PDA

View Full Version : hours building

lenos
14th Nov 2007, 04:10
hi, can anyone tell me what the best way of building hours is once you have the cpl with 250hrs logged? and could anyone tell me what jobs are open to me at this stage? also i am intending on working in canada once this stage has been reached so any advice/direction/warning much appreciated. thanx.

Mostly Harmless
14th Nov 2007, 17:41
I guess that depends on your budget. If you have the money, go for some nice long cross country flights to places you would really like to see. Alternatively, fly to places you want to work and drop off resumes to prospective employers.

Don’t instruct unless it is something you want to do. Remember, that student is a guy just like you. He wants good instruction and he wants to get through the course as cheaply as possible. If you are just in it for the hours, you are robbing that student and ultimately yourself.

Now down to the reality of it. The hours in your log book don’t mean anything to anyone except you. Employers will tell you differently, but it is all just a lie, a barrier that is put in front of you to discourage you from bothering them. It is a “Who you know” industry. If you know the right people, it doesn’t matter how many hours you have or what you have flown, they will find a way to put you into an airplane if you are liked and known to them. You are better off spending your money in the bar and drinking with the chief pilots and operations managers. Make lots of friends and always be careful of whose toes you are stepping on, they may be attached to the ass you have to kiss next year. One last piece of advice: Integrity. Make sure you have it. Your reputation is gold in aviation so be consistent and be a person of character and integrity. You will not sit well with those who lack these qualities but since it is a small industry, those without these qualities usually only go so far and then they self destruct.

One last word of wisdom for you. Many, and I mean many, people will make promises to you. Most of them do it with the best of intentions, but are unable to come through in the end for any number of reasons. Best piece of advice I got when I started out: Until you are sitting in it doing 80 knots down the runway, it doesn’t exist.

Good luck in your career. Times are good and I hope you do well.