PDA

View Full Version : retirement

Johnman
19th Nov 2007, 13:04
I would like to know from pilots , how does feel when they retire?(problems,solutions and real life experiences that we all can benifit from).

411A
19th Nov 2007, 15:45
Tried it once, didn't like it, so went back to work.
Retirement, very much over-rated.
I have the advantage of having my own private aeroplane, so eventual retirement will not be totally cold turkey....I hope.:uhoh:

Rainboe
19th Nov 2007, 16:50
Tried it. Sucked. Went back to work. Enjoy. Who wants to retire? If you enjoy your job...why? How did you do that job for 35 years if you didn't like it? I have nightmares about being made to walk through wet grass getting hayfever- all to knock some stupid overpriced rubber ball about with stupid overpriced steel bats into some stupid holes that are stupidly small. Do people really enjoy that and look forward to that in retirement? And sailing- 3 hours, very nice, thankyou, can I go home and have a nice hot shower now please (and not see a boat for a week please)? That's retirement? What else beats being given a lovely Boeing and having a blast around Europe, with a cabin full of gorgeous Swedish stewardesses?

I am getting a share in an aeroplane so hopefully I need never be without, but far more fun to blast off in a jet (and get paid for it). Some of my pals enjoy it. I found it impossible, after a lifetime swotting at school, flying college, then swotting on all the different aeroplanes and struggling through simulator checks, to suddenly enter this regime of........nothing. Nothing to work for, nothing to revise for, no exams to get het up about....nothing.....blank....zero. I thought I was going crazy. I'm a workaholic, and will be until I keel over. Not ready to be 80 yet!

411A
19th Nov 2007, 17:34
You should try the management end, Rainboe, very satisfying...you get to tell the 'not yet dry behind the ears F/O's who think they know everything'
COOL IT, least you're on the don't come Monday list.

Gets their attention, darn quick, and many develop into that laid back (but totally professional) type of guy (or gal) that will be appreciated at the pointy end.

And, strangely enough, the guys who have come from large carriers in the past, always seem to get the ship home.
What an absolute surprise...:rolleyes:

BelArgUSA
20th Nov 2007, 09:08
Mixed feelings for me...
xxx
I know I will hate it, but, I was "retired" many times in the past 5 years...
xxx
First it sounded like retirement that would follow a furlough. In Argentina 2001/2002 period, country bankrupt, devaluation of Arg. Peso to 1/3 of its former value, airline near bankruptcy, half the fleet of 747-200s parked, and me, as training manager "off seniority list", I saw the writing on the wall. I took a voluntary furlough (I was 57, retirement then 60) and went as chief pilot along with one of our 747 leased-out to a Carribean carrier... But the events of 9/11 precipitated the end of that little charter one-plane airline.
xxx
Retirement again... for a few months... then called back by my airline about selection of 747-300s or 747-400s, I fought for selection of the 300s, as I was qualified on 300s, not 400s... and against 2 pilot crews, no F/E... The airline rule is "no new type rating" after age 55, as you do not teach old dogs new tricks. I lost, but kept me part-time to instruct classroom, simulator and give line-checks. Stayed current.
xxx
Then my young wife decided to ram her Mini Cooper "S" against a big tree at 170 kph... leaving me alone with our 2 kids, a boy and a girl, young age. No need to say, I was destroyed, and suspended from flying. Since I was 59, still with a 60 age limit then, I knew it would be retirement.
xxx
A few month later, now over 60 age, I hear Air Atlanta is hiring 747 pilots over age 60. They took me. Had to go through complete training (for JAR licencing) which was fine, except getting a hernia in "wet ditching training" in a pool in Gatwick. Medical denied. Surgery. Then 3 months of b/s for medical recertification, and Air Atlanta denied my paid medical leave. I left them, to be hired as chief pilot for an Argentina "one 747 operation" (Southern Winds), organized training, flew for awhile, as Argentina had changed pilot retirement age to 65... But Southern Winds stopped operating. Retirement again...? No.
xxx
My airline having selected 747-400s, the fleet of 747-200s went down from 5, to 4 to 3, and now 2 airplanes remaining on which I was qualified. They called me back, again as manager traiing, some line flying and desk flying. So active again somewhat, my 64th birthday is this week, so I have 1 year left to fly, unless the 2 747-200s remaining are finally parked.
xxx
I dont think I want to fly a desk (only) after 65... I have a lovely little beach house in Brazil, where I go often, and sample beer on the beach, or wine on the balcony, from where I insult everyone in the Pprune forum... A friend of mine has a little Super Cub there, towing banners above the beaches in summer, and has asked me to become his partner. Now need to get a Brazil CPL to eventually do that.
xxx
Financially, I will barely make it, meager USA "social security" from the PanAm days, a small Argentina retirement, by chance cost of living is decent in Brazil so I could always make a few bucks flying that Cub, or maybe teaching languages in schools or private lessons, or play piano in a beach bar. And I think I want to publish a book, about what my career as pilot was, lie about all the things I never did, and disclose all the flying violations that would probably cost me a retroactive suspension of all my licences...
xxx
I know I will travel a lot (enjoying free passes) but really "retiring"... NO - All the guys I know who retired for doing nothing, died after a couple of years. I still would like to be given a 10 years lease of life, to see my son maybe as a pilot, and my daughter as a tango dancer or choreograph...
xxx
Keep busy, Rainboe and 411A - and you other guys who retire soon...
Who could I trust up front when I will be on seat 53-F...?
xxx
:)
Happy contrails