PDA

View Full Version : 5.5° glideslope

Life's a Beech
16th Nov 2007, 15:55
Where do I find out if a certain aircraft type (twin piston) is allowed to fly a 5.5° glideslope? Are there any limitations beyond what an operator might write and gain approval for?

I know the type is capable of it, but I need to write some operating instructions and need to see limitations laid down, if there are any published. The POH does not show any limitation on approach angle as far as I can find. It is not something that anyone really thinks about until they want to fly an approach beyond 3.5°.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
16th Nov 2007, 16:28
Aircraft need to be specifically certified for "steep" approaches i.e. 4.5 degrees or greater.

There's currently no official standard regulation for this, and as a result it gets done on an ad hoc basis per type, with the authorities generating "Special Conditions" or "Certification Review Items" for that type detailing the specific requirements.

The following is taken from a statement by EASA on a recent such exercise...

The requirements covering Steep Approach have been under discussion for some years and NPA 25B-267 (Final Rule) dated March 1999 was the last iteration to receive full circulation and comment within the JAA. However, this version has not been published as a change to CS 25, to date, and experience during usage on several projects has produced additional comment. EASA proposes that the safety standard for evaluation of steep approaches should be based on NPA 25B-267 (Final Rule) dated March 1999 and include amendments as agreed for application on another recent EASA certification.

I'd have thought the first places to ask would be (1) the OEM (2) the original certifying authority and (3) your local certifying authority, if different.

sinkingship
17th Nov 2007, 10:56
Automatic Landing Limitations Applicable To LWMO Conditions
The maximum glideslope angle is 3.25.
The minimum glideslope angle is 2.5.

From FCOM3 for B744

But the figures are for Autopilot, sorry cant find ref. for manual flying.

angelorange
17th Nov 2007, 15:01
CAA approvals required for London City. That includes airfield Cat training of crews.

eg: For the King Air the Auto pilot must be switched off before DH, full flap used on approach and in the event of an engine failure the go around climb gradient is crucial. Also with SE on missed approach at EGLL, diversion is then inevitable.

Life's a Beech
19th Nov 2007, 17:43
Thanks Mad Scientist. At least I know where to start my search now.

Cheers, sinking ship, but I think for a light piston that will be a moot point!

Yes, Angel. I am assuming that. I need to write the ops manual and get it approved, but I was stuck for a place to start! I think a chat with EGLC is next, then maybe the manufacturer as MadSci suggests.

dusk2dawn
19th Nov 2007, 18:38
Did you check Appendix 1 to OPS 1.515(a)83) + Appendix1 to 1.550(a) ?

Life's a Beech
19th Nov 2007, 18:49
Thank you. I will check JAR OPS when I get into the office tomorrow morning.