PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire from Friends

CessnaCJM
12th Nov 2007, 16:57
I offered a friend of mine the use of my twin for the cost of the fuel whilst his aircraft is on (extended!) annual with a suitably qualified safety pilot - he does not have a twin rating but holds a PPL

The question is he wants to pay me something towards the running costs rather than just fuel costs as he doesnt think its fair on me, if I charge over and above fuel costs am I technically renting the aircraft.

Our friends at the CAA whilst helpful sent me a 444 page document but I could really find the answer

Thanks

gcolyer
12th Nov 2007, 18:13
Without a CofT you cannot rent your aircraft out (legaly). Renting it out without a CofT will most likely render the insurance invalid.

Renting it out to a non Multi qualified pilot is not the brightest of ideas and will most likely render the insurance invalid, unless the renter is having Multi lessons from an ME FI, in which case you would need a CofT.

However in mate rate land it's your choice. Just don't tell anyone or post on public forums:eek:

julian_storey
12th Nov 2007, 18:36
C of T?

To rent out an aircraft it must have a C of A which meets the requirements for public transport (hitherto a public transport C of A).

This kind of arrangement works in a self fly hire situation and would obviously then be entirely legal. If on the other hand you are supplying an aircraft AND a pilot the whole arrangement could look just a bit too much like an aircraft charter to the CAA. Any kind of charter arrangement requires an Air Operators Certificate and obviously a commercial pilot.