PDA

View Full Version : NetJets 2008

Flik Roll
19th Nov 2007, 15:36
So, who's been successful?
I'm through to Stage 2! :eek:

Tommy' C
19th Nov 2007, 16:05
Congrats on Stage 2, this is at OAT-yes?

Any idea what NetJets have said so far in terms on how long they will run these, until END of 2008 anyway?

Tom

hollingworthp
19th Nov 2007, 17:22
Tom the scheme is now effectively open on a rolling basis. OAT will run assessments fairly regularly (possibly once a month but don't quote me on that). They will compile files and send them to NJE who will run stage 3 once every 3 months or so. They plan to recruit 48 cadets each year.

prat_eegle
19th Nov 2007, 17:26
Hi,
I just got an email a while ago telling me I got through stage 1 and was invited to stage 2 at OAT , further datails to be given shortly.
First of all congrats to all those who applied and congrats to all those who got through this stage, and good luck to all, of course.
Any idea what percentage of original applicants might have been called for stage 2 and how many more or less we will be at that stage?

besides that, any help or advice or hints as to what and how best to prepare would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Tommy' C
19th Nov 2007, 18:05
Hi Phil.

I've seen you around the OAT forums...how are you getting on, if I remember correctly you are on a NJE cadet-ship - congrats.

Thanks for that, gives me a better understanding of what they are up to!

Cheers

hollingworthp
19th Nov 2007, 18:19
No worries.

I am nearly half way through ground school and my first set of ATPL's is early December (time seems to really fly!).

The new course of cadets started today and there is a much wider spread of nationalities which is good. I think that makes 27 of us here now.

You just missed one of the larger open days and NJE brought a Hawker 800 down which was nice but rather crowded as there were something like 500 attendees - most of whom wanted to get into the cockpit.

If you have not yet applied then I recommend you do if you think business aviation is the right lifestyle for you (obviously everyone is different.)

Cheers

emcxh35
20th Nov 2007, 07:35
I'm also through, looking forward to meeting some of you in Oxford in December :)

Chris

4KBeta
20th Nov 2007, 12:14
I have also been accepted for Stage 2 but I am currently weighing up OAT vs Cabair (it is nearer to me) ...also the whole 'You must have accomodation at OAT' issue

I will have a think :)

Seaton81
20th Nov 2007, 12:50
So, if I'm reading this correctly, the successful candidates have already been sent conformation for Stage 2 progression...

Not heard anything so I guess that means a new application then!
OAT & NJE confirmed that their application process was monthly ongoing now, with an annual intake of 48, so there’s hope yet I guess.

The NetJets guys at Oxford on Saturday were really helpful and gave a good insight into the lifestyle involved. Sealed it into my mind that this is what I’d like to pursue. Plus the Hawker was might impressive and well worth the 40min wait!

So if anyone from NJE is reading this, then I’d like to say thanks for the info and get ready for my 2nd application!

****EDIT****

Just picked up the confirmation email for Stage 2. MADE UP :ok:
Best get practicing that trig / MA / numeracy...

I'm booked in for Dec 12th & (hopefully) 13th too

daheri
20th Nov 2007, 13:21
Congratulations!

I was not so lucky. I was rejected for stage 2. It was disappointing since I am really good at those sort of tests they use for stage 2.

Well, I guess I just have to submit a new and better application in some months.

By the way, does anyone know if norwegians are allowed on the program? I guess it must be that or my essays that lead to me being rejected...

redsnail
20th Nov 2007, 13:57
I don't know about the programme but we certainly have Norwegians flying for us. :ok:

emcxh35
20th Nov 2007, 15:09
Anybody else going down on the 12th and (hopefully :uhoh:) 13th December?

Chris

Waldo_Pepper
20th Nov 2007, 21:09
I'm going down on the 5th, looks like I'll be one of the first!!

Congrats to everyone, look forward to seeing some of you down there!

Adios
20th Nov 2007, 21:51
The OAT/NetJets FAQ says applicants must have EU or Swiss citizenship. Norway is not part of the EU. Perhaps the ones Redsnail mentions have dual citizenship. I'm not sure why the rules would be different for cadets than direct entry pilots, but it appears they are.

redsnail
20th Nov 2007, 23:06
No, they don't have dual citizenship. They are "just" Norwegian. We've also got Swedes too. They are a part of Schengen though.

21st Nov 2007, 10:33
Hi guys/gals!

Got my response from OAT for the 5th aswell.:)

Still, im in two minds whether to go any further.

My issue is with the Netjets lifestyle. While the idea of flying business jets to a changing destination everyday sounds exciting and the pay and conditions seem quite good, its the idea of working 5/6 days away from base that worries me.
Now I know your going to say, "well if thats your issue then you shouldnt seek a career flying."
Now maybe its just me but the idea of being away from your wife/husband/partner or kids for nearly the entire week for the course of your career seems quite extreme. Not only on yourself but the people close to you.

While im aware that being a pilot involves trips away, overnights etc. its the thought of knowing that with the likes of Netjets, you will spend nearly half your working life seperated from ones loved ones.

Maybe im wrong but from what I know of other airlines, you seem to be home after every shift and if not then maybe after an overnight or two. Thats fine with me. Even the idea of spending a week away from base once a month or something similar is fine with me but the Netjets schedule comes across a tad severe.
I wonder how current Netjets flightcrews family's cope with the absence of their jet setting loved one?!

Anyway, my rant over.

Ill have to decide now whether to sacrifice my home life for my career...?:confused:

Waldo_Pepper
21st Nov 2007, 12:32
Incidentally, does anyone know if we have to prepare a proper CV for the stage 2 interviews?

And anyone planning to travel down to Oxford on the evening of the 4th?

hollingworthp
21st Nov 2007, 13:35

The lifestyle - as a newly qualified pilot - is fairly specific to business aviation as when you join the airlines you will no doubt be flying short-haul. If you are having doubts at this stage then this might not be the right role for you but does not imply that there is not another more suitable position out there.

the_bookkeeper
22nd Nov 2007, 06:18

Actually I had to ask myself the same question. I will start @ Netjets in January. But: Now I worked in a company, a regional one, where you also can be away 15 nights a month, for half the money und you only have 8-9 days off.
When you look at the netjets schedule you will realise that when you calculate your days off and your vacation you will only work as less as 14 days a month average.

redsnail
22nd Nov 2007, 17:03
It's not too bad being away for 5 nights at a time. After all, you're home for 5 days in a row. I don't have kids but many of my colleagues do. They use Skype and other such means to call home as often as possible. If you have a genuine crisis at home, eg partner or child very sick etc, you'll be sent home without question. If you're injured at work or fall ill, you'll be sent home as soon as possible. The company will approve the use of you and your crew to fly yourself back to your gateway if no other means to get your home in a timely manner exists. (Exceptional circumstances of course, eg wife going into labour early etc)

I find getting the overnights "over and done with" in a block's much easier than 1 or 2 nights here and there. (Done that sort of roster too).

One thing to note, when you're on days off, the company will not contact you to "come in and help out". Every other company I have worked for has done that to me on my days off. Some more often than others. You also rarely do home standby.

It is possible to request specific days off if given enough notice. Something the loco's appear not to be able to do. (if going on what my husband's easyJet roster's like)

It depends on your energy levels but if you're working for eJ (for example), you'll do a block of earlies and that may have you in bed by 8pm if not earlier. If you're doing lates, you'll be returning home often after 10pm.

Each job has it's swings and roundabouts. If you don't think you can handle being away from home for 5 nights in a row (occassionally less - very rarely more) then don't join Netjets.

23rd Nov 2007, 08:45
Thanks for the informative reply Redsnail. ;)

redsnail
23rd Nov 2007, 14:06
Yep, now on standby in Palma de Mallorca. Don't you feel sorry for me? :E

Rainboe
23rd Nov 2007, 14:31
its the idea of working 5/6 days away from base that worries me.
Now I know your going to say, "well if thats your issue then you shouldnt seek a career flying."
Now maybe its just me but the idea of being away from your wife/husband/partner or kids for nearly the entire week for the course of your career seems quite extreme. Not only on yourself but the people close to you.

Wow do you have expectations I think you will find hard to satisfy in aviation)! Have you any idea what a hard core airline crew schedule is like? It sounds like you want to be a stay-at-home family person....like all day AND night! Do you know some people doing 9-5 spend 12 hours a day away from home? Some even have to spend all week away from home

24th Nov 2007, 17:37
Wow do you have expectations I think you will find hard to satisfy in aviation)! Have you any idea what a hard core airline crew schedule is like? It sounds like you want to be a stay-at-home family person....like all day AND night! Do you know some people doing 9-5 spend 12 hours a day away from home? Some even have to spend all week away from home
Im aware of that Rainboe. My current job sees me working 12 hour days and im regularly away from home for up to 5 nights.
My point was that I wasnt sure whether the Netjets schedule of 5 days abroad for every working week of my career was something id want from a job.

Adios
26th Nov 2007, 21:36

Five days abroad for every week within a 6 on 5 off pattern? excuse me, but I think you exaggerate. If not, where can I get some 11 day weeks? I'm so short of time for personal projects that I'd love an 11 day week with 5 of them to my self and family!

Also, nobody said you have to do it for the rest of your life. I would imagine NetJets ROI/payback is about 5 years, so I'd be surprised if you are obligated longer than that.

taking to the skies
27th Nov 2007, 11:00
Hi....

Anyone else down at Oxford on the 10th & 11th?:ok:

4KBeta
27th Nov 2007, 14:50
In the end I decided against going to Stage 2.

I realise any offer of sponsorship / mentorship must be jumped on but when you include the cost of mandatory accomodation at OAT and the hidden extras of money whilst in Phoenix it was asking too much really.

On top of that I have my University debt which is another factor.

I will be looking back towards CTC / Cabair.

Alpha Mike
27th Nov 2007, 16:24
hello taking to the skies

I'll be at oxford for stage 2 the 10/11th too.
I'll drive from Paris the 9th

see you there

taking to the skies
27th Nov 2007, 16:59
Hi Alpha Mike,

Are you staying at Oxford airport or nearby?

cheers.

Alpha Mike
27th Nov 2007, 23:50
Taking to the skies

I'll stay at OAT accomodation sunday evening and hopefully monday evening too.
Sunday I'll probably be there around 5 o'clock, depending on my left driving adaptation......

taking to the skies
28th Nov 2007, 14:15
Alpha Mike,

I'll email you my mobile number so we can have a chat before the BIG day - see you then
:ok:

Propellerhead
29th Nov 2007, 19:13
I wonder how many people are applying this scheme who have always wanted to do private jet flying, and how many simply see it as a scheme to get a 'foot in the door' with the ultimate aim of working for the airlines? It's certainly one of the better schemes financially. However I guess some people might really enjoy it after all and stay, whilst others may decide to move on. I don't know how easy it is to move from private jets to airlines, as private jets are maybe under the MTOW threshold that some airlines look for (not sure of the exact figure, 25t rings a bell).

PPRuNeUser0215
29th Nov 2007, 20:22
I don't know how easy it is to move from private jets to airlines, as private jets are maybe under the MTOW threshold that some airlines look for (not sure of the exact figure, 25t rings a bell).
Certainly in the UK it is not rare and far from it to join an airline operating Airbus/Boeing with as little as few hundred hours on pistons or turbo props King Air style.
All companies have different mini requirements but what is truly critical is how much and how quickly they need pilots. Right now the answers are... A lot and Yesterday.
But if they are going through a rapid expansion then they will favour guys with 3000 hours or so with some time on heavier equipment than a Seneca simply because the possibility and feasability to recruit Direct Entry Captains are the limit to their expansion/strategy. What I mean is that they want guys who can upgrade really quickly which translates into guys who meet nearly all the mini requirements to get through an upgrade course.
But having jet time on pretty much whatever is a big, big advantage. Nevermind the weight, specially if you are in your 20s.
Hardly no company expects a 25 years old to have 3000 on Jets over 20 Tonnes. Not that they don't exist but they are no necessarily the norm so airlines take a more practical approach towards they recruitment requirements.
In short and to answer your question, the 25 Tonnes thing you have in mind might be a requirements for one or more companies but no more than that. Requirements change and many have different ones.
I flew my first 115 Tonnes jet right after flying a chieftain... Until then I had never flown anything bigger than a 1900.
It wasn't that long ago and it was in the UK so here is hope for some...
As for now, well, I have left the airlines and enjoy flying Bizjets. Not for everybody but my kind of work. Like you though, assuming the job market remains good and talking about people getting on this scheme in their 20s, 30s, I too wonder what proportion will stick around for more than a couple of years.
Not necessarily because they don't like the job or the company but mostly because they will probably want to try their hands on the big stuffs.

Regards to all

hollingworthp
4th Dec 2007, 05:12
Today the scheme was extended to the EEA which means that Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are now included and eligible.

AdamLT
4th Dec 2007, 10:35
hi all

how long did it take before OAT got back to you with regards to you being successful at the application stage??
i applied on the 28th November and haven't heard anything yet.

cheers

ad

4KBeta
4th Dec 2007, 13:45
Considering that was right before a weekend and it is only the 4th today, learn to be a little bit more patient :rolleyes:

It took around 1 1/2 months for them to reply to me.

AdamLT
4th Dec 2007, 13:56
Thats ok then. It was just a general question!
Just that other schemes I've applied to have been alot quicker in replying. guess this one is pretty popular.

4KBeta
4th Dec 2007, 14:29
Schemes replied in less then 3 working days? Give me the schemes you have applied for please :p

DutchEagle
4th Dec 2007, 19:33
Hi to you all,

Got an invitation for stage 2 :ok:
I have to be there on the 13th & 14th of December. Anyone else travelling to Oxford on the 12th?

I was also wondering if some one could give me an idea what to expect at stage 2? :sad:

Thanks & cheers

Tamesy1
4th Dec 2007, 22:56
Hi all,
was just wondering what the average age of previously seleceted cadets might be? Read a post on a different website that said they dont really take early-twentyish guys and girls, any truth in this?? I'll only be 21 when the courses start and i'm feeling a little perturbed!
Cheers T1

hollingworthp
5th Dec 2007, 04:53
I think the youngest is 21 and the average is mid-late 20's

Emsie.B
6th Dec 2007, 11:33
I hope there aren't many people just using this as a stepping stone. This is my absolute DREAM job and I'd hate to think that I missed out because someone else got in that didn't really want to do it. The lifestyle that has been described on here just confirms to me that it's the career for me and anyone who thinks it'll be hard rather than fun is craaaazy in my opinion. Saying that, I am only 22 so I'm not looking to settle down yet and I'm quite happy to float around the world for 5 years, mingling with incrediby rich and famous people! :cool:

Alban
7th Dec 2007, 08:32
I'm in for the assessment on the 12th and 13th, anyone else that will be there then?

I was there in the open day when NetJets brought the Hawker 800 down. Everyone was so nice and so excited that I had come all the way from Sweden just for the open day.

I met some cadets on the scheme while waiting to enter the Hawker and really enjoyed talking to them.
If someone of you reads this I just want to tell you that you guys (and the girl) made the waiting enjoyable. Hope to see you all there again on the 11th, 12th and 13th.

The open day was really great, Me and my Girlfriend had a lot of fun!
:O :ok:

Cheers
Alban

yinyang
8th Dec 2007, 10:10
G'day all. Trying to save time reading acres of drivel to discover what sort of tech questions are involved in NETJETS selection. Anyone actually know or would anyone have a relevant page number in this thread?

PPRuNeUser0215
11th Dec 2007, 12:45
Errr if it is as much effort you are ready to put in Yinyang, I suggest you don't bother. This not just true for NJE but also if you were interested to join CX, EK, BA, GF and about a million others... Lots about all these here on Pprune and really, considering that you would be applying for a job that you want, it is a small price to pay for you to locate the good stuffs.
Just a few clicks away :rolleyes:

Edited because I have just realised... You are a troll. :ok:

Flintstone
14th Dec 2007, 00:45
Spent most of the last few days talking to some ex-OAT students and they had some very forthright views about some of the current crop of NJE cadets.

Purely in the spirit of being helpful it seems some of them might want to get their head out of their @rses before their reputation becomes set in stone.

As you were..............

Adios
14th Dec 2007, 20:52
What are they doing, showing up for class with hangovers? Is it just a few or the whole lot that needs to be tossed out? Don't bait our curiosity and just leave us hanging without all the juicy rumours and details.

Flintstone
17th Dec 2007, 20:48
It seems some at OAT feel there is a distinct caste system. Whether or not this is predicated by the students, the school or both I've no idea but they are adamant it exists.

It's like the old class system sketch from the 60's (?) with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgA4K-bnwh0 Starts at 1'15" :E

It seems some of the NJ cadets think they're John Cleese. It's worth watching right to the end for the punchline. Very profound.

OATNetjets
18th Dec 2007, 21:27
Flinstone,

I just wanted to tell everyone that you don't know what you are talking about....

Let me explain you how it works here:
There is basically one class of 24 students starting each month (with a maximum of 8 netjets guys). The training is not always easy: this is hard work and there are a number of external factors we all have to deal with (among other things we are all far away from our family). This in turn creates a very good team spirit within the class, and it does not matter whether we are netjets, thomas cook or self-sponsored: we try to help each other to make sure that we all get together through the different stages of the training.

Now you happen to know nothing about nothing, and still you do this useless post that does absolutely not reflect the friendship that goes between the cadets of each class. Sorry guy, but you are wrong!

Having said that, it is also clear that netjets cadets also do a few activities without the other guys during the training (related to the company they have signed for). I understand that it might sometimes be a bit frustrating for the others.... But so what?

Now, let the netjets cadets and their mates work quietly, and please concentrate on usefull posts about the scheme or the interviews. After all this is the only thing that matters, isn't?

daheri
28th Feb 2008, 08:46
I'm travelling down from Norway to Oxford for Stage 2 NetJets selection on March 12. Anyone else going the same date? My selection will be on the 13th and 14th.
If you guys know of any decent, nonexpensive hotell i would be happy to hear about it! Also if someone would like to meet up the 12th please let me know.

Seaton81
29th Feb 2008, 13:04
repeat applications...
does anybody know if you can re-apply, say 6 motnhs to a year later?

I didn't make the 2nd day back in December, but on reflection I can see that I went into my phase 2 pretty green... maybe due to naivety/ignorance of the standard requried. Lack of prep hit me on the maths test and it was the first time i'd used a joystick in ages (CH yolk at home)

In the post PILAPT interview, I was told to brush up on the stick/maths skills & apply for APP FO but that was it for this NJE scheme.
Whether he meant this year's or the scheme in general I don't know... anyone know for sure?

hollingworthp
29th Feb 2008, 13:22
Straight from the FAQ on the OAT site:

I applied for the OAA/NetJets programme earlier in 2007. Am I eligible to re-apply?
Previous applicants who were not invited to Stage 2 may re-apply. Applicants who were eliminated from the competition at Stage 2 or beyond are not eligible to re-apply.

Dark Side
3rd Mar 2008, 18:11
Hello All,

Am new to pprune but have got a Netjets stage 2 selection date at OAA for 10th March 2008 and was wondering if anyone else browsing the site will be attending on that date or around then?
This set of stage 2 selections begins on 5th March for 8 days.

Regards,

The Dark Side

ElSupremo
3rd Mar 2008, 20:50
I'm tempted to apply for this. However, I have one query, is A level maths and/or physics required? I've looked at the FAQs and it says a qualification in both are required (but does not specify what level of qualification).

My A-levels are AAB (Economics, Geography and ICT respectively) with an AS level C (Physics). I will also hopefully have a 'good' law degree (I'm now in my 3rd year).

What are my chances of success?

hollingworthp
4th Mar 2008, 05:11
Best place to direct that question is to OAT directly.

yannick04
9th Mar 2008, 22:55
Hey there,

just went through some posts. Just wanna say something about your concerns. I am with nje, was with an established airline before. Does not matter what you do, there might be some majors out there and with them, someday, when you get to a point, when you work part time or so you'll be able to have a better lifestile - but thats a long way, buddy...

NJE is compared to everything I did or hear about before a real nice company, talking about quality of life hard to beat. Got two kids back at home and I spend way more time with them than any of my friends even in other jobs as they most of the time leave early morning and when they come back home, their kids are almost in bed again.

With my former company I did 5/2 most of the time and if you are lucky and based in your hometown you'll end up seeing your family more than I did...

Take your time and think about all aspects - just an input from this side of the fence ;)

Cheers Y

skicross
17th Mar 2008, 17:01
HI! (Answer can give everyone, who nows something about ATPL)
Can you tell me, please, about ATPL something?
1) How cost this course and where are you learning?
2) Can I get ATPL if I don`t have any licences yet?
3) Can I get ATPL if I have PPL, if yes then is there any specifications, like minimum required flight hours, etc?

hollingworthp
17th Mar 2008, 17:43
Skicross - I presume you mean me?

Your questions are all handled on the OAA website which is the FTO used by NJE for this scheme: http://www.oxfordaviation.net/netjets/nj_info.htm

skicross
17th Mar 2008, 18:21
Yes I meanted to you.
Thanks!

skicross
17th Mar 2008, 19:35
can anybody tell me what does means ATPL frozen?
Thank you!:ok:

FruitSalad
17th Mar 2008, 19:44
A frozen ATPL is combination of both a Commerical Pilots License and Instrument Rating, in addition the holder will have taken theoretical exams at ATPL standard. A frozen ATPL is where a pilot has the above qualifications but less than 1500 hours experience, in order to become a captain and hence have an unfrozen ATPL you need to have in addition of 1500 flying hours.

richatom
17th Mar 2008, 19:52
can anybody tell me what does means ATPL frozen?

It means that you have just spent a huge amount of money on training but haven't a hope in hell of getting a job...:ugh:

skicross
17th Mar 2008, 21:17
Thank you guys for answers a lot!
One more question: Can I get combination like that PPL+ATPL course (can be in theoritical). Cause one company said that I need PPL +300 hours total flght time and ATPL. Looks like It could be that I can get ATPL after PPL..? Who nows??? Help me please...

skicross
17th Mar 2008, 21:22
And something else.>>>
Do anybody now something about Ukraina`s flight academy in Kirovogrod?
There are learning some guys from Latvia`s air force. Who nows what type of licences do they get there, is it CPL or what..?:sad:

gkyip
18th Mar 2008, 17:35
Hi all, I sent my application in on the 15th Feb and still haven't heard anything...I guess no news is good news! When should I expect to hear from them?

Gary

Furdez
22nd Mar 2008, 14:04
Hi Phil,

You seem to be the gentleman to put questions to, so if u happen to see this question and have a spare moment could you please tell me what to expect at stage 3 selection and how best to prepare myself.

thanks

BusinessMan
23rd Mar 2008, 18:40
Furdez,

I doubt you'll find anyone who'll go into much detail on it, partly because there's not a massive amount to tell but partly because you can figure the rest out for yourself so us telling you it all is unneccessary:ok:.

Format-wise (if it is still the same as a year ago) then you fly out 1 day, get taken out to dinner as a group that evening and then each have an individual interview the next day, a tour of the office, before flying home.

In my experience it was not very different to other airline stage 3s, it's NJE's chance to look at you for themselves and the interview is not unpleasant. And I say this as someone who failed the interview too ;)

Best of luck if you're called forward!

BM

Furdez
24th Mar 2008, 12:48
thanks very much for your reply, i just have one last question. is the interview technical based or hr based? thanks for your help

Mohit_C
24th Mar 2008, 20:16
Hi all,

I have a question regarding this very same topic. Suppose once I finish doing my integrated ATPL training at Málaga sometime in June/July 2009 with 170 TT, is there any cadet scheme I could join to work with Netjets?

I'm asking on here because I e-mailed them and received no response.

Thanks.

Flintstone
24th Mar 2008, 22:45
Mohit.

You can't apply for the cadet scheme as you have already started your training. You'll have to wait until you have the minimum 1500 hours now.

This was duscussed in a thread recently. 'Search' should help you.

Potential
25th Mar 2008, 18:02
is the interview technical based or hr based?

There are no technical questions asked in either of the interviews involved in the NetJets cadet selection process.

Aria-
25th Mar 2008, 18:41
I have a question regarding the 'age' issue.

I am currently studying the IB (International Baccalaureate) programme in Denmark. By the time i graduate, I will be 19 years old.

I understand that Netjets (OAA) does not take in applications based on predicted grades. This means I will probably have to take 6 - 12 months of 'free time' meaning studying aviation books, or doing something to pass time!

I fail to see how age is a determening factor in becoming a pilot. As I hope to see myself flying for Netjets in the future years, this is an issue that greatly concerns me. Surely, they review the applicants individual personality and personal skills - not their birth date?

I hope someone can 'enlighten' me.

Potential
25th Mar 2008, 23:32
NetJets seem to be more keen on people in the mid to late twenties age bracket. When I attended stage 3, there was nobody younger than 21. At the first NetJets selection, 4 of the youngest stage 3 candidates (all around 21) were deferred for a year.

Aria-
26th Mar 2008, 05:49
Potential:

Does this mean that there has never been any pilots under 20 applying to OAA for the Netjets programme, and have been accepted?

Does anybody happen to know what it is the mid-late 20 year olds have (besides more defined wrinkles ;)) That a graduated 19 year old does not have?

Potential
26th Mar 2008, 09:04
I have certainly not come across anyone under 21 going to stage 3 and I have closely watched all three of the selections since the scheme started last year. I only know of one 21 year old that has been successful, but there may be others or younger people that I don't know about.

I also know that three 22 year olds were recently accepted onto the scheme after they were deferred at the first stage 3 last year to gain some life experience. In answer to your question then, maybe it could be said that NetJets prefer individuals who have spent some time working in the real world after school & uni.

redsnail
26th Mar 2008, 11:47
Some maturity is a real requirement for this job. Life experiences post schooling (whether it be high school or uni) is essential.

You are in contact with some of the world's most influential and wealthy people. When all's well, age/maturity/lack thereof isn't too much of a problem, but when there's a problem, life experience helps you deal with it.
This isn't taught in school or flight school.

Aria-
26th Mar 2008, 16:49
As an International student, I have had more life experience than the average high school graduates that I have come across. That being said, there may be individual exceptions.

However, I hope they do not quickly reject an application because the birthday reveals an age younger than 21.

redsnail: I completely agree with you. You are in contact with the worlds most influencial and wealthy people when flying biz. No doubt about it. However, the world has its share of young influencial wealthy people. That being said, having educated young pilots is not an unreal scenario for me. Infact, very plausable - given that the individual applicant has what it takes at the same level of any 22+ applicant.

I guess there is a first time for everything - even 19 year old netjet student pilots. :)

redsnail
26th Mar 2008, 17:36
Aria-, I currently do the job you want. I know what the job entails and I have a pretty reasonable idea as to who our owners are and what they expect to see in their crew. I haven't flown with any one younger than 27.

I have only met 1 person in my 42 years that was mature beyond her years when she was 19. She already held a CPL and had already been working as a commercial pilot.

There's nothing stopping you what so ever for applying but, please don't be surprised if they (Netjets Europe) suggest you get some life experience before reapplying. I wish you well and good luck.

Adios
26th Mar 2008, 18:41
From the reading I have done, it appears that you get one shot at the NetJets cadet programme. Considering the observation written here by current cadets and even a NetJets pilot, I think it would be both arrogant and foolish for a 19 year old to apply and waste their one shot on an impetuous application. Why not prove your maturity by taking the good advice offered here and getting some life experience or even a degree if you really want to improve your odds of success?

Aria-
26th Mar 2008, 21:20
Redsnail: Was the 19 year old pilot you flew with at Netjets? That would just prove that it is possible in fact.

Adios: I have been thinking about it, and it would perhas do me a lot of good. Work a couple of years, save some money, get a degree in something - and then apply for an airline pilot training programme.

However, I have been thinking, dreaming, and breathing aviation since the day I could walk. I have research aviation schools, various airline programmes for over two years now - even though I still have to wait a whole year to graduate.

Taking 'a couple years off' would be very difficult. If it is necessary - so be it.

However, I do not think it would be nor arrogant or foolish from my side if i decide to apply. I have taken every action and step in my life with the thought of where it will end up taking me. I have aimed for aviation. I have been persistent, and determined all the way and will continue to do so.

I was just asking, if there has ever in the history of netjets been 19/20 year old successfull applicants.

redsnail
26th Mar 2008, 22:07
Aria-,

This 19 year old was in Australia, where I am originally from. As stated above, I have not flown with any one less than 27 years old. (NJE)

Previously to be considered in Netjets Europe, you needed a minimum of 1,500 hours. Since you can't get a CPL until you're 18, this means that no one worked as a pilot for Netjets Europe at age 19.
Now the Be 1900 FO requires 700 hours or so minimum.

So, at this point in time, no, no 19-20 year olds have been successful at NJE. The cadet scheme is a new thing started last year. NJE has been operating since 1996. The US parent company, even longer.

You probably would not need "a couple of years" to step away from the school mentality, 6 months working full time would probably be sufficient. The money will come in handy too. You'll need it.

As stated previously, nothing's stopping you from applying. We're just trying to offer some advice about the reality. Remember, if you fail stage 2, forget the NJE cadetship. If you still want to work for them, you'll have to get 1,500 hours min. If you haven't graduated from school, I would concentrate 110% my efforts on getting the best grades possible.

fractious 1
26th Mar 2008, 23:05
Aria,
whilst your enthusiasm is commendable, I think you should heed the wise words offered by Redsnail.

good luck

Adios
26th Mar 2008, 23:11
Aria,

I don't mean that it is arrogant to think you can become a pilot at 19. Some start at 17. I mean it is a bit cocky to think that you will be such an impressive 19 year old among all those older applicants, that NetJets will pick you for the cadet programme. Several people who have been to Stage 3 have reported in this thread what age range they saw there. I just think it's a bit dreamy to think you'll somehow fare better just because you want it badly. If you can't wait, by all means start now, but it won't likely be with NetJets on the cadet programme.

Aria-
27th Mar 2008, 22:06
I really appreciate the response from all of you - this will help me.

Is it really true that you only get one shot - and one shot only at the cadet programme for NJS?

redsnail
27th Mar 2008, 22:18
If you fail Stage 1, you can have another go.
If you fail Stage 2, that's it for Netjets Europe as a cadet.

You'll have to join as a Direct Entry pilot.

Adios
28th Mar 2008, 08:36
If you fail stage 3, that's it too, but you could then apply to other OAA cadet schemes. Same goes for stage 2 completers who don't go to NetJets stage 3.

Aria-
28th Mar 2008, 17:28
Redsnail & Adios - thank you both for the usefull response and advice. I will have to rethink my future years now.

All the best to both of you

redsnail
28th Mar 2008, 21:17
Good onya,

Firstly, go for the best grades you can. If you have language skills, highlight them too.

A degree isn't essential, that's for sure. If you're keen on the corporate world, see if you can get a job at a local FBO (Fixed base operator) or even up market hotel.
6 months of that will definitely give you an edge working with high net worth individuals.

With the FBO's job, you'll learn about what the crews need on a turnaround. Catering, fuel, aircraft servicing and the like. Also, you'll probably meet the crews who can give a "good word" to the recruiting team. Contacts are gold.

If I was in recruiting, which I am not.. if 2 guys the same age turned up looking for a job and they have the same grades, but 1 has a degree and the other has spent 3 years working in a busy FBO doing dispatch and customer service, I know who I'd be putting through to the sim check.

Adios
28th Mar 2008, 22:03
Keep in mind that NetJets is a luxury brand that provides world class customer service to high net worth people. Experience working for a premium brand, or with high net worth people, particularly in a service role will be deemed as invaluable experience. In addition to working at an FBO that services private and corporate jets, the hospitality industry comes to mind, such as 4 and 5 star hotels, high end caterers and even aviation companies such as Silverjet. I think the main point is to get relevant real world experience and not just a life of school, even if you go to top schools and get great results.

redsnail
28th Mar 2008, 22:21
djfingerscrossed,

This little bit of news is intriguing. I haven't seen any news about that at work but to be fair, I'm not in the training dept and I generally keep as far away from the office as much as possible.

As far as I know, the Oxford course is tailor made for NJE whereas the CTC course is geared towards the airline world and their requirements.

redsnail
28th Mar 2008, 22:58
djfingercrossed,

NJE only take cadets/low houred pilots from Oxford. I haven't heard of any one coming straight from CTC to NJE. The lowest hours any one can have to join NJE is ~700 hours and that's for the Be 1900.

The Netjets Oxford cadets do a course at Oxford that's been developed specifically for Netjets Europe. It isn't a straight normal Oxford course. The extra items include aerobatics and the like. There's other bits and pieces but I am not involved with that side of NJE. So for a CTC pilot to come "over" is a bit unlikely. Unless they've got a job with another operator and gained 1,500 hours. (for the jets)

I was chatting to our Director of European Operations 2 weeks ago and while he spoke happily about the Oxford pilots, there was no mention of CTC. (Nothing against CTC, my husband flies with their cadets all the time) The Oxford guys are due to start with us later this year. At the moment, I believe the final break down of line training and airport familiarisation flights hasn't been finalised.

However, Crew news is coming out soon and it might be in there....

Just remembered,

You might be thinking about TAG Aviation.

redsnail
28th Mar 2008, 23:32
We're starting to thread drift here.

Where have you got this info from, feel free to PM me.

From what I can gather, OAA won't take cadets from other institutions. What actually happens could be another story. As far as I know NJE hasn't hired any one with less than 1,500 hours for the jet fleet.

Potential
29th Mar 2008, 00:02
I've been out to Lisbon for the NetJets selection and from what I heard from Chris Randle (Director Of European Ops) its OAT all the way when it comes to low hours pilots at NetJets.

Aria-
29th Mar 2008, 10:42
My higher levels are currently Physics, Maths, and French. I speak 4 languages fluently. So language skills are fine.

Redsnail:
Do you think working in at a high-end hotel for about 1 year would do me better, or if i had an airside job at the airport for about 1 year(eg. FBO) would do me better? - In terms of relevant experience for NJS.

How about air steward? At least I would be flying!

redsnail
29th Mar 2008, 12:26
Aria-,
Remember, I am just a line pilot, not a recruiter for NJE, so it's only my opinion.

These are the choices you put in front.

First choice would be a working for an FBO. You're in the aviation environment already. Not only would you be working with crews but also owners and other high net worth people. So you'll gain an appreciation for how that side works. (flight packages, filing flight plans, wx and notams etc, cleaning, restocking, maintenance, fuel, transport and meeting pax).

Second choice. High class hotel. Front of house sort of stuff so you get to meet and greet people and help to solve issues that crop up. If possible, silver service.

Third choice (and it is dependent on a few things). Flight Attendant. Now, absolutely nothing wrong with being an FA but, to get the sort of experience that is required you have usually been a FA for a few years. Namely, working business class or first class. To become a FA on a bizjet you've already got several years of business/first class experience in an airline and or silver service experience in a hotel or high end corporate catering.

With this job, the flying's (mostly) the easy part. It's what happens on the ground that takes time to learn. :ooh:

Aria-
29th Mar 2008, 14:12
I already have 3 years of customer service experience - but that is mostly related to sales. I should perhaps consider finding a job within the aviation industry.

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate your help. If you need anything from Denmark i would gladly assist. Merely PM me.

redsnail
29th Mar 2008, 14:22
It's a good start and will look good on the cv. Now perhaps (after finishing your education with good grades :D ) shift the focus onto aviation/high net worth people.

Umm "Gentlemen", you must have missed my husband flies with their cadets :}
Attention to detail is so important. :ok: (Don't worry, I occasionally fail to read the full catering order on the Blackberry)

Good luck, it's a great job.

Aria-
29th Mar 2008, 16:35
I couldn't stop myself from laughing for a minute there!
LADIES then - thank you.

Adios
29th Mar 2008, 22:02
Redsnail,

That's not very PC of you in the 21st century. You must broaden your concept of inclusive language. You never know when names like Sir EJ and DF might show up on your Blackberry!

redsnail
29th Mar 2008, 22:25
It's ok, we get other info that gives the game away no matter what they're wearing... :ok: That I never miss. :}

hollingworthp
30th Mar 2008, 00:47
There is NO way currently that a low-hours CTC guy can go direct to NJE as the minimum hours is 700 for the beech and 1500 for the rest.

In addition to the tailored OAT/NJE course, the NJE Cadet Programme Manager delivers a number of training modules direct to the cadets throughout their training with OAT. Also Chris Randle is pretty direct on his opinions on the OAT/NJE relationship so unless someone at CTC is bypassing the European Operations Director then someone is spinning you a yarn.

The ONLY way that someone will go there from anywhere else is to have built the hours and moved across as an experienced pilot.

hollingworthp
30th Mar 2008, 07:40
LOL

;)

:ok:

fredduciel
31st Mar 2008, 18:09
Hi everybody !
am new on PPRune , nice Forum , I applied online for the netjets cadet program and I would like to know if somebody have a rumour about the next Stage2 interviews. For the moment I can't find this information maybe I'm blind I don't know !
Thanks a lot if you have an idea and if you too have applied on line on early march and still without answear!
have a nice day all !
Fred.

hollingworthp
31st Mar 2008, 20:47
Hi Fred

There is plenty of information on here if you dig around for it.

You may also be interested in http://forum.aeronet-fr.org/ which is a french aviation forum where the scheme is also discussed in detail.

Bon Chance!

Phil.

fredduciel
1st Apr 2008, 15:52
thank you hollingworthp , I've been to aeronet , that's right they have also like PPRune a lot of information but not the piece I'm looking for ! I continue searching , have a nice day ,
Fred.

Adios
18th Apr 2008, 17:18
There is much info on OAAs own forum.

Delta Golf Mike
18th Apr 2008, 19:43
Hi there Wee Man,

What dates are you going over?

DGM

equinox_code
25th Apr 2008, 14:25
apologies if this's been asked before (perhaps even by me)

a friend of mine's a qualified pilot. he's told me that netjets is open to everyone, regardless of your financial situation and that they will help you to obtain the full, unsecured loan to pay for your training should you pass selection.

is this true? i'd previously been led to believe that the loan must be secured.

Alann
25th Apr 2008, 14:54
Hi Equinox code!

If you're speaking about the agreement between OAA and HSBC, yes you have to secure the loan with your (or somebody's) house.

Alann

equinox_code
25th Apr 2008, 15:06
cheers,

any of you lot got a spare house? i'll repay you in friendship.

hollingworthp
25th Apr 2008, 16:15
Hi Equinox

Absolute fiction I'm afraid. NJE provide 0% financial help towards the training until you start work. There is a tax break for UK based pilots once you start work and more detail can be found on the OAA site (don't have the exact link to hand).

If you require a loan (and most people probably will - it ain't cheap!) then you will have to approach HSBC or your own bank in the usual way. The only concession is that HSBC will raise their usual loan limit of 50k to 60k (if memory serves) as you have a conditional job offer on commencement of training.

Hope that helps.

Phil.

zapoi67
30th May 2008, 00:29
Hi all !

I'm 41 y.o., hold a MSc in Physics, 4 languages and no "engine" flight experience (just 45 hrs on gliders)...
Do I have a chance to be successful with the cadets' NJE/OAT recruitment ?
:O

hollingworthp
30th May 2008, 00:47
You won't be turned down based on your age so that is not a barrier to applying. In fact, age probably goes in your favour to some degree given the owner-facing nature of the role.

NicktheNorse
27th Aug 2008, 13:49
Thread seems to have gotten a little bit quiet!

I've got my Stage 2 for the NJ scheme at OAA coming up in October. Anyone else going?

Okavango
27th Aug 2008, 14:39
Just about to fill in the stage 1 application. Some of the fields request entries of 500 characters or less - does this not mean 500 words? Thanks.

Sabre1987
27th Aug 2008, 15:43
no it means 500 letters/numbers/etc if you do it in MSWord then go to Tools|Word count; it should tell you how many caracters you have used.:8

jonty797
27th Aug 2008, 20:27
I'm also through to Stage 2, just waiting to hear details back from Oxford. Time to brush up on the Maths and Physics again!!

GigaNu
28th Aug 2008, 01:04
Can I ask what program you guys are talking about?

Thanks

redsnail
28th Aug 2008, 04:01
NetJets Europe cadet scheme run by Oxford Aviation.

ronnie1974
28th Aug 2008, 07:39
I'm there in October!

GigaNu
28th Aug 2008, 09:46
Ok, Sorry for all the stupid questions, what requirements are there for you to join the scheme or to apply to it?

Thanks

karlburgess
28th Aug 2008, 11:42
Hey guys I'm through to stage 2. Whoop Whoop!! 1st week of October

hollingworthp
28th Aug 2008, 12:05
GigaNu - visit OAA's site: Oxford Aviation Academy (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/) for full details.

GigaNu
28th Aug 2008, 13:46
Thanks for the info guys, I have sent my application, I guess it could be a while before I hear anything back

dreamliner81
28th Aug 2008, 16:54
I passed phase 2 already in July when I was in Oxford so now waiting till the end of October to know who goes through to phase 3!

Good luck!

Boeing100
29th Aug 2008, 10:03
I'm attending Stage 2 in october as well :)
Anyone found some interesting websites to train on the COMPASS test? the ones i found only have the answers but no explanations...

stewpot007
29th Aug 2008, 11:13
Submitted my application at the end of April 08, still waiting for a reponse.
When did you send yours off...is this normal.

S

karlburgess
29th Aug 2008, 11:22
I had sent my application around the start of July. It might be worth giving them a call stewpot007

Okavango
2nd Sep 2008, 10:58
Has anyone had problems submitting the form? I keep getting error messages.

GigaNu
11th Sep 2008, 17:13
Hi Guys,

I sent my application a few weeks, when do you think I should expect a reply if successful?

Thanks

Yahweh1199
11th Sep 2008, 17:57
What hardware are cadets most likely to start on? Or does it depend on your base?

hollingworthp
11th Sep 2008, 19:31
Hawker 400 / 800, Cessna Bravo / Excel

No RYR for me
11th Sep 2008, 20:16
What hardware are cadets most likely to start on? Or does it depend on your base? Better learn more about the operation before you go to the interview: NetJets has no bases but gateways. Just read the website! :\

globaljet
16th Sep 2008, 23:43
I'm also attending stage 2 in October. How are you guys preparing yourselves for the assessment??

lena_06
18th Sep 2008, 13:58
Attending Stage 2 on october as well :)
See you soon!

Tommy_uk
19th Sep 2008, 21:25
Anyone have any ideas what the assessment involves and when application will be re-open? Been reading up on this, sounds highly promising! Not too sure about the £195 for the assessments though, is this the same for everybody?

NicktheNorse
22nd Sep 2008, 12:50
Yes its the same for everyone.

Next application process will be Q1 2009 I'd say.

sx_stavros
30th Sep 2008, 11:07
Hello boys and girls,

I ve been invited for the stage 2 assessment on 14 and 15 October. Anyone having the same dates? Plz post reply or private message.

Any tips on what should I expect at stage 2 or any kind of preparation would be more than welcome!

Cheers and gd luck to all!:D

1800ed
30th Sep 2008, 23:39
Tommy uk: I e-mailed Mike Griffith a few weeks back asking when the next applications would be accepted. This is what he said:

Dear Edward,

The Next Stage 2 for NetJets is too early for you. It will be during October and
selecting cadets for Spring 2009. Within the next month or so, we will post an
application closing deate for the October Stage 2. The application will then be
removed from our website on thnat closing date.

We are abandoning the rolling application that we used this year, in favour of
shorter application periods designed to fill specific vacancies. The vacant course
dates will be announced each time the application is re-opened. You will need to
keep an eye on our website for announcements and check the dates to know when to
apply. The course that would most likely suit you would be October 2009 and I
estimate that we will need to recruit for that course around May 2009.

Mike

Ivor_Novello
1st Oct 2008, 17:31
We regret that we have been advised by NetJets Europe (NJE) that the current market instability, and in particular the uncertain impact it is having on all airlines, means that NJE believe it would be imprudent to go ahead with the cadet selection programme scheduled to begin next week. Consequently, NJE have requested OAA to cancel the selection arrangements.

NJE have stressed that their plans for continued growth remain in place, but the company nevertheless considers it sensible to limit short term recruitment commitments pending the restoration of market stability. Thus, whilst NetJets remains firmly committed to the successful ab-initio cadet programme entered into with Oxford Aviation Academy (OAA) in 2006, it has taken the decision to temporarily suspend new cadet selection and therefore not to run the Stage 2 selection process planned for next week.

Self Explanatory

shaun.s
1st Oct 2008, 17:45
Just received the same email, what's everyone planning on doing?

Andy120
1st Oct 2008, 19:38
Got the same email and it's not the first time this year. Thinking of going modulated instead of integrated now..

globaljet
2nd Oct 2008, 08:21
Got the same mail. I think I will go to Oxford though, just to see how it is like there. Otherwise I will just party these 3-4 days in England and have some fun... I cannot refund my flight ticket to London anyway........ :ugh:

NicktheNorse
2nd Oct 2008, 11:27
After thinking about it I'm going to go to the regular non-NJ assessment (which, after confirming with OAA, will be free) in place of my Stage 2.

Assuming I pass, the results will be valid for the next 12 months - and I would not go on to do the course without some sort of airline scheme behind me. If/when the NJ scheme re-opens I'll be able to re-apply and then be considered directly for Stage 3.

Okavango
9th Oct 2008, 19:36
Is this sheme going ahead or not?? I've received a mail from admin staff that seems to suggest the selection scheme is still in progress. I must say that OAA's handling of the whole system from my experience has been nothing short of shambolic.

NicktheNorse
10th Oct 2008, 06:48
The scheme still exists, but it is still on "temporary" hold.

Their handling has been very good for me. I think you'll find the email you were sent is with regard to the APPFO selection process which presumable you have been transferred over to from the now defunct NJ Stage 2.