PDA

View Full Version : LOOP trash mag....and Bob Davy in particular

SFCC
16th Nov 2007, 19:55
Just who is this jumped up, opinionated f**ckwitt?:*

Anybody who starts a paragraph with " I've flown more than 'xyz' different types...." deserves all they get.

Thankfully it isn't too shiny to wipe my arse with.

Legalapproach
16th Nov 2007, 20:56
I've flown more than 39 different types and a Google search suggests that Bob Davey is

http://www.saintmaryschurch.org.uk/contactpage13.htm

But it might not be the same bloke:ok:

Whirlygig
16th Nov 2007, 20:59
North Pickenham? Just darn the road from me! Shall I pop in and have a word?

Cheers

Whirls

Foxy Loxy
16th Nov 2007, 21:06
Whirls,

Not the same chap, my dear. I know the "real" Bob Davy.

Foxy

eharding
16th Nov 2007, 21:16
From which we can assume SFCC is a part owner of a Soko?

:E

Whirlygig
16th Nov 2007, 21:20
I know Foxy! Perhaps you'd better tip the wink to the real one!

Cheers

Whirls

Foxy Loxy
16th Nov 2007, 21:27
I will if I see him Whirls!

I really should see the "offending" article before I comment further though. Just wanna see if it squares with the person I know, that's all. Can anyone offer a link?

Foxy

wsmempson
16th Nov 2007, 21:32
There is a chap called bob davey who hangs out at WLAC at white waltham - same chap, perchance?

eharding
16th Nov 2007, 21:35
www.loop.aero

Lots of registration mumbo jumbo to go through before you can read the (rather natty) online version.

To summarise: Bobster likes the Hawk, the Chang and the Yak-52TD. Hates the Shorts 360, Chevvron and the Soko. I have to admit I was there in the bar at WW when he was writing the bit about the Chevvron, and thought he was making up how much of a swamp donkey the thing was - until he found a picture to show me. Bang to rights. Its a pig.

funflier44
16th Nov 2007, 21:41
I notice a Bob Davy has a "Buyer's guide" in Pilot mag of Oct 07.

eharding
16th Nov 2007, 22:51
...but it provoked a bit of a reaction, I gather. That's journalism....; Bob has tried to kill me on one occasion - by recommending the oysters at a place in in the Hebrides on a Yak tour; the resulting bout of food poisoning very nearly did for me.

Still, he writes for an aviation publication - thank Christ he's not a food journalist, eh?

Edited: Either my Alzheimer's is playing up again...or there was a post that I replied to...which isn't there any more....

Flash0710
16th Nov 2007, 23:36
sfcc... The man has flown many types with me alone i reckon more than 20..... and very well...... spill the beans on your accomplishments please so we may equally be in awe of you......

Has he boffed your wife or something????

before me????

luv

xxx

f

eharding
17th Nov 2007, 00:19
Has he boffed your wife or something????

Ohhh - don't. Just don't. It'll only make BD write a 'Best Three...Worst Three Boffs' article. I'd hate to see what happens then.

Whirlybird
17th Nov 2007, 06:00
Haven't had time to read the article in question, but don't knock a FREE aviation mag. :ok:

Them thar hills
17th Nov 2007, 06:16
Whirl, free mag maybe. I'd prefer to keep the trees it was made from.
Or if it was made from re-cycled VP1's that's nearly OK ?!!?
Joking only, plenty of pilots have sampled VP's and been thankful for the experience whether for fun or hour building. ;)

wsmempson
17th Nov 2007, 07:52
Quote "Haven't had time to read the article in question, but don't knock a FREE aviation mag. "

Hmmm. The rag may be ok, but they have the most aggressive and stupid classified sales department in christendom. I advertised (AND QUICKLY SOLD) a PA28 140 in a rival publication and was then badgered to advertise with LOOP!, on a weekly basis, for the next six months, by a guy called Andy Wool - who wouldn't go away - even though I repeatedly told him that the a/c was sold.

After begging, pleading and trying to reason with him that I didn't need their help as I had sold my cherokee, I only finally shook him off by telling him that I was going to have some cards printed with his mobile number, to be placed around 'phone boxes in Kings Cross, pointing out what a "big" chap he was.

I haven't heard from them since, but wouldn't use them on principle.:yuk:

Ex Oggie
17th Nov 2007, 16:18
Loop does have an interesting section on Clubs, Flyins and achievments etc. However, they all seem to be from the same schools. Nothing that has been submitted from our club has ever been published. I wonder if it's connected to the fact that we told them where to go when they came round rattling the donations tin?

Me?, sceptical? nahhh......... :}

Human Factor
17th Nov 2007, 17:49
I think it's reasonable to assume that BD has flown enough types in his time to be able to write an article like this with reasonable authority. You're not forced to agree with him. At the end of the day, it's his opinion and yours is perfectly entitled to be different.

My own faves in order: Yak-52, 777, Super Cub. Least faves: C152, PA-38, GA-7. Having said that, if I ever get the opportunity to see a Chevvron, I'll do the decent thing and put a match to it.:E

I notice a Bob Davy has a "Buyer's guide" in Pilot mag of Oct 07.

He's a nice enough chap but I'd rather buy the Extra.;)

SFCC
17th Nov 2007, 19:57
So has our esteemed contributor flown a Hawk, or simply flown IN one?
Interesting to read that the Hawks' g- suit inflates faster than that in the JP.....as I've yet to find a JP equipped as such.
Shorts 360.....fantastic learning ground for new airline pilots to learn their chosen path....amazing machine in stonking crosswinds, why does this fellow have to discredit the aeroplane and be glad that many are being broken up?
Sensationalist crap aimed at the uninformed masses as far as I'm concerned.

Human Factor
17th Nov 2007, 20:23
He's ex RAF fast-jet and currently flies airliners.

aztruck
17th Nov 2007, 20:53
You tell em SFCC! Now we are all dying to know how you would rearrange the pecking order or even come up with your own list of swans/turkeys.
Loop only pay Chicken feed but its enough for Bob to feather his prop...er nest... while the feathers fly. He never mentioned giving anyone the bird but you seem to have beakome a tad aereated, so might I suggest a session with the Thunderscreech(now extinct) until humour formates with brain.
Who did buy the K bird anyway? Or was it.......the OTHER owner........?

IO540
17th Nov 2007, 21:03
LOOP lasts me 10 minutes.

None of the ~ £3.50 UK mags last me longer than that.

So, LOOP is excellent value for money :)

scooter boy
18th Nov 2007, 09:12
What bothers me the most about these publications is the unbelievable bias that is shown to aviation manufacturers who take out the largest advert. i:e coverage of their product in column inches is directly proportional to what they have spent on advertising.

Has anyone else noticed this correlation?

The accuracy of articles in Loop is also a bit lacking - (e:g the "race from Cambridge to Cannes" article when they took a cirrus and diamond down to Cannes apparently not requiring an arrival slot (during the Film festival) and using the "ILS" to land at Cannes!
Well the failure to book an arrival slot during the film festival when the special AIP is in place could result in a 7000 euro fine from DGAC and there is no ILS at Cannes Mandelieu - c'mon boys, get your facts right! I would say generally that their copy is written imprecisely but with enthusiasm.

Not knocking it though 'cos it is free!

SB

Sleeve Wing
18th Nov 2007, 10:45
Quote :
> 'What bothers me the most about these publications is the unbelievable bias that is shown to aviation manufacturers who take out the largest advert.' <

Let's face it, scooter boy, there's the rub. They are free to us, supported by aviation-related manufacturers and who therefore warrant a little preference .
I gloss over most of that stuff and read what I then find interesting. I do find other peoples' contributions interesting, particularly their differing opinions. I like listening to other people and then I too can form my own opinion.

BD has opinions and he's entitled to them. That doesn't stop me reading them. I don't have to agree.
He actually asked me what my 'faves' were when he was producing that article (and I've flown a few too) and I'm sure that he had a word with a number of others before he decided on the final format.
I know he can be a bit opinionated but nevertheless he constructs a good article. That's what journalism is. Being controversial is what it's about.

I raise three final points :-

SFCC. The Soko K. is a dog.

sc. There is sometimes a need to fly an ILS into Cannes. - Nice ILS to a break off.

Oh, and serves you right with the oysters, eharding. You know the seas surrounding Mull are contaminated with dripping Yak engine oil ! You should have stuck to your usual beefburgers !

Rgds, Sleeve. :ok: ;)

Life's a Beech
18th Nov 2007, 12:32
Scooter Boy

There is an ILS at Cannes! I have shot it. Often it is to a circling approach as there is only one, and it is to the northerly runway due to terrain. I landed on the southerly runway (can't remember the designation).

Fuji Abound
18th Nov 2007, 13:12
Things that are free:

the air above us to enjoy,

the mountains and the coutry side,

plastic bags in Sainsbury, (but perhaps not for a lot longer)

advice on PPRuNe,

as you will see, free things are either very very good, or very very bad.

You just have to make up your mind which is which.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
18th Nov 2007, 13:49
Loop - published by the editorial team who took a good magazine (Pilot) and did their 'magic' with it... Need I say more?:rolleyes:

scooter boy
18th Nov 2007, 14:31
"There is an ILS at Cannes!"

Oh no there isn't an ILS at Cannes!
There is a LOC/DME to 35 which will often lead to a break off for 17 but NO ILS.

SB

Life's a Beech
18th Nov 2007, 16:26
Only been there once, and have been to quite a few European fields so could be mistaken, but http://worldaerodata.com/ agrees with me.

S-Works
18th Nov 2007, 17:50
Cannes does not have an ILS it has a LOC/DME approach. I have been in a couple of times of the last couple of months.

It is a circling approach with an MDA of 1180ft.

On the original subject I really can't see what is so bad about the article or his writing style.

SFCC
18th Nov 2007, 17:58
So the chap in question is ex-RAF fast Jet is he?

Are you sure?:}

Human Factor
18th Nov 2007, 18:03
'fraid so. :ugh:

SFCC
18th Nov 2007, 18:10
Go on then.....what did he fly?

Fuji Abound
18th Nov 2007, 18:16
Fast jets apparently :confused:

JinjaNinja
18th Nov 2007, 18:55
I did not know him whilst being in the RAF 30 odd years ago.

I've met him since but don't know him well enough to count him amongst my friends or not-friends. I've seen him display appalling airmanship (N Weald about 3 yrs ago - when he barged into a very busy circuit with a cowboy call-sign).

Notwihstanding the above, I read the article this evening and found it quite a jolly wheeze!

JN

gasax
18th Nov 2007, 19:07
I'm with IO!

Spend £3.50, get the usual crap which you've read before. Read a 'flight test' of some mongrel aircraft which surprise surprise is really really great and amazingly is also for sale!!!!!

Wade through the adverts - all threatening that you will no longer be able to fly unless you buy an ZXC?VVD....efjdjflkj...

Or let this thing drop through the post box, read and discard - save at least £3.60!!

A nd you're complaining??? Why???

Aviation journalism in the UK is complete cr*p and totally dominated by a select group of free loaders. If you want knowledge buy the Aviation Consumer, if you want a magazine read LOOP and forget paying for anything!

SFCC
18th Nov 2007, 19:20
gasax....absolutely the best summation I have ever seen.
Whatever happened to the people whom I looked forward to reading accounts from?......B.Lecomber, B.Smith, D.Bianchi, B.Grimstead etc etc etc (many more that i will have ommited)
I no longer subscribe to any UK publications for the reasons listed above.
Great shame for all concerned

Oh ...and Sleeve Wing....I know the Soko is a piece of shoite...have flown one, but never will, and never have owned one.:=

Kit d'Rection KG
18th Nov 2007, 20:15
gasax wrote:

select group of free loaders :rolleyes:

No, a self-selecting group of free-loaders, in fact. And that's being extremely polite. :p

That said, the readership isn't too discerning. :yuk:

Years ago, I went out with a girl whose family owned a huge pig business - one of the UK's biggest. I was struck then by the amount of sh*t that they had to cope with. Since then, despite the demise of a promising relationship with a lovely girl, I've often had cause to comment that this problem is not exclusively theirs. ;)

Kit d'Rection KG
18th Nov 2007, 20:20
Two more things...

First, you can do the ILS into Cannes...

The Nice ILS, that is, followed by a visual segment...

...and the remarks about BD above chime with me. His talent as a writer matches his ability as a pilot, so far as I can see, and as a writer and pilot, neither leaves me worried!

eharding
18th Nov 2007, 20:30
I've met him since but don't know him well enough to count him amongst my friends or not-friends. I've seen him display appalling airmanship (N Weald about 3 yrs ago - when he barged into a very busy circuit with a cowboy call-sign).

To be fair, he was in the LHS of an Airbus at the time, it was a company callsign, and he was trying to make it to Stansted....

(I made that up, by the way).

IO540
18th Nov 2007, 21:49
Current Jeppview, updated a few days ago, lists a LOC/DME as the only available IAP for LFMD.

greeners
18th Nov 2007, 22:08
So BD flew that well known aeroplane known as 'fast jets' did he?!?:zzz: Happy for confirmation in either direction, last I saw him on ULAS he was certainly not in line for an RAF career, think that I chatted to him at NWeald and he confirmed the same.

Doesn't mean that he hasn't flown a lot of aeroplanes, nor that he can get people speaking about a subject that he has written about. Maybe that makes him a good journo....;)

Say again s l o w l y
18th Nov 2007, 22:11
Anyone who "hates" the mighty shed is nothing short of an imbecile, or has never flown one and goes purely on the looks of the thing.

Noisy and not particularily fast, but nice to hand fly and I learnt more flying them than on any a/c before or since.

Ugly as sin, but actually a pretty neat bit of design.

LOOP is alright, but nothing special. It does do a slightly better job than the glossier mags, but I wouldn't pay for it.

The standard of journalism is often pretty low. There are a couple of people who can write, but compared to other forms of journalism the sector is very, very mediocre.

Mind you, I haven't done anything to help, so it's a bit rich to criticise too much.

eharding
18th Nov 2007, 22:55
Keep up at the back, Greeners. The serious point here as that IO540 has found a glaring error in the current Jeppview.

As for Bob, I've never heard him mention 'fast jets' as part of his reportoire - he had Hawk time in his youth, and clearly it left an impression, expressed in the article.

Anyway, I'm not his publicity agent - if I was, I would be banging on about how he was a child prodigy as classical ballet dancer - Margot Fonteyn described his performance as lead dancer in the summer 1975 Epping Ballet Academy performance of Swan Lake as 'eye-watering' - Nureyev himself was present for his performance in the Academy's autumn production of Don Quixote that year, with a view to recruiting Bob for the Junior Bolshoi. Sadly, as we all know, that was all brought to a halt by a rogue ingrown toenail. Tragic.

Commercial aviation, and aviation journalism, has gained from his change in career direction, but at a dreadful cost to British classical dance. He doesn't like to talk about it, but it is a fact he has flown every flight test yet published to date wearing his tutu - known affectionately as Desmond.

B.Lecomber, B.Smith, D.Bianchi, B.Grimstead? - all respected pilots and authors....but they couldn't dance for toffee.

Say again s l o w l y
18th Nov 2007, 23:05
Errr no. Cannes does only have LOC/DME, not an ILS.

I think Jeppview is accurate and a certain journalist needs to get his facts straight.

gijoe
19th Nov 2007, 06:02
As already pointed out here, if the Bulldog was a fast jet then BD would be an ex-boy.

It isn't, and therefore I think we can say that he isn't.

greeners
19th Nov 2007, 06:36
eharding, you are completely right to focus on ballet - how slow of me. I hadn't been aware of Bob's amazing dance track record, but do understand his dress sense a little better now;)

As for the other journos mentioned, Brian still writes for Flyer magazine, and was awarded European GA journo of the year award at the Paris Airshow for his efforts, and Bob still writes in a number of places, most notably in Pilot. I met him at Shoreham when our aeroplanes were parked together at the airshow, and what a jolly nice chap he was too.

Whirlybird
19th Nov 2007, 07:34
I'm not quite sure what the problem is here....

If I started a thread discussing my three favourite aircraft and three most hated ones, everyone would happily join in. If in the first sentence I mentioned I'd flown X number of types, people would consider this useful info, not a reason to knock me. And they might or might not agree with my opinions, but so what - we're all different.

Now, I could then decide to turn that thread into an article and send it to one of the mags. If I had any sense I would - after all, they pay, and I write far too much for free anyway. :( And my opinions would be published. But all that would mean is that they reached a wider audience. Getting one's opinions in print doesn't make them gospel - and no-one thinks it does. And it wouldn't make me anyone special...and everyone should know that too.

Bob Davy wrote an interesting, entertaining, and informative account of some aircraft he likes and some he hates. "Interesting, entertaining, informative", note. That's what mags try to do - get a balance between those three. They're not textbooks or Pilots Operating Handbooks, and nor do they want to be. And if you personally didn't find his article interesting etc...well, like I said, we're all different.

For £3.50 or so you have a choice of glossy aviation mags....or you can get about one and half cups of coffee at Starbucks, or a minute or so of flying, or 1% of a Breitling watch. It's your choice.

So what's all the fuss about? And if by any chance it's jealousy creeping in, I know for a fact that most of the aviation mags need more contributions.

Then you too could get flamed on PPRuNe. :):ok:

Flash0710
19th Nov 2007, 09:28
Interesting! People here with real names or known names, who we know can fly. And a spineless jealous individual hiding as an unknown......i put my money on feelings of inadequacy........

Personally, and i have been very fortunate in the types i have flown and loved , i don't care what i'm in.... it's all surly bond slipping and all about fun....

Could we please encourage the publications that are available to us instead of childish in-fighting???

We should be making the most of it while we can

loadsaluv

xxxx
f

formationfoto
19th Nov 2007, 11:27
Flash my dear chap - a self serving appeal there! :-)
I'm with you on that.
BD has certainly flown many types and his advice on the Soko well worth taking. I briefly looked at one once and was dissuaded by Bob. Thanks I owe you for saviour from frustration and excessive expense (I thought the Chipmunk was bad enough).

We are all, of course, better than any of the writers mentioned in this thread which is why they are paid to write.............

All of the mags do a reasonable job of serving as much of the market as they can. If they didnt they simply wouldnt exist as it is a small and over populated market.

Barcli
19th Nov 2007, 17:17
has he got a brother - Adrian ?:)

Say again s l o w l y
19th Nov 2007, 17:30
Aviation mags in the UK and worldwide are pretty poor compared to other sections of specilist journalism.

Motorcycle magazines for instance. A far more crowded market place and they have similar circulations, but the journo's are all full time and do far more than just write reviews of aircraft or simply give their opinions.

They are professional writers first and bikers second. Most of the stuff I read in the flying mags is childlike in comparison (whirly's efforts excepted) Single tests, very little in the way of reviewing new stuff or leading campaigns.

I find very little to interest me in the mags and don't regularily buy any of them.

No I don't contribute anything too them, but I'm a pilot NOT a journalist and anyone publishing my ramblings would probably need sectioning. Not that I'd do a worse job than most of the guff I read when I do flick through a copy of any of the "glossies".

I stil maintain that anyone who "hates" the SD 3-60 is an a*se and quite frankly I'm not interested in any of their opinions as they haven't got the foggiest about what they are talking about. I try not spout off about subjects I have no idea about. Unfortunately the writer in this case seems to have done exactly that.

Kit d'Rection KG
19th Nov 2007, 19:51
Professional pilot..? :O

Hate the SD3-60..? :ooh:

Then stay at home and draw the dole until they make you serve burgers at McDonalds! :sad:

Airline accountant..? :)

Looking for a very economical short-haul freighter..? :):):)

Buy the SD3-60!:):):):):):)

Just have someone on hand to cope with the job applications from pilots! :yuk:

Phoenix09
20th Nov 2007, 10:12
Anyway, I'm not his publicity agent - if I was, I would be banging on about how he was a child prodigy as classical ballet dancer - Margot Fonteyn described his performance as lead dancer in the summer 1975 Epping Ballet Academy performance of Swan Lake as 'eye-watering'

I was lucky enough to witness one of Bob's dance performances only a few weeks ago in Bristol. 'Eye-watering' would certainly be an apt description. My counsellor says that a years worth of appointments should help me to stop the nightmares.

Fuji Abound
20th Nov 2007, 10:21
I really dont know why people actually buy any of the UK mags?

Loop is free - so who cares, read if you like, put it in the bin if you dont.

However, I do think Flying from America is worth another plug.

A two year subscription with the state of the dollar I think works out at less than £1 by mail straight through your letter box. You will find hardly any advertising and no pretty pictures but usually some very informative articles from people who fly regularly. It is a little biased towards the higher end of GA but Lane writes every month and there is plently for everyone.

I personally think whatever your interest it is a jolly good read for less than a pound!

camlobe
20th Nov 2007, 17:46
Loop gets delivered to my door. It tells me things that the CAA should, but don't. It tells me things that EASA should, but don't. It tells me about other develpoments in all aspects of aviation before I tend to hear from anywhere else. It contributes positively to my aviation business. And the articles are written in interesting and informative prose.

I don't see anything else this comprehensive for FREE.

Keep it up Loop.

P.S. I have only flown 33 different types, so I have some way to go to catch Mr Davy up.;)

P.P.S. I don't count sub-types as a seperate type (all PA 28's as one type, all 172's as one type, etc).

camlobe

aztruck
21st Nov 2007, 03:21
I have a shed at the bottom of my garden. It shows no signs of flight but if I kicked it hard enough ...well ...you never can tell with Isaac and his bits and bobs...there just may be something in it....
I imagine this must all be over the papers tomorow..after all, so many self agreabe persns ............................................................ ....right lad:yuk::D

Floppy Link
21st Nov 2007, 17:40
Scheme to get them all free....

1) Get Loop free

2) When your sister asks what you'd like for Christmas - "year's sub to Pilot mag please"

3) When....mum.....for Christmas - "...sub for Flyer mag please"

4) repeat as required

javelin
22nd Nov 2007, 02:58
I think the magazine is generally good and I like the free format - as per a couple of US aviation newspaper productions.

Can't say I am a fan of this correspondent however. He did a flight test on my aeroplane a few years ago, didn't want to do any aeros but wrote them up, claimed experience on type and completely porked the first approach, second one needed input from moi !

When you compare his style of writing to others in the field, he needs a few tips :sad: Jezza Clarkson has the dismissive initial impression to finish with praise to a tee, Mr Davy doesn't.

And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed my 1,000 hours on the Short 360 :ok:

ericferret
22nd Nov 2007, 11:46
I get annoyed every time Loop lands on my doormat.

The fact that the UK CAA distributes my name and address to magazines, insurance companies and others for commercial purposes gets my goat.

Compare this to the attempts by the Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers to get the CAA to forward mail to its constituency without them having sight of the data.

This has met with a blank refusal.

I wonder if the CAA are breaking the Data protection act?

Fake Sealion
22nd Nov 2007, 12:05
Simple.....they got the mailing list from a bloke flogging a couple of CD's down the pub......

TheGorrilla
22nd Nov 2007, 14:05
Sheds are great for sheltering in, storing tools and escaping the rat race while having a little potter. Just like aviations equivalent.

bobdavy
22nd Nov 2007, 15:35
Oh really? What aircraft was that then? Why didn't you complain to me at the time?

And I've got 500 hrs on SD360 and I still think its crap.

I don't normally reply to forums because they're full of faceless morons but youre a bit special. Send your message to [email protected]

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Nov 2007, 16:20
Javelin wrote:
Can't say I am a fan of this correspondent however. He did a flight test on my aeroplane a few years ago, didn't want to do any aeros but wrote them up, claimed experience on type and completely porked the first approach, second one needed input from moi !

Does that mean that what Javelin wrote was not true?

FD

Fake Sealion
22nd Nov 2007, 16:44
Like it or not, this is the major forum for professional and recreational pilots and aviation supporters. It may also be frequented by a some marketing managers who have large advertising budgets spent with UK aviation publications....Are they the faceless "faceless morons" you refer to?:=

scooter boy
22nd Nov 2007, 16:50
Isn't it just great when the person who was being slagged off pops up unexpectedly on the forum and the bitching ends, welcome Bob Davy!:D

SB

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Nov 2007, 17:00
It is nice and if you have time on the Shed, then you are entitled to your opinion and I'll retract my comments about you not knowing what you are talking about.

I still think you're wrong though!!

DenhamPPL
22nd Nov 2007, 17:06
I don't find LOOP a particularly interesting read most of the time - poor editing and (with early editions) atrocious printing put me off it but I did enjoy Bob Davy's article on the "best and worst"...

I thought the old adage "if it looks right it should fly right.." was particularly apt with regards to the Shorts SD360. It IS ugly as sin so presumably handles like a dog. The same could apply to a lesser extent with the other two "worst" aeroplanes he flew. Well done Bob - it was the only article I read in its entirety.

To be fair to LOOP they have attempted to bring a more "community" feel to UK flying - especially with their regular "first solo" and club news section. This is something sadly lacking from the other aviation publications.

I wish they would print it on better paper though:ugh:

Phil Space
22nd Nov 2007, 17:32
Well you certainly take the prize for arrogance Bob Davey:confused:
I don't normally reply to forums because they're full of faceless morons but you're a bit special.
The same faceless morons who buy the magazines every month :ugh:
Sadly I find this type of superior attitude permeates a lot of what I read in UK flying magazines.
The late Len Morgan who wrote for Flying magazine was a compulsive read every month.He wrote not only of aircraft but also the people and experiences he encountered over his flying career. For me the most memorable was the day he taxied to the gate for the last time with Brannif. It was hard not to to feel the emotion of a man at the end of his career flying the big jets. Morgan spent 33 years with the airline and skippered every type they flew during that period. Gordon Baxter was another great aviation writer who wrote for Flying in a passionate but down to earth way. Pilot has never been the same since James Gilbert sold it.
I'm not a car enthusiast but I enjoy Clarkson and the team. If Jeremy tried the Bob Davey approach he would be sent up by Hamster and James Mays in a second.
A more humble attitude might help Bob:sad:

aviate1138
22nd Nov 2007, 17:39
I was on a 360 into Heathrow, years ago, on a particularly cross wind landing on 27L [ I know because I watched the runway lights approach from out of my side window. We were being moved around quite a bit but the flare and correction to a featherlight touchdown were superb. A similar approach into Norwich a week later had the same result. Different pilot, so my guess is the machine probably handles quite well. And I really enjoyed the experiences, it did not feel like we were on the edge of controllability.

stiknruda
22nd Nov 2007, 17:41
I've refrained from commenting to date.

Bob you write the stuff, others disagree, pretty much the norm in everyday life. You then pitch up here, insult the folk that you are writing for as they disagree - mmmn, that's grown up. I'm sure that no one makes you write your copy!

I actually enjoyed the best/worst three article.

Worst thing that you could do now would be to dissapear, stand up and defend yourself!

As for Jav's aerobatic jibe, did you ever write up a two-tone Christen Eagle flight test?

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Nov 2007, 17:55
DenhamPPL, seriously unless you have experience of a particular type then you don't really have any knowledge to make comments. The Shed is a ugly old thing, but handles alot better than it looks. It does a job well and has some very neat design features. Some god awful ones as well, but it was a tough machine and saw me through some pretty rough flights with no problems.

I'd rather hand fly a shed than an airbus as at least you can actually feel what's going on. The only problems I ever suffered with the shed were down to the maintenance (or lack of it) not with the basic design. Now if you were to talk about the 3-30..............

Oh and Bob.

I don't normally reply to forums because they're full of faceless morons but youre a bit special.

Good attitude. You do realise that the numbers of people who read Pprune swamp every single flying mag added together and multiplied by a lot.

I've learnt more from forums like pprune than any flying magazine.

Phil Space has a good point. All the articles I've read in the mag's over the last few years seem to be written more as promotion for the individual rather than as an informative article.

You shouldn't need to tell people about your experience levels in the articles, that should come across in your writing.

I suppose this is what happens when you use freelancers constantly with just a small number of editorial staff, rather than having staff journo's who the reader can build up a relationship (of sorts) with and learn to trust or not the opinions that are put forth.

Thinking about other types of specialist magazines, how can bike mags, car mags, sailing mags etc be more interesting to me than the flying ones?

I like bikes, cars and sailing, but I'm obsessed by aviation and yet I wouldn't buy a flying mag?

If you can't interest someone like me, then what hope is there?

Loop is better than the incumbents and I can't fault it too much as it is a free paper. It holds my interest for 5 minutes, but no more than that.

Contacttower
22nd Nov 2007, 18:23
I've learnt more from forums like pprune than any flying magazine.

That is so true, it is difficult to fault with a free mag and I have read LOOP from time to time...loved the glowing report on the Liberty XL a while ago...interesting to see how that turned out :yuk:.

Slightly off the point...does anyone remember reading a Practical Aviation piece in Pilot a while ago about 'False Economies'? Am I alone in thinking that it was a complete waste of space which just stated the obvious and actually would do nothing to deter someone who really had got into the habit of cheating on their times and letting other people crash their aircraft?

SFCC
22nd Nov 2007, 18:57
This has indeed turned into an interesting thread, not to mention an insight into the journalistic abilities of UK flying publications....even more so now that the chap originally mentioned felt the need to register on here to attempt self defence.

Now, I enjoy reading balanced, informative and factual articles, but as I said earlier, I consider almost every aspect of the aforementioned LOOP page-space to be utter drivel (especially the Shorts 360 bit....and I, much as I wouldn't normally point it out, have several multiples of Mr. Davy's 500 hrs on type).

Seeing as you're here now, can you please enlighten us as to your ex-military lineage please?:confused:

Floppy Link
22nd Nov 2007, 20:06
Chaps,
remember the disclaimer! "The unscrupulous etc...elicit certain reactions etc..."

if BobDavy wants to prove he really is Bob Davy with a [email protected] address that would be a start.

"Bob" why didn't you use your @loop.aero address? Surely they gave you one.

500hrs on a 360, come back and write a report on it when you have some time on type...

javelin
23rd Nov 2007, 09:40
Stiknruda................you are making me blush now :cool:

Bahn-Jeaux
23rd Nov 2007, 10:26
Not enough hours for me to really comment on anything much regarding types, only passed GST in July, but I suppose that means I am still fired up and enthusiastic to the point where anything aviation related is interesting to me.
I have not as yet formed an opinion as to the best/worst mags and have no chance whatsoever on commenting on the good and bad points of any aircraft I have flown unless its the difference between a 140/150 PA 28.

I read Loop and do enjoy it and as has been stated, its free so to me there is no problem whatsoever.

I also read Bob Davys article both with interest and some amount of envy both at his experience and hours achieved and found nothing to gripe about.

He wrote an article which achieved its goal of entertaining the reader (in most cases).

Most of the carping now seems to me to be just like the people who sit and watch a film to see how many mistakes there are in it as opposed to being entertained.

stellair
26th Nov 2007, 01:20
Hi Bob/sleeve wing/flash/Ed and the other "faceless" ww lads! I'll be down for a beer soon.

To all the rest of you who disagree with Bob's summary of the shed you need to remember. Flying a shed is like shagging a fat bird, you may never admit to it or say it was rubbish but you loved every second of it really!

Come to think of it Bob I don't remember you ever bragging about big girls :E

Wide-Body
26th Nov 2007, 05:06
Well here we are in Pprune land discussing a sin to all men--- A journalist with an opinion. What ever next a Vicar who dares preach or Whore who shags!!! Jings crivins. I suppose it depends on what we want to read or view. Do we like the factual but clinical William Wollard or opinionated Jezza Clarkson. I prefer the entertainment of Clarkson. Does this analogy spread to the world of the aviation mag, I think it does. The other month one of my all time favorite steeds was reviewed, the Marchetti SF260. The report was technically well written, but with no soul, no passion and no opinion. The ability to place the reader in the cockpit is a skill given to Gainza, Lecomber and to an extent Davy. For my soulless Marchetti article I had to pay good English pounds, at least Loop is free. Often the best articles are the most opinionated, just ask Clarkson. The Davy article on the Soko Kraguj was brilliant as was Clarksons on the Vectra. Unless you were Vauxhall or ever owned a Kraguj.

Do we need 500 hours to talk about an opinion of a type; No. To know it, to understand it, to love it in a way a mother can then yes we need thousands. I can tell you in my opinion the Percival Prentice is a DOG. I have all of one hour and twenty minutes. Yet if the chief pilot of Air Atlantiqe historic flight were to find out who I am he would hold my head in the propeller arc. And a lovely lady called Anna (I think) from Biggin Hill would press the starter button. Opinions are that, and god help us the day that they are taken away.

Now this thread had a nasty personal undertone with someone whom appears to dislike the author. Lets show respect for him and his opinions. But surely someone who has flown a hundred plus types must have developed some level of experience on which to base his opinions on. And as long he does not badmouth a Chipmunk he will live to fly another day.

I have met BD, he test flew one of my aeroplanes. I found the bloke to be pleasant with a good set of hands. He never told me he had flown fast jets for Aunt Betty and I suspect if he had done he would have.

SFCC In my view opinions are like arseholes, every one has got one but just dirty ones are not pleasant . Time to go back to the beach for a beer (and a big girl while I am it) .;)

Whirlybird
26th Nov 2007, 07:17
Wide-body,

:D:D:D:D:D:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

S-Works
26th Nov 2007, 07:45
I said this right at the start but have to say it again, what on earth are you lot getting so uptight about?

I have just sat and re read the article this morning and I really can't find anything to so inflame the sensibilities. It is well written and interesting and carries an opinion nothing more. I have never flown the shorts and the thing is to damn ugly for me to want to.

It rather strikes me from reading the replies on here that an element of jealousy exists and a need for certain people to tell us all how much experience they have......

Mind you Bob, I would rather not have been referred to as a faceless moron........

These forums are filled with an emotive bunch with little else to do with their time than talk bollox about their exploits, but we don't need insulting as we are also the audience you are writing for.....

Cheers, BoseX (who feels the need need to point out he has only flown around 60 types in his few thousand hours).... :O :p

Lister Noble
26th Nov 2007, 09:38
Bose,that is vey upsetting.:)
I have flown 3 types P1 in 110 hrs.
I fly around 30 hrs a year,so at that rate,to get to 60 types will take me another 73 years.
73+64,means Iwill be 137 years old!
Will I make it?
Lister
;););)

Major Major
26th Nov 2007, 11:43
I am a stude with 40 hours. I have landed at three aerodromes - but they were nice landings. I couldn't tell you whether a Hawk deserves to be in the top three or not - but they sure are pretty to look at.
I thought Bob's article was just average, like so many of the aviation mags. Like many people on here I devour anything aviation related but Loop and their ilk are just so boring. How can you take an aircraft like that Pitts with the radial engine and make it boring? But they do.

Generally they make the mistake of imparting information over entertaining. Obviously, I don't need an artistic flourish with every runway light related NOTAM but when reviewing an aircraft there is so much more to say beyond the POH, or 'we routed through X via A'.

That's why Clarkson is good; even when confronted with a Vectra, he finds something interesting to say. Sometimes he goes for the crazy generalisations because he knows that boring text is dead text.

I view modern TV sports coverage as suffering from the same problem. These days it seems that you have to be a success to qualify as a pundit, with the result that very few are any good. Hence the analysis in the printed media (e.g., Guardian, Times) remains far ahead of any analysis done on TV, as they employ only those that are good enough to communicate intelligent analysis.

So to bring us back to aviation, I would argue that having thousands of hours on tens of types is interesting but not required - I don't want to employ you, I just want you to communicate with me.

drambuster
26th Nov 2007, 13:32
I have read the 'offending article' and have to say I agree with Wide Body, Whirlybird, Bose-X and others: it is a perfectly reasonable piece of journalism and I cannot see how it could possibly generate this hysterical ranting from SFCC :
LOOP trash mag....and Bob Davy in particular
Just who is this jumped up, opinionated f**ckwitt?
Anybody who starts a paragraph with " I've flown more than 'xyz' different types...." deserves all they get.
Thankfully it isn't too shiny to wipe my arse with.
In fact SFCC, you have demonstrated that you are an arse and Loop is far too good to waste on you :}

stellair
26th Nov 2007, 14:33
Ha ha......wide body......AACF's CP requests your head for a prop arc! :\

Seriously......well said.

False Capture
26th Nov 2007, 15:02
Well done Bob. Keep up the good work as we need controvercial articles. However, will we ever read the one about Bob's Worst Day - the day Bentley ran away?

By the way, I've always found that fat birds appreciate it more and you get much more in return!:eek:

eharding
26th Nov 2007, 15:27
However, will we ever read the one about Bob's Worst Day - the day Bentley ran away?

I understand its been written up in a forthcoming article by Bentley in "Woof" magazine, working title "Best Three..Worst Three Dog Walks - Ever".

Doubtless, regardless of his choices, poor old Bentley is still going to get grief on the PDrune forum, inevitably from some yappy little Chiauaua posting under a pseudonym of "Baskerville" or "DobermannsForBreakfast". Still, Flash posts on that forum as "Bandit", so we may have some fun yet.

Kirstey
26th Nov 2007, 15:33
Well I had a ad ready to put in Loop this weekend. After Bob's comments, I've decided to save my money.

Well done, you've cost your paymaster at least a little bit of revenue.

DenhamPPL
26th Nov 2007, 16:42
" Well I had a ad ready to put in Loop this weekend. After Bob's comments, I've decided to save my money.

Well done, you've cost your paymaster at least a little bit of revenue."

You could always place the ad in LOOT - assuming it's a Shorts..

Phil Space
26th Nov 2007, 17:39
I just wonder who is doing PR for Bob. His quote has echo's of another famous pr gaff:hmm:
Oh really? What aircraft was that then? Why didn't you complain to me at the time?

And I've got 500 hrs on SD360 and I still think its crap.

I don't normally reply to forums because they're full of faceless morons but youre a bit special.
How many on here remember Gerald Ratner;)

It puzzles me why so many of the GA 'aviation journalist' brigade are not active on the main forums.(Ian Seager and Irv Lee excepted).
Alan Bramson was the same years ago in Pilot. He wrote great technical stuff but it was dry and stuffy.I've still got his book (Make Better Landings) but he never wrote a " how I had a great weekend in the Channel Islands article".
In defence of Bob Davey the business model must work. The Sunday Times have linked up with Loop to offer trial flight packages for the xmas market.

wsmempson
27th Nov 2007, 21:37
There is a rumour doing the rounds that Mr. Davey's posting on Pprune appeared in error, as he was trying to send a pm to one of the previous posters, but got confused and pressed the wrong button. It isn't often that one gets to find out what a journalist genuinely thinks of his readership.

I believe Private Eye used to finish some of it's articles "New technology baffles pissed old hack....". Nice to see that proved empirically.:}

bobdavy
28th Nov 2007, 10:38
Its true, I thought it was a personal reply. What a plonker.

.. and I wasn't refering to everyone as 'faceless morons'. Pprune is good value and good for the industry. For the incisive minds I apologise, really I do.

.. and next time I take Bentley for a walk I'll take a lead (the search involved a dozen people, four cars, two Piper Cubs and a motorbike).

Next month its a fluffy little feature about health and safety. Im bracing myself for the broadside

Wide-Body
28th Nov 2007, 12:57
Well Emma,

at least he has the Balls to say he got it wrong. And without the luxury of being faceless.

Love to all

Wide

Back to the beach (or actually continue with the swim up bar hic)

Flash0710
28th Nov 2007, 15:01
Stay away from my dog!!!!!!

hugs

xxx

f

bobdavy
28th Nov 2007, 15:13
I know I'm never taking Bandit for a walk. Anyway he bit me, remember.

S-Works
28th Nov 2007, 15:20
Now I am impressed Bob. Prepared to admit you were wrong and apologize rare these days.

Personally I hope the next article is as good as the last.
:)

eharding
28th Nov 2007, 16:05
I know I'm never taking Bandit for a walk. Anyway he bit me, remember.

That's nothing compared to what he did to my helmet bag - the electrics in the Gentex have never been the same since.......revenge will be mine though...oh yes.

bobdavy
28th Nov 2007, 17:20
..it was mine too. I let him cool down after he bit me, waited for about 15 minutes until he'd relaxed and started sniffing round again, and then booted him in the @rse.

SFCC
28th Nov 2007, 21:59
So, Mr Davy, before this thread dies a death, did you or did you not serve on a fast jet squadron please?:confused:

False Capture
28th Nov 2007, 23:13
Is there something special about having served on a fast jet squadron?

SFCC sounds like a cock, good job he doesn't write articles for Pilot, Loop, Flyer, etc.:ugh:

eharding
29th Nov 2007, 00:02
C*ck.

Steady on there mate. We nearly had an outbreak of peace, love and harmony on the thread. Actually, it was down to another triple driver (Ah no, he flies the Queen of the Skies now...I sit corrected) who started the whole Fast Jet thing - look back down the thread. Bit of forename confusion there - but then, the first time I flew the triple driver concerned in the back of the tractor - and frankly, kicked the arse of the Wok driven by BD - he clearly thought my first name was Huey - at least, he presented me with a litre of huey in a waxed paper container when we got back to the pumps at WW. It was like one of those health smoothies you can buy at Sainsburys....only made with Stilton. Nice.

Bandit Flash's Hound
29th Nov 2007, 00:10
Right uncle sideshow......

Me old fella mentioned this.... You know im too f'in busy with face book but i knew you kicked me up the arse....

Well i hope you will appreciate i have not joined as a " faceless " member but if you remember Father Ted you will recognise this.....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Noblelordflash/arse.jpg

I do not forget.....

:E:E:E

Love

xxx

b

eltonioni
29th Nov 2007, 00:12
The last few posts aside (which I can't begin to work out) is it just me that feels more than a little uncomfortable at the pointless hatchet job on Bob Davy? So what if you don't agree with his opinion?

Why does that grant the right to dish out endless, needless, unnecessary abuse? The bloke gets paid for his opinion... live with it or write something better yourself.

Shame. :(

(bring it on)

javelin
29th Nov 2007, 07:42
Perhaps he flew with Stu Gibson :E

Human Factor
29th Nov 2007, 08:13
Ok, it was me, I admit it. I was on a baiting mission.:rolleyes:

I honestly have no idea whether Uncle Sideshow was on a FJ squadron or not. Can't say it bothers me either way particularly.

I know Bob and I have a lot of time for him (even if he did lose Bentley) so a chance to get one over on someone doing an anonymous hatchet job on him was too good to miss.:=

Sorry (although it would appear it worked). :E

PS: Ed, you were very gracious considering I hadn't been turned upside down in an aeroplane for about five years!! Cheese and pickle if I remember correctly. Still, took Bob's advice and a Coke and a Mars bar do the trick these days. ;)

False Capture
30th Nov 2007, 22:18
eHarding,

After you were presented with HF's bag did Sandra take it of you and serve it to TheGorrilla as The Soup of the Day?

eharding
30th Nov 2007, 22:43
Stuff

a) Rookie mistake. You know as well as I do the Gorilla doesn't eat anything he can't pick up with his fingers - he never orders the soup. Crumble presents the minimum viscosity he can deal with.

b) SB reads Proon. You'll be lucky if you're allowed to lick the used plates clean after that critique of the soup. No more Specials Board for a while for you, boy - for you...ze cooler!. Still, all the more for me. Well done, lad.

TheGorrilla
5th Dec 2007, 09:03
Soup??? bleeurrrgh!!!:yuk:

No thanks. Bring on the steak!

llanfairpg
5th Dec 2007, 10:21
what a load of ****, at least Bob Davy is interesting

'Chuffer' Dandridge
5th Dec 2007, 11:24
what a load of ****, at least Bob Davy is interesting

What, a bit like Steve 'Interesting' Davies???

Apologies for all those whippersnappers who are too young to remember 'Splitting Image'

llanfairpg
5th Dec 2007, 12:17
I have to say BD is one of the most entertaining characters I have ever come across and I have spent many hours testing medicinal alcohol with him.

Sometimes he talks **** about flying but not as much as appears on here!

stellair
5th Dec 2007, 14:14
I have to say BD is one of the most entertaining characters I have ever come across

WTF??? Do you work for BA? :E

Bandit Flash's Hound
5th Dec 2007, 14:28
He is coming to see me old man in a bit........

Shall i bite him again????

hugs

xxx
b

stellair
5th Dec 2007, 14:33
Yes Bandit, who's a good boy? pretend you're a pitbull, lock on to his knackers and don't let go, there's a pork chop in it for you ;)

TheGorrilla
5th Dec 2007, 15:47
Pork chop or chipolata???

I'll be avoiding that one on the specials board for a while. Just on the off chance certain flying club dog owners go seeking revenge.

Sleeve Wing
5th Dec 2007, 16:37
Jeezus !! Haven't stopped larffin' for the last quarter of an hour !
Keep it up, guys. What was the original thread about ??????
PS. Think it's time we had a separate ww forum here, don't you, ed, stik, flash, wide, falsies, stellar, HF ?
Or maybe a ww bumper fun book, just for the brilliant banter being chucked about on here !!
(Thx for braving it out, Mods. There are some better writers here than on some of the mags.)
TTFN, Sleeve.
:D :D :D

llanfairpg
5th Dec 2007, 18:35
There you are you see i told you BD was good value. You think this is funny you ought see him in the pub!

Human Factor
5th Dec 2007, 21:36
Never got chance. Tried to keep up with him once on the way to the pub (the one day last year when his TVR worked). Not a hope! I was pulling G on a gentle bend on the A404 and he was still getting away.....:ooh:

eharding
5th Dec 2007, 21:43
Ah...the Griffith 500 LW - a lightweight, stripped out version, with the weight penalty of the roof panel permenantly deleted. Mind, you he made TVR (and aviation) history being the only owner ever to spend 4 times the cost of a new panel flying up & down the M40 trying the find the old one in a helicopter. True dedication to the cause though...

llanfairpg
5th Dec 2007, 21:44
About 10 of us went to a party once in deepest Sheep Shagging land. I lead the formation of cars pretending to know the way down these suicidal lanes. BD ended up formating beside me in his Porker going around the bends!!!!

One of us must be mad

Still I think life would be all the poorer without the BDs!!!

Flash0710
6th Dec 2007, 16:27
It's great car when its running and not catching fire......

luv

xxxx

f

TheGorrilla
6th Dec 2007, 18:43
BD seems to have a habit of flying around looking for lost things. Dogs, roof from TVR, marbles????

javelin
7th Dec 2007, 06:39
TVR - aka Blackpool Kit Car :E

llanfairpg
7th Dec 2007, 10:32
TVR is very sadly-- a lost thing!

TheGorrilla
7th Dec 2007, 16:30
TVR.... Named after the bloke that started the company. Trevor. Remove the first R and all the vowels from his name and you get TVR. Romantic eh?

stellair
7th Dec 2007, 16:57
So what's the Bobster done with his TVR, is it still running? Jim told me the roof fell off! Wouldn't have thought that'd make any difference, he'd drive round with the roof off in any wx, shades on, etc etc..... :cool:

llanfairpg
7th Dec 2007, 21:21
BD's son must be around flying age now, are we all ready for BD Mk 2!

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2007, 22:40
I assume this isn't the same Bob Davey who flies the Stinson and various gliders and tugs out of Booker? Nice chap, excellent pilot, don't believe he's ever written for anything.

Anyhow, reading this caused me to go and haul that copy of Loop out of the recycling bin (nothing personal Loop - I just recycle virtually everything just because I seem to acquire so much reading matter).

Hawk (and yes I have some (12ish I think) hours on type, no not as an RAF pilot) I thought he was spot on about that aircraft - and although I don't know the JP, it's certainly a breath of fresh air after the Tincano.

Shorts 360 - never flown one of those either, but his opinions seem similar to those of people I know and trust, who have.

Chevvron 2-32c - what was the man actually flying? The aircraft (or at least the couple I've flown) has a standard electric start, not a lawnmower recoil starter as described, getting your head in is a seating angle problem, not a cockpit size issue - whilst I'm only 5ft6", I know 6ft+ pilots who have many happy hours in the Chevvron. Okay, fair point it is slow does require curvature of the earth to get airborne, but if he needed "full power not to sink below the glide" then he was completely misjudging his approaches (the Chevvron with a 17:1 glide ratio thermals pretty well and I think you'd have to be completely inept to fall low on approach). What sort of pilot is also so clumsy as to put his hand through a clearly fabric covered fuselage on first approach to the aircraft. Finally, by far the most irritating characteristics of the Chevvron are the odd control mechanisation and the constant low-ampliture Dutch Roll. Apparently he didn't notice either of those at-all. I really wonder if the chap has actually flown a Chevvron, or if he was, whether he really took any trouble to understand it.

G

Ken Wells
16th Dec 2007, 14:53
What a rant, I feel sorry for your boyfriend!

gijoe
16th Dec 2007, 21:45
G t E,

You are talking about a very, very different BD at Booker.

Chalk and cheese spring to mind.

G:ok:

Ken Wells
17th Dec 2007, 10:20
After reading the rant from SFCC, I find it amazing that parents would allow their StupidFlippingCrassChild to submit foul mouthed comments on a grown ups forum.
Grow up SFCC.:D

BentleyTheDog
17th Dec 2007, 14:44
Ken,
Whilst hanging around the bar, you told me SFCC stood for Stupid F*cking Childish C*nt.

But hey, what do I know I'm just a dog.

Bandit Flash's Hound
17th Dec 2007, 15:17
Bentley,

where did you learn these rude words????

teach me!!!!!:}

ps i nicked yr ball.....

luv

xxxx
b

BentleyTheDog
17th Dec 2007, 16:01
Bandit,

Bob Davy taught me those words!;)

Anyway, I'm not interested in balls anymore ... I've got a nice big bone now.

Ken Wells
17th Dec 2007, 17:45
Bentley Sit, good dog.

I prefer SFCC as Stupid Flipping Crass Child, it has a better ring to it.

Wouldn't want to sink to the intellectually challenged level SFCC the originator of the Anti-Loop rant!

Still feel sorry for his boyfriend though!

Fetch Boy!!

Say again s l o w l y
17th Dec 2007, 17:48
Oh the irony.....................

TheGorrilla
19th Dec 2007, 00:56
Oh dear.....

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Mar 2008, 20:23
This month's contribution by Bob Davey is limited to having a pop at a great ambassador for GA and the Flying Scholarships for the Disabled, Polly Vacher on account of her wearing an orange flight suit and some epaulettes.

He passes it off as being un-British and not the done thing in the circles that he apparently likes to be a cling-on to but he has sadly not realised that most Brits love people who put themselves out for charitable causes and loathe name droppers and social climbers.

Poor form both by Bob Davey and Loop for letting this get in the magazine.

FB11
26th Mar 2008, 20:47
Interesting to see how many people got wound up by the clear 'low news day' article at the end of Loop this edition, in particular the direct jibe at anyone who would even consider looking like a pilot when they go flying. No matter whether it's there 1st or 1000th flight.

The whole enforced modesty (oxymoron?) bit is quite baffling, changing out of your flying gear the moment your are done? Laughing at someone who is so keen on taking their FIRST flight they decide to turn up looking the part? (even though it might be a little over the top.)

Are some of our more senior aviators out there, Bob included, so self focussed on their status that they feel insecure with someone esle daring to try and even put their first toe in the door of aviation by 'getting into the spirit?'

If anyone is going to turn away the prospective trial lesson punter it's the elite few who are going to make the enjoyment of flight the retreat of those who wear jeans but probably speak very loudly in the club coffee house about how great their aeros sequence was.

The moment someone gets into flying, they will realise the do and don't rules quite quickly and that probably includes when/where to don your flying suit and/or lapels. But they won't ever be taking their second trip if the likes of Bob get to them.

I do hope that an airline captain or Group Captain would treat a C172 'captain' with a friendly camradery, comfortable with their own status and acknowledging their counterparts place in the foundations of aviation. Wasn't the airline captain taught by such a SEP captain in his youth?

Let's hope Bob gets out of his flying suit a little sooner next edition so he can write something that is positive for aviation rather than having a pop at the grass roots.

We're all on the same side Bob.

Three Yellows
26th Mar 2008, 20:56
Well I met Bob Davy for the first time last week. I then let him fly my pride and joy. His first time in the type and after a quick briefing from me, he flew it better than me. On the numbers all the time. This included some very close formation flying with a Yak in less than ideal conditions.

I thought he was a top bloke, very professional and very skilful pilot. He didn't "ram it down my throat" that he had thousands of hours under his belt, he just quietly got on with it. In fact I probably learnt more from him in those few hours than I had from many instructors as he does real flying, not just to CPT and back like some pilots I could mention.

FB11
26th Mar 2008, 21:07
Three Yellows,

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at someone you know but nobody is questioning Bob's skill as an aviator. That's the point. You know and he knows how well that sortie went. His wearing a flying suit for 1 minute or 1 week after he'd flown wouldn't have made him fly it any better. Good for him.

He wrote an article (apparently in over 20,000 copies if the e-mail I just received is anything to go by) which gives the distinct IMPRESSION that he's ridiculing more junior aviators for daring to look like pilots outside of an arbitrary time period he casually espouses.

That's not good for aviation if those with less time/hours feel that they can't express themselves.

I'm glad he didn't break your aircraft, clearly he's a skillful pilot (which, having read his article, I couldn't help but realise.)

eharding
26th Mar 2008, 21:24
I still remember the day a certain hairy primate of this parish dropped in for his (three course, as always) lunch at Waltham on his way to fly his Hatton Cross Glider to parts foreign. It was a fairly cold day, but the fires were lit in the clubhouse, but our primate friend kept his fleece jacket on - and after about half an hour it was quite plain he was getting uncomfortably warm.

The penny suddenly dropped.

"You've got your bloody shoulder boards on under there, haven't you?"

Cue three of us trying to wrestle said epaulettes away from the owner, and in time honoured tradition nail them above the bar until due ransom was forthcoming. Our chum, however, is built like a brick exterior convenience, and was having none of it. I think some food got spilled, and possibly there was a broken arm involved when the big lad thought someone was trying to make off with his Apple Crumble in the confusion.

Don't think I'd dare try that with Polly V. though - she's a lovely lady, and she knows Kung Fu.

TheOddOne
26th Mar 2008, 23:13
and she knows Kung Fu.

Ed,

Is that the cousin of Wun Hung Lo?

(cue loads of Oriental jokes of a smutty nature)

TOO

eharding
26th Mar 2008, 23:38
Is that the cousin of Wun Hung Lo?

Blimey. A comedy soft zero. You don't see that very often (well...every time I fly the Apprentices sequence at a competition, I grant you).

Looking a bit sparse for the Icicle - are you attending? I know of two more Waltham hooligans (one of whom initiated the incident outlined above) who are planning to attend in SIII, but who are predictably rubbish at getting the paperwork in on time...

TheGorrilla
26th Mar 2008, 23:55
Damn rapists!! What's a hungry primate gotta do for a bit of peace and quiet eh?

Anyway, sinse this threads supposed to be about Bob Davy, can I just say I'm looking forward to reading his book on how to fly a spitfire!!!

eharding
27th Mar 2008, 00:10
I thought Bobster's new book was based around the events leading up to, and the aftermath of, Bentley doing a runner?

Working title - "Enemy Toast Ahead"....on the grounds he was going to be force fed a cyanide croque monsieur had the pooch not reappeared. Your heroic efforts at searching for Bentley in the Cub with Bob as spotter (and finding a completely different Collie...you tw@ts) gets at least a chapter, maybe two.

TheGorrilla
27th Mar 2008, 00:18
Even without binoculars I could see from 500' the dog had patches in the wrong places. Bob insisted on investigating further though. Guess one could become a little irrational when faced with the threat of being nailed to the windsock by ones testicles.

Will you be eating the oysters again??

BentleyTheDog
27th Mar 2008, 00:30
Steady ladies,

I still have painfull memories about the day Bob didn't look after me. :{

eharding
27th Mar 2008, 00:30
Will you be eating the oysters again??

Not in this lifetime...or if in this lifetime, shortly before the agonisingly pain-filled end of it. Never let Bob recommend anything from the menu that lives in a shell.

Bandit Flash's Hound
27th Mar 2008, 12:42
BentleyTheDog Steady ladies,

I still have painfull memories about the day Bob didn't look after me. :{ Today 00:18

Don't worry Bentley i got him good and proper!!!!!!

MY BALL!!!!

Hugs

xxx
b

johnpearson1
23rd Nov 2012, 15:01
Bob Davy had the nerve to blithely announce to me last week that he saw me land recently - and in his opinion I was landing too fast - in my own aircraft!
I considered : a) a duel challenge, b) inviting him outside to discuss, c) double checking by taking my aircraft up to 3000 and in full landing config. tugging back until stall occurred.
Opted for c). He was bloody well right......
So he's alright by me.
His journalism is spirited too.
JP

B2N2
23rd Nov 2012, 20:19
Congratulations John, on your very first post you managed to resurrect a thread which died 4.5 years ago :D:D:D

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/73/7329b4cf_threadNecromancy.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Nov 2012, 08:42
It was an excellent post, and there's no rule against resurrecting old stuff. Welcome to Proon, John.

johnpearson1
24th Nov 2012, 09:11
Dear B2N2,
Had Bob made that comment 4.5 years ago, I would have been able to post it then ......... he made it last week ........ pls. pay attention.
JP