PDA

View Full Version : Follow that Fokker ...

FullyFlapped
13th Nov 2007, 16:21
... or words to that effect. I frequently hear heavies being told to "follow the company 737", "after the company 757 line up" etc etc. I've heard it all over the place, and always assumed it meant an aircraft of the same commercial company as the one being addressed : however, I saw for myself today that this wasn't the case. Probably should have noticed years ago, but wasn't paying attention - must try harder etc :ugh:

Anyway, anybody care to enlighten me ? Apologies if this puts me in the "numpty" corner !

FF :ok:

Chequeredflag
13th Nov 2007, 17:16
I have to say that I thought the same as you. What happened to make you think otherwise??

Contacttower
13th Nov 2007, 17:49
Apologies if this puts me in the "numpty" corner !

Well, if it does then there will be plenty with you I'm sure (me included). Is Chili around per chance....?

BackPacker
13th Nov 2007, 18:29
(From memory)

"Air France 332, follow the KLM 737 to runway XX"
"You mean follow the COMPANY 737 to runway XX"
"Sorry, Air France 332, follow the COMPANY 737 to runway XX"
"Behind the COMPANY 737 to runway XX, Air France 332"

This was the day after the Air France-KLM merger was announced.

Spitoon
13th Nov 2007, 18:41
Confusion - of all sorts - can sometimes arise when an aircraft is being operated by one company but in the livery of another. At busy airports, by saying follow the company 737 or whatever, the controller is reducing the risk of the wrong aircraft being identified by the following pilot and, sometimes, reducing the RTF necessary. Using this technique when the company aircraft doesn't look like a company aircraft is poor practice....and confusing to others who do not have the same situational picture that the pilot and controller involved in the exchange may have.

Contacttower
13th Nov 2007, 19:10
I just asked this question in ATC forum and the answer was...."follow company aircraft" means just that....follow the aircraft of the same company/operator as yourself.

Mark1234
14th Nov 2007, 05:03
Slight thread drift, but now there's some of the embraer e-jets in my part of the world, I'm waiting to hear "follow the e-jet". Would work better in ireland tho :hmm: