PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump on - fuel pump off

micromalc
15th Nov 2007, 18:47
ok so here's my prob. Over the last 4 years I've been lucky enough to be cleared to fly six different types of aircraft ranging from a DR400 to the Cap10. Now , when fitted with a fuel pump switch ,i have been taught "pump on for take off (and landings) of when you reach 1000ft, pump off.
Now, it seems to me that it may be more logical to turn the pump off whem one has reached a safe cruise height. Then,if anything goes wrong, you have time to do something about it. Okay folks am i missing something her...please enlighten.

hobbit1983
15th Nov 2007, 18:49
Because "safe cruise height" is defined as 1000ft?

SkyHawk-N
15th Nov 2007, 19:04
It's not an answer to the question but here is something from the CAA (GASIL)

Most recommend a minimum height of 1000 feet for switching the pump off after take-off. This height will usually give pilots enough time to cope with any consequent loss of power, but there may be situations where such a loss of power at even 1000 feet may not be easily countered.

FullyFlapped
15th Nov 2007, 21:09
Sorry to give you the boring answer, but ... shouldn't you be doing whatever the POH says for each type you're flying?

I ask this only because my aeroplane has a fuel pump switch (well, two, actually) but SOP is not to use the pump for take off OR landing under normal circumstances, and this has caught out a lot of people ...

FF :ok:

deice
15th Nov 2007, 21:38
Indeed you need to check what the POH says. In some aircraft turning the pump on may actually cause the engine to stop! Read first, fly after.
In general however, safe altitude is sufficient for pump off.

FlyingForFun
15th Nov 2007, 22:28
In addition to other comments about reading the POH, I'd also suggest that (in general terms, with no particular type in mind) from 1000', you will have sufficient time to do re-start checks, which will include turning the fuel pump on (if appropriate for the type), if you have an engine problem.

FFF
-----------

benhurr
15th Nov 2007, 23:05
In some aircraft turning the pump on may actually cause the engine to stop!

Go on then please explain.

So turning on a fuel pump will cause the engine to stop?

foxmoth
16th Nov 2007, 04:42
There are some a/c that have a high pressure pump used principly for priming, most of these have two settings, low or high, and will cause a rich cut if used incorrectly.

mm_flynn
16th Nov 2007, 05:28
Bonanza B36 or A36TAT with pump set to high will run somewhere between OKish and rich cut. SOP is not to use the pump unless the engine driven one fails or if your starting to get vapour lock problems in a fast climb from a hot airport through the mid teens.

S-Works
16th Nov 2007, 07:56
My Cessna has a dual switch for the fuel pump. High flow to prime and low flow in the event that the engine pump fails. If you turn on the electric pumps while the engine pump is still working it can cause the engine to quit.

This has caused embarrassment to a couple of my low wing driving friends.......

FullyFlapped
16th Nov 2007, 16:02
:) Exactly so, Bose ...

FF :ok: