every reason to grant it.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
21st Nov 2007, 17:23
I wish you well. I have used Branscombe a few times, both visiting and displaying there over the past 12 years and what a super little airfield it is. In a professional capacity, I found out very quickly (as in most cases like this) what a vicious bunch of liars & tree huggers the local opposition appear to be....

If I can do anything more than add my support, please PM me.

BUT.... If the locals do get their way, and heaven forbid you are closed down, maybe we should all be encouraged to carry out regular aerobatic practice overhead the once quiet and peaceful airspace. 500ft+ agl of course...

...Or you could sell the site to a huge extended family of travellers.........!

Good luck:D

bcfc
21st Nov 2007, 17:31
...carry out regular aerobatic practice overhead the once quiet and peaceful airspace...

Already do - well, over the nearby piggy farm :E

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 20:53
indeed you will!!

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 21:00
just to let you know - we've applied for 1000 movements - that being all we can demonstrate for a cert of lawful use if the planning fails. That means that we have a quota of 500 take off and landings available - so yes - with the best intetntions and certainly if we get consent - everyone and anyone is welcome - we just need to run the show with discretion and in sympathy with the AONB....

We'll never be a Shoreham - but a private rural airstrip that will be avaialble again to GA - hope this helps....

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 21:11
Thanks Chuffer - yeah - moved here with wife and baby and we got another being delivered this Monday. The negative reaction we've had from the locals has been unbelievably depressing. These people have nothing better to do with their time. On average there are 1.5 take off's and landings per day - and they've whipped up this fairly comprehensive petition - I just don't get it.

Of course - not a single one has spoken to us face to face - we have had email correspondence about how "upset" all the villagers are and that "tensions are running extremely high", but that they would prefer to have a stand off rather than meet us face to face to discuss - it's pathetic and I think long term damage to them as we've got a life and loads of friends and family.

One of our resident pilots (captain 777 with BA) has just bought himself an Xtra 300 that operates from here and that's gone down like a wet fart at the vicars tea party as you can imagine. Hoinestly - the whole thing is exasperating. This week for example - we haven't had a movement since last Friday. Ah well we can only do what we can do hey?? Look forward to seeing you at Branscombe and making the acquaintance.

Kind regards,

David

will5023
21st Nov 2007, 21:18
Hi David, I have sent in a letter of support, via the internet. However I was at a meeting with my local planning officers today, and they did query the lawfull use being to a person rather than the land, if it was given for use as an airfield !! I'm sure you have had planning experts, look at the origional and as long as you can prove the use of the land as a landing site for ten years or more they are obliged to give you a cert of lawfull use, I have just gone through this and have had supprt from customs and the police small ports unit who visit my strip to check the logs and sign them, which we have kept since 1987.
Good luck with your appeal .

Regards Will.

DavidHayman
21st Nov 2007, 21:22
cheers Will - yes - my lawyer reckons we have a good case for Cert of Lawful Use but reckoned we should try and work with the council on this - there's never been any enforcement action of the continuous breach of the original consent by t previous owner - which is all good.

The fact is though - that this is genuinely a quiet and rural spot and the airfield movements reflect this - about 1.5 per day on average. If we fail on the planning - the Cert of Lawful Use is next - but I've got my fingers crossed that this will not be necessary....

Tony Hirst
21st Nov 2007, 22:18
I've popped a comment of support throught the planning web site too. Good luck!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
22nd Nov 2007, 12:44
My support for retention has been sent. I'm conscious that the comments of an outsider may count for little, so I hope my last paragraph may place them in perspective.

Although not local to Branscombe, I am an aeroplane owner and pilot who is dependant on facilities such as Branscombe. I personally find myself increasing constrained by aerodromes being either forced to close or restricted to a point beyond usefulness. In the main, these are being forced by small but very vocal groups who have chosen to live by active aerodromes but then relentlessly lobby for their closure to improve their own narrow circumstances, regardless of the impact on the wider national interest.

Another angle on this is the exploitation of the site as a lucrative housing development. If I understand it correctly, the clause that Prescott's outfit sneaked through would classify the aerodrome as "brown field". I've not seen a Council yet refuse such an opportunity. Conversely, I'm sure it would make an excellent pig farm (or travellers' refuge) if the worst comes to the worst. Best of luck.

Randomtox
22nd Nov 2007, 16:29
Comments submitted !

simonrennie
26th Nov 2007, 19:18
My hand written letter of support has gone in the post today and will e-mail you a scanned copy, best of luck and not all Branscombe villagers are anti you or the airfield, indeed some are proud of its exitance and the contribution it has made to the community. [email protected]

AngloFrench
26th Nov 2007, 21:10
I live close to Daedalus in Lee-on-the-Solent, and have today posted in support of your application on the planning website.

Please also support those of us who want to retain Daedalus as a GA airfield.

NJSS

bcfc
27th Mar 2008, 11:33
I got an email today from East Devon council, probably in response to my letter of support. The salient bit says...

"TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990
PROPOSAL: Continuation of use of airstrip with proposed restrictions including a Noise Attenuation Flight Plan
LOCATION: Branscombe Airfield Higher Lands Farm Branscombe Devon EX12 3BL

I refer to your recent letter regarding the above.

I am writing to inform you that the application has been placed on the agenda for consideration by the Council’s Planning Committee at their meeting on 8 April 2008.

The meeting will take place at The Council Chamber, Council Offices, The Knowle, Sidmouth and is due to commence at 2.00pm.

Members of the public are invited to the meeting to hear the debate on the applications but are not allowed to speak.

If you have any queries regarding this application, please contact the Case Officer, Mr N Barrett on 01395 571531."

Good luck Branscombe!

bcfc
31st Mar 2008, 14:54
Erm...and now I get one saying

"With reference to the above, I am writing to inform you that the application has been withdrawn."

:confused:

notfarg
31st Mar 2008, 16:29
I got the same e-mail too. ???

robin
31st Mar 2008, 20:12
... me too

No doubt we'll hear more from the owner soon, but I hope the July fly-in is still going ahead

Mariner9
31st Mar 2008, 20:55
Perhaps David considered the planning hearing was best postponed in light of the recent media coverage of the Biggin crash.