PDA

View Full Version : Cars At Airfields.

HeliCraig
19th Nov 2007, 09:16
Folks,

I have had an idea (some of you may have heard my mind actually click :)); and would welcome some thought / feedback. Anyone nicking my idea will owe me a pint!

It has often occurred to me that once you arrive at an Airfield the problem presented is that you are somewhat stuck there unless you have a friend there to take you into town / where you actually want to go. So unless you actually want to go the airfield, own shares in a taxi firm, or have flown into an airport with car hire on site you are a bit adrift.

What if there was a "club" of some form which you could join and at some of the busier GA airfields it based a pool car which could be used by visiting club members? Something basic like a Corsa / Fiesta type car... at least it would allow you to get into town etc!

Setting aside the various technical aspects (insurance, who has keys, vehicle state etc); do the rest of you think there would be much call for this sort of service? Would you use it? How much would you pay for it? Does anyone know of anything similar?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

HC.

xrayalpha
19th Nov 2007, 10:00
Hi,

What you want is something like www.whizzgo.co.uk (http://www.whizzgo.co.uk)

Yes, this is a serious problem at UK airfields - with some microlights costing upwards of 50,000 quid it seems ridiculous that you then arrive at a field in the middle of nowhere. Even more of pain in your six figure Cirrus!

At Strathaven - following my experiences in the US where a courtesy car was available at all airfields (from a brand new Fiesta size paid for by the local council to a massive 1970s gaz guzzler provided by the FBO operator) - we have an old car available for anyone to borrow, as long as their insurance covers them 3rd party for a car not owned by them.

The value of the car itself - about to be my wife's ex Rover 600, electric windows no longer working - is just above scrap value so if anyone prangs it, it is not a disaster.

It is not hire, it is just borrowing. If you want to put something in the coffee jar do, if not, don't.

Have been trying to persuade the local council of the tourisim and environmental benefits of having an electric car at the airfield - the largest onshore wind farm in Europe is going up just three miles away and as part of the deal they are meant to be funding community projects.

Getting them to underwrite a whizzgo car might actually be easier. Will maybe try that.

Might be the route for others to follow too. If the council - or other funding body, such as local enterprise companies, charities etc - would fund a whizzgo for a year, then we would see if there was an uptake. If there was, then the whizzgo people would keep it on site with no guaranteed useage. If only a limited uptake, then the whizzgo people would suggest how much subsidy would need to be given.

That's my thought.

scooter boy
19th Nov 2007, 10:01
Hi HC,
This is theoretically a great idea.
Occasionally after landing at smaller airports in the US I have been given a car to "run into town" totally free of charge. Just bring it back later... etc...

I have 2 Di Blasi folding mopeds (hence "Scooter" Boy) but am fed up with their lack of reliability. They also stink of fuel (even if you carry them with all the fuel drained out) and are very heavy for 1 person to lift into the aircraft so am probably going to get a couple of Bromptons instead.
These are the very best folding pushbikes in the world without question and should ease my transit from airfield to tube etc...

Hopefully Santa will oblige...

SB (soon to be Brompton Boy)

HeliCraig
19th Nov 2007, 10:54
Thanks for the link xrayalpha - I knew of the WizzGo scheme but could not remember the exact name, remember hearing about it on Radio 4 some time back!

I like your idea of having a "banger" about, and insuring it yourself. Not a bad plan - might throw that in for some thought. Does anyone else's club / field do a similar thing?

Scooter Boy - I once got a "taxi" where the chap came on one of those things and put it in my boot. Drove me home in my car, and then buggered off. Very handy for the morning when the beer has worn off and your car is on the drive!!!

The more feedback the better - thanks folks.

ericferret
19th Nov 2007, 10:58
We fly into a private site fairly regularly and have placed an old car there for several years now. Only issue is MOT every year which is a pain to organise at a distance.

We recently had someone do a similar thing at our home airfield to visit a sick relative.

Insurance would be the main worry of allowing a general use car. It's a good idea but making it work could turn into a burden.

I think it would actually be easier at smaller strips, where there would be less demand and pressure on its use.

gcolyer
19th Nov 2007, 12:43
Just get a cab!

The cost fo the vehicle is only going to add to the club membership, the admin will be a nightmare.

Leaving a vehicle at the airfields that you commonly use is an OK idea if you dont mind the MOT/Vandal/flat battery/caked in bird **** issues.

david viewing
19th Nov 2007, 13:44
Regarding courtesy cars in the US, it's important to remember if you are a foreign visitor that you almost certainly are not insured.
Problem is, the grizzly old FBO guy will certainly assure that the car is insured. It may be, but unfortunately he doesn't appreciate that because you don't have US auto insurance on your own car, you are not! So if something happens, the car may be covered but any 3rd party issues will be yours alone.
The only way to fix this that I know of is an American Express travel policy that covers rental cars in the US. I've tried extensively to get UK cover extended to the US but UK insurers won't go near it. If someone knows better, please advise.
I've used these cars (a wonderful system) extensively at my own risk but my view on insurance after 30 years of unblemished driving in the US changed somewhat when I had a mishap in one of Mr Hertz's finest (and totally insured) rentals. It can happen to you!

niknak
19th Nov 2007, 13:58
In the UK, our dear insurance industry are inventing more and more excuses to charge more, restrict privileges and pay out less.

Unfortunately, many policies now, and near all from 2010, will preclude the current 3rd party arrangement to allow you to drive a car not owned by you.
Special arrangements will be made for the motor trade and for test driving prior to purchase of a privately owned vehicle, but as I understand it, the latter entails you informing your insurance company of the test drivers driving licence and current insurance details prior to the test drive.

Major Major
19th Nov 2007, 15:30
It's a great idea (in fact all of the above are) as it's been bugging me for some time, even as a stude. I don't really like the idea of getting a PPL to fly around the country under my own steam but still be reliant on friends to pick me up from their local strip.

Surely the main winners are the airfield operators? If you knew that you could fly into field A or B, but that B had an ickle car to get around in you'd go for B every time. The airfield operator would have the keys and it could be part of the PPR chat.

The electric car idea is great as there are less overheads (no road tax, no petrol) but there are a few gotchas - where and how to charge it, how often users are likely to run out of juice because they're just not used to it - that make me think that again an airfield operator would be most likely to make it work (or make it fail if it's not their idea).

Oldpilot55
19th Nov 2007, 16:12
The courtesy car thing is almosr essential in the States due to distance, unreliability of taxi companies and general lack of taxis. You are expected to top up the fuel, but at $3 a wee gallon that's not a great hardship. The lack of insurance is a significant worry. There can be few places int he UK which don't have taxi services, albeit at a price.

Jerico
19th Nov 2007, 16:46
If there is a market at a particular airfield then you might find www.streetcar.co.uk are interested

stickandrudderman
19th Nov 2007, 19:24
I own a small garage, and keep an old Toyota Starlet, for which I paid £900, as a customer loan car.
Anyone who wants to use the car whilst we service theirs' can do so free of charge, but I get then to sign a form to say that they are accepting ALL risks, including the matter of insurance, and that the car will be returned, as supplied, with a full tank of fuel.

Some people take it upon themselves to speak to their insurance company to ensure they're covered, and sometimes a small fee is charged, but most times people just sign away and off they go.

I don't see why an airfield owner couldn't do the same.