PDA

View Full Version : FI test

expedite08
13th Nov 2007, 21:34
Hi all,

I am going to be embarking on my FI course soon and have had a really good read through the threads on here. One thing I have not found though is anything on the FI test, what its all about, whats expected, what pifalls or tricks do examiners like etc.

I have read the standards document but I would really appreciate a perspective of the test in terms of 'real world' and reality.

Basically, I'm after acccounts of peoples tests and what they did right or wrong etc plus any advice and tips!

Please PM if you do not wish to post on the forum

Many thanks

Expedite :ok:

The Nr Fairy
14th Nov 2007, 05:40
If the guy teaching you to be an FI is comfortable enough to put you up for the test, the FIE should be only looking to ratify that decision, not catch you out.

I (and Steve D, if you're listening) were both bricking ourselves the day before - I really didn't think I was ready - but the day dawned, and once we were into it, we were put at ease from the get go. My performance over the day was good enough to get a pass, and so was Steve's.

Pitfalls - not being properly rested (don't burn the candle at both ends), not working hard enough over the course, taking it all too lightly, being unfortunate enough to choose to do the FI course with a below par instructor. Nothing the examiner can do about that.

Tricks ? With a good FIE, there shouldn't be any.

Voidhawk9
15th Nov 2007, 03:26
A bad case of nerves before the test is pretty normal. For the initial FI rating, it's tricky because you don't have any real instructing time. I nearly pulled out the day before my test, but my instructor encouraged me to push on, and the day itself actually went very smoothly. :ok:

Know your stuff. If you don't get something quite right, don't try to bs the examiner, they've seen all that before (know this from experience!). :}

Troy McClure
15th Nov 2007, 11:13
They're not expecting you to be an instructor. You've never done any instructing. All they want to see is a spark that you'll make a good one and that your flying is up to scratch. 'Teach' all exercises as your FIC instructor has shown you. Make sure you 'patter' everything you do and get the examiner to follow you through for all demonstrations. And don't get lost....;)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Nov 2007, 12:06
If it helps you I can also give my experience of FI test day.

The test is broken down into sections. You have the long brief, short brief, questions and answers and the flying test.

You will normally be given a subject to cover on your long brief, and given ample time to prepare for it. On my test I got stalling. The short briefing is the lesson that you will teach in the aeroplane, I had PFL's, which was handy because doing a PFL during the test is mandatory as in demonstrating a spin. The question and answer session lasted about an hour for me. The examier can ask you anything from the PPL syllabus, so it is important that you know you stuff. However, if you don't know the answer, its no big deal, you just need to know where to locate the information.

The flying test is pretty straight forward. Even though the main body of the test is what you have briefed for your short briefing, the examier will ask you to demo or teach other aspects. For example on the climb out from the airport I was asked to start teaching the climb.

I think you will find the test fairly relaxed and most likely quite enjoyable, until you have to write out the cheque to pay for it at the end :eek:.

Instructing is a very rewarding job, enjoy it, its a lot of fun. I have been flying a while now, and I still enjoy it.

All the best with the course and test.

VFE
17th Nov 2007, 18:26
I had a first date with a young lady arranged for the evening of my FIC test - took my mind off the test enough to reduce nerves to manageable levels quite nicely. The nerves came on that evening but the FIC 'pass' gave me a boost! :}

VFE.

BillieBob
17th Nov 2007, 22:02
Expedite - I wouldn't worry about the test if I were you. The expressed opinion of the CAA (as of last Friday) is that the FI test is little more than a formality since no FIE is going to jeopardise his income by getting a reputation as a 'hard' examiner. Complete the course and you are pretty much guaranteed to pass the test - the current pass rate is something in excess of 95%.

Voidhawk9
18th Nov 2007, 04:52
Another thing that worked for me (on the advice of my instructors) is patter everything from the time you walk out to the plane... and as predicted, I was told 'okay, that's fine, just get us to the hold point' before the engine was even going. :E

FlyingGasMain
23rd Nov 2007, 16:47
I found the test was as much a learning experience as a test. Certainly the Examiner was an extremely experienced guy who had a lot of useful information.

I was quite nervous on account of being told I could teach Straight and Level Part 1 or Steep Turns. Despite being given the choice it soon became apparent the examiner really wanted me to pick Steep Turns - on a day with glowering clouds and a pretty indistinct horizon ! He said he would be the perfect student. I figured if he was happy doing it, then I would do my best !

The test itself was fine and quite good fun. I made one slightly silly mistake but was allowed to get away with it. It was certainly nothing like as rigorous as the CPL or IR skill tests. They are looking at your potential ability to teach in the air. They know it'll take time to become a fully proficient instructor.