PDA

View Full Version : Cessna crashes in Northern Ireland

Flying Microphone
17th Nov 2007, 12:07
BBC here reporting this today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7098909.stm

No other details yet. Here's hoping both people onboard make a speedy recovery.

Fuji Abound
17th Nov 2007, 12:43
I know the press knooow nothing, and it is not my style to speculate about what happened:

However IF the engine stopped, it just beggars belief whether or not the pilot is some sort of sky God with as many hours (as is implied), how those hours would have enabled him to rewrite the laws of physics. :confused:

One engine, it stops, and one thing is certain .. .. ..

dsandson
17th Nov 2007, 12:51
Heard this on the radio yesterday. Never good to hear of a crash, especially so close to home, but I'm glad those injured aren't too bad. Also glad it wasnt anyone from my club at Newtownards.

Found from another forum it was a Kolb Twinstar G-BYTA. Must have been based at the private grass strip down by Kilkeel.

Have flown over Kilkeel once... lots of small fields bounded in by traditional stone-walling... not great options if the engine goes.

airborne_artist
17th Nov 2007, 13:04
Councillor Henry Riley said it was a mystery as to why the aircraft had crashed. "The weather conditions were fine, there was absolutely no wind."

And as we are all taught the first day, wind is the real danger when flying.

Councillor Riley should learn to keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's politicians for you...

Commanche 260
17th Nov 2007, 13:23
I know both of the men that were in this aircraft, and one of them i fly with requarly. I found out about this accident when i came home from school yesterday and was very relieved to know that they were ok.
It happened only a few fields from my house and it was a Kolb Twinstar microlight. It was very unfortunate and a credit to the pilot to get himself and passenger down safely.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Nov 2007, 18:21
Councillor Riley should learn to keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's politicians for you...
Possibly. Alternatively, that's local newspapers for you.

As a councillor I get phoned up by the local paper from time to time.

When I know something about it I give a reasonable answer and then wait in fear and trepidation to find out how the press has mangled what I've said - thats one possible explanation.

When I know nothing about it I tell them sorry mate, I don't know anything about this, why don't you call Cllr So-and-so instead ... and still wait in fear and trepidation to find out whether they've printed any garbage and assigned it to me (being less work than actually bothering to make the second phone call). That's another possible explanation.

Of course, local newspapers - and local residents!! - unreasonably expect their councillors to be expert on absolutely everything whether or not it has the remotest connection to the business of the council ... and of course they're actually expert on nothing at all (except for their day job) - they are part time amateur volunteers whose only qualification for being a councillor is that they got one more vote than the other guy.

Rod1
17th Nov 2007, 19:02
One engine, it stops, and one thing is certain .. .. ..

What’s that then? If you are suggesting that the only way is down you would be wrong. Some of the micros thermal very well indeed.

Rod1

jonkil
17th Nov 2007, 19:08
The pilot in question is a well respected and an extremely able aviator.
As someone stated on an earlier post the area concerned has numerous small stone walled fields and the fact that he got it down and lived to tell the tale is testament in itself. He flies from a well known, well maintained grass strip that is a very welcoming place to go and a joy to visit... pray all is well and known the man in question I have no doubt that he will soon fly again.

Jon

rosti
17th Nov 2007, 19:26
Or have rocket activated rescue parachutes...

Fuji Abound
17th Nov 2007, 19:37
What’s that then? If you are suggesting that the only way is down you would be wrong. Some of the micros thermal very well indeed.

Not well enough - I can guarantee you gravity will win. :)